Answered

Arc, Projector, HDMI Matrix and Volume Control

Badge +2

I’m sold on the Arc + One SL setup for my home theatre but I have an issue. 

My projector is up high at the back of the room (obviously) so routing the devices at the front of the room into it is impractical.

So they’ll need to go into an HDMI matrix, 4 in, 2 out. Then one HDMI out to the projector, the other to the Arc. I don’t want to use Optical for audio due to its limitations. 

Does anyone know if or how I’d be able to control volume in this setup? My display has no speakers or volume control, so I couldn’t use that in the way a TV normally would. 

Would my only option be the Sonos app? That’s a bit clunky and slow for that moment you want to grab the remote and change the volume. 

Does HomeKit and AirPlay compatibility mean that the playback status and volume would show on the lock screen of my iPhone whenever the Arc was playing audio?

Or are there any other options?

Thanks in advance  

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 19 May 2020, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Firstly, as far as I know, no-one has yet found an HDMI switch which is able to strip audio from an input and export it as HDMI-ARC or -eARC, which is what would be required. If you discover one, please let the community know.

A straightforward HDMI out from a matrix switch is not compatible with Beam/Arc. They’re designed to work off the ARC/eARC signal from a TV.

As far as controlling the volume is concerned, Sonos home theatre products can be trained to accept infra-red codes. Basically you could use any standard TV-compatible IR remote.

Badge +2

Ah ok. So the bit I thought was hard (volume) is easy but the bit I thought was easy (the switch) is hard!

I was looking at this. 
https://www.port-ta.com/uk/matrix/hdmi-matrix/porttar-4x2-hdmitm-matrix-with-audio-4kat60hz.html

The 7th image on here references audio and ARC (if not eARC). 

So any thoughts on that are appreciated! 

That device, like others which have been referenced here, outputs digital audio over coax/optical. The audio can originate from any of the inputs, or the ARC received on either of its two outputs. As it can only extract the audio onto S/PDIF, that’s limited to DD/PCM (or DTS).

The missing piece is another input (like on a TV) onto which an ARC/eARC signal could be generated, such that the device emulates a TV’s port. Plus of course the necessary smarts to extract the full DD+ or TrueHD off whatever signal is passing through the box.

Ah ok. So the bit I thought was hard (volume) is easy but the bit I thought was easy (the switch) is hard!

I was looking at this. 
https://www.port-ta.com/uk/matrix/hdmi-matrix/porttar-4x2-hdmitm-matrix-with-audio-4kat60hz.html

The 7th image on here references audio and ARC (if not eARC). 

So any thoughts on that are appreciated! 

Devices like this that reference ARC (Audio Return Channel) mean that they can take the ARC signal coming off a TV (through the HDMI output port) and convert it over to one of the audio outputs, sometimes also send it to one of the HDMI inputs.   That also seems to be the case for this device, based on it’s description and pictures.

What is needed is a device that essentially mimics what an ARC/eARC TV is supposed to do, which is extract the audio from an HDMI input and send over the ARC pins on a different designated HDMI-ARC input.

Badge +2

Right thanks both. 

So there’s basically no way whatsoever to use the Arc with a projector unless you’re happy with optical audio?

Right thanks both. 

So there’s basically no way whatsoever to use the Arc with a projector unless you’re happy with optical audio?

There isn’t a practical way.  You could use an HDMI matrix like the one you found with one output going to the project and another to an ARC/eARC capable TV that can pass through Atmos, with Sonos Arc connected to it.  Watch the video from the projector, and the TV just gets you the audio.  As I said before, we need a device that mimics what a TV does, so of course, you actually use a TV instead.  I have seen ARC capable TVs for $100 or less, not sure if they pass Atmos though. 

Badge +2

Damn, that’s such a shame. Was excited for my new setup but that’s just not practical. 

You could go ahead with the Sonos kit, but for the time being ‘make do’ with DD5.1. HDMI extractors which output DD audio as optical are very common and relatively cheap. Arc comes with an optical/HDMI adaptor.

Then, when a suitable TV-mimicking device appears which outputs audio over ARC/eARC, use that instead. I have to believe that there’s a market for such a gadget, assuming it’s technically feasible, even if it ends up priced for a relatively low sales volume.

Exactly what my plan is. Partially due to failures in my TV set to provide eARC, and partially due to failures in Apple TV to send a Atmos signal on anything other than MAT, which requires eARC.

Badge +2

Ok thanks. But if no one has ever made a device that can do this with the old sound bars and ARC, I’m not confident an eARC-compatible one is going to emerge :(

But if no one has ever made a device that can do this with the old sound bars and ARC, I’m not confident an eARC-compatible one is going to emerge :(

There wasn’t any motivation back then. Beam can only support DD5.1, and that’s deliverable over optical. Now there’s Atmos (via DD+ or TrueHD) which will struggle to get through most of the TVs in the wild.

Badge +2

Ah, great point. Let’s see what happens then. 

Badge +2

I’m sure someone would have suggested this by now if possible, but just to confirm there’s no way I can use my existing 6in/2out AV Receiver with eARC (Sony STR-DN1080 7.2ch Home Theatre AV Receiver) in place of the proposed HDMI switcher and achieve what I originally wanted, right? For the same reason - it doesn’t mimic a TV’s ARC functionality?

I’m sure someone would have suggested this by now if possible, but just to confirm there’s no way I can use my existing 6in/2out AV Receiver with eARC (Sony STR-DN1080 7.2ch Home Theatre AV Receiver) in place of the proposed HDMI switcher and achieve what I originally wanted, right? For the same reason - it doesn’t mimic a TV’s ARC functionality?

Correct.  Your AVR’s role in eARC is essentially the same as what the Sonos Arc is going, receiving audio from the TV via eARC.  

Badge +2

Well, tonight I’ve taken the plunge so I have until June 9th to decide this was a bad idea, I suppose! I toyed with getting a Beam-based setup but I’m assuming Arc, Sub and Ones will sound amazing even with “just” a 5.1 signal, and there’s not that much Atmos content out there, especially as I don’t play discs.

It’s going to hurt not being able to use it to its full extent, but means I can replace the Play 5 in my cinema room, and have a totally S2-compatible system.

My setup is PS4 (will be PS5), Nintendo Switch, Apple TV 4K (primarily using Infuse with content on my NAS, and Netflix). So I assume I set all these devices to output DD5.1 and that’s what I’ll get out, right? What would happen to DTS content? Or if I had a file encoded with 7.1, or Atmos? I assume as long as my devices are set to output 5.1, they’d do the conversion/downmixing and I wouldn't have any problems. Also, do we know what the Arc does with a 5.1 signal? I’m assuming it uses all the speakers, even those that fire upwards, just not with distinct audio?

This looks like it’ll do the job for audio extraction for now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switcher-Control-Optical-TOSLINK-Supports-4X1-HDMI-Switch-Audio-V2-0/dp/B075G9HH6F - with fingers crossed for the future?

I don’t think the Nintendo Switch can generate a Dolby Digital signal, you may want to double check in the audio settings for the device.

DTS content will be silent, Sonos does not, and to our knowledge, will not be able to decode it. 

Badge +2

Thanks. I will do. 

Hmm, that’s annoying about DTS. I don’t currently pay attention to what audio sources I’m listening to though, as everything just works. Not sure how much of an issue this is...

These days, it’s mostly blu ray discs. Dolby Digital is generally used on most streaming services, well, Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, which the Arc will be able to interpret.  

Userlevel 1

Hi all, I saw this device on youtube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HD-Fury-4k-Integral-0686603105313/dp/B07HWLZFD7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NMU2GA0ZF0B9&dchild=1&keywords=hdfury+integral+2&qid=1592216926&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=hdfury+integral&sprefix=integral2+%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-4K-Vertex-4K60-converter/dp/B077ZDLKSF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=NMU2GA0ZF0B9&dchild=1&keywords=hdfury+integral+2&qid=1592217377&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=hdfury+integral&sprefix=integral2+%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-3

https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/

It’s not cheap (circa £200) but I think(?) it might do the job(?). I’m in exactly the same position, am committed to a projector (not chosen yet; already have an Optoma but looking to upgrade) and was looking at Arc package with Sub and 2 x One SL’s. The issue for me was the same - how to get Atmos (or a decent surround sound) to my Arc. My main input will be Sky Q.

Hi all, I saw this device on youtube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HD-Fury-4k-Integral-0686603105313/dp/B07HWLZFD7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NMU2GA0ZF0B9&dchild=1&keywords=hdfury+integral+2&qid=1592216926&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=hdfury+integral&sprefix=integral2+%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-4K-Vertex-4K60-converter/dp/B077ZDLKSF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=NMU2GA0ZF0B9&dchild=1&keywords=hdfury+integral+2&qid=1592217377&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=hdfury+integral&sprefix=integral2+%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-3

https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/

It’s not cheap (circa £200) but I think(?) it might do the job(?).

No, a suitable device doesn’t yet exist. HDFury are working on one.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/hd-fury-is-working-on-an-earc-solution-for-sonos-arc-full-audio-atmos-from-any-hdmi-sources-6842652

Userlevel 1

Thank you Ratty.

Get the HD Fury Arcana, it's $200 and totally worth it.  I have an Optoma UHD50x and just received the Arcana and it was literally plug and play for me.  ARC with sub and surrounds sounds AMAZING!

Hi joja what did you connect the hdfury arcana to? It only had one port. Did you route it to the optima? I have an optima also, and use an hd matrix or tried to but this doesnt play the arc music. So can you share your connections? Thanks. 

Hi everyone, I just purchased a similar setup as above using a ceiling mounted projector at the back and my sonos arc at the front. However I'm opting for the optical audio for simplicity.

Not sure if anyone else is facing an issue with setting up the audio as I'm not using a TV output and the sonos arc can't seem to pick out the audio from my matrix switch.