ARC over CAT5 or 6 to Sonos Amp

• 14 May 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

I am a Sonos Dealer and Pro AV installer - We have been running into many installations that call for a Sonos Amp powering wired speakers in a Family room Setting. Normally we run an HDMI from the TV ARC Channel to the Sonos AMP HDMI input. Works perfectly and an easy Customer experience using their Providers remote. We have had issues dealing with installations that only have a CAT 5-6 cable running from the TV to an equipment closet where the Sonos AMP will be located. We have tried many HDMI Baluns to get the ARC channel to the AMP with limited success. I have finally found a Balun that passes ARC perfectly and reliably. We used the Vanco EVEXARC unit. This is an FYI since I had trouble finding a product that worked properly. If you are a Dealer and your supplier carries Vanco it is pretty affordable for a specialty Balun. I am sure there may be other Baluns that work but I have stopped looking.

Happy Installing !!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Do you happen to know if this device can handle eARC in addition to standard HDMI ARC, given the significantly larger bandwidth required?

Is it this device?

https://www.vanco1.com/product/evolution-4k-hdbaset-2-0-extender-with-arc-and-digitalanalog-audio-breakouts/

If so, it does not look like it would even carry DD+ as it converts ARC to optical…

ARC functionality allows audio to be received from the HDMI port on the receiver unit to be sent to an amplifier via the optical audio breakout on the transmitter unit

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Is it this device?

https://www.vanco1.com/product/evolution-4k-hdbaset-2-0-extender-with-arc-and-digitalanalog-audio-breakouts/

If so, it does not look like it would even carry DD+ as it converts ARC to optical…

ARC functionality allows audio to be received from the HDMI port on the receiver unit to be sent to an amplifier via the optical audio breakout on the transmitter unit

That doesn’t really matter for the Sonos Amp at this point.

The Sonos Amp is still stuck on the same audio-scheme as the now discontinued Playbar and Playbase and the Beam for that matter: Dolby Digital 5.1 (no plus) is the best it can do.

So pulling audio out to optical is not an issue. As long as it still provides the HDMI-CEC signal needed to control volume etc. which the OP has confirmed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So this device will not do Atmos - not important for an Amp-powered system. How about DD+ if that would become available for non-Atmos Sonos devices? We do not know if this will happen of course, but since the Arc is Atmos and DD+ capable, it would be possible Sonos also makes non-Atmos gear at least DD+ capable.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

So this device will not do Atmos - not important for an Amp-powered system. How about DD+ if that would become available for non-Atmos Sonos devices? We do not know if this will happen of course, but since the Arc is Atmos and DD+ capable, it would be possible Sonos also makes non-Atmos gear at least DD+ capable.

It would do that either as it extracts audio to optical which will not carry DD+.

Badge

The device model number is EVEXARC1 - melvimbe the link that you posted does not look like the actual unit that I used. The EVEXARC1 unit does pass ARC through CAT and does not need anything else. Everyone is correct with their comments. This is a simple surround setup for a non discerning -non audiophile customer that just wants better sound and the ability to play music on their Sonos system.

I cant comment on how it transfers to an AV receiver

The Sonos Amp is still stuck on the same audio-scheme as the now discontinued Playbar and Playbase and the Beam for that matter: Dolby Digital 5.1 (no plus) is the best it can do.

So pulling audio out to optical is not an issue. As long as it still provides the HDMI-CEC signal needed to control volume etc. which the OP has confirmed. 

You are correct.  I was mostly posting in response to Airgetlam’s post above mine about whether it could possible be eARC capable. It would not matter for a Sonos Amp, and you likely wouldn’t need a long lead like this on the Arc.

However, I don’t think it’s using HDMI-CEC for controlling volume.  Not sure how it could if the signal is converted to audio  The description says.

Bi-directional IR pass-through for source and/or display control

So it sounds like volume control is done by IR, not CEC.  Which is just about as good though.

It would do that either as it extracts audio to optical which will not carry DD+.

I think you meant ‘not do that’?

The device model number is EVEXARC1 - melvimbe the link that you posted does not look like the actual unit that I used. The EVEXARC1 unit does pass ARC through CAT and does not need anything else. Everyone is correct with their comments. This is a simple surround setup for a non discerning -non audiophile customer that just wants better sound and the ability to play music on their Sonos system.

So this then:

https://www.vanco1.com/product/hdbaset-extender-over-single-cat5e-cat7-with-arc-and-digital-audio-breakout/

It looks to have pretty much the same functionality.  

Thanks for the tip!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You are correct.  I was mostly posting in response to Airgetlam’s post above mine about whether it could possible be eARC capable. It would not matter for a Sonos Amp, and you likely wouldn’t need a long lead like this on the Arc.

However, I don’t think it’s using HDMI-CEC for controlling volume.  Not sure how it could if the signal is converted to audio  The description says.

Bi-directional IR pass-through for source and/or display control

So it sounds like volume control is done by IR, not CEC.  Which is just about as good though.

I think you meant ‘not do that’?

So this then:

https://www.vanco1.com/product/hdbaset-extender-over-single-cat5e-cat7-with-arc-and-digital-audio-breakout/

It looks to have pretty much the same functionality.  

Thanks for the tip!

Right - will not do that :)

Thank you Pete B for sharing.

I undestood that every HDMI 2.0 based HDMI ovher Ethernet extender should suport ARC because it is part of the HDMI protocol by it self. I’m I correct? If yes, shoudn’t any HDMI 2.0 extender be enough?