Arc doesn't work with Samsung TV Q95T : If you want Dolby Atmos avoid Samsung Flagship TV's

Show first post

92 replies

I have been having the same issue with Q95T and ARC connected to hdmi 3 e-arc. I just spoke with Samsung support and they asked me to under General> external device manage > input signal plus> enable the blue dot on all hdmi sources. 

this resolved the issue now the sound works fine with e-arc enabled and atmos compatibility enabled.

I hope this works for you all.

Thanks for sharing this @Goofy87 
As it is the first comment I see in cyberspace that implies a solved issue I would really appreciated some more details.

• Did it’s stand time (Still no issues since fix)
  • What’s  your setup, external input like appleTV or only built-in apps?

There are great deals on the 75” Q95 right now but I can’t really justify it with an ongoing issue like this.

Hi CarlChrister,

There are still intermittent issues unfortunately  but the fix is fairly easily normal when it happens, toggeling on and off on the e-arc setup. Or worst case restarting the TV by unplugging power, no great for such an expensive setup but it's my life now.

But just a suggestion if you are looking to get a new Samsung why wouldn't you wait for a price drop on the Neo-led models as they have 4x e-arc connections and it's seems to have non of these e-arc issues on the Q95T, I would if I had the choice at the moment.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Netflix only streams DD+ Dolby Atmos. 

Badge

I have a new Samsung Neo QLED: QE65QN95A. I have tried just about anything and Sonos technical support has given up on it claiming that the Sonos Arc is working as designed and intended.
I get audio cutting from anything connected with HDMI (PCM audio works fine).
I have almost given up.. But here is my forum thread on the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ekwok Are you saying that it all works as it is supposed to for the topic starter as he does have Atmos via DD+ on Netflix - the only way it is possible to get Atmos you are not using a 4k Blu ray?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is there any firmware update needed for the TV?Have you also asked Samsung for help? What did they say?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@ekwok Are you saying that it all works as it is supposed to for the topic starter as he does have Atmos via DD+ on Netflix - the only way it is possible to get Atmos you are not using a 4k Blu ray?

@106rallye Yes, that’s right.

I read that streaming services stream lossy DD+ Dolby Atmos only.

To get lossless Dolby Atmos, we need bluray and eARC or Arcana.

Having said that, it seems the new Samsung has some bugs there. The need to turn off eARC for any sound to come through is not right.

I got the HD Fury Arcana for my old Samsung KS8000 with the Sonos Arc and it plays what it should in Atmos and other sources. I’m just waiting on delivery of the Q95T so hoped I could remove the need for the Arcana. Guess not for now. Those that are suffering with lip sync issues or not getting Atmos could try the Arcana.

Hello Sonos

The issue occurs with just the just TV connected to the Arc as well. In my setup I have nothing else other than the TV and Arc via the OneConnect eARC HDMI port - simply do not work well together. A powercycle of the OneConnect seems to work briefly and then back to non-working state.

Userlevel 1
Badge

An update after getting the Playbar switched to the ARC. Installed everything and sound comes through when the "eARC" function on the TV is "OFF" only. When switched to "Auto", no sound what so ever... 

When eARC is off, the sound comes through fine and works properly, except on the PS4 Pro.

There is a setting on the PS4 Pro for Audio to be either "linear", "Dolby" or "DTS". Choosing the "Dolby" or "DTS" option, the sound still works and sounds great, however there is a second or so delay in the sound so this doesn't work. (ex. take a shot in Call of Duty and wait for a second to hear the sound of that shot....) So setting has to be "Linear" to work without lag. 

Have tried different setting combinations on the TV to try and get sound with eARC enabled, but no luck so far. Shame really.…

Can’t believe after reading Ty Rua’s post that this is geography related! So much for an international business…. Hoping Samsung figure out what is happening and come up with a proper solution for this soon. I will raise an issue myself to try and get some pressure on the matter.

Interestingly, I finally called Samsung Support in Australia. They categorically stated there are NO issues with eARC connections with any soundbar. I specifically asked about the Sonos ARC. And The Frame and Q95T. No issues. None. Ever….

Fortunately I have a transcript so will use this as ammo when the crunch moment comes, and I’ve installed a house full of Samsung and Sonos. 

Thank to all for your help with the issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It’s baffling. I have a samsung 950T with one connect box, running sky and native apps. I have had the problem from the day I purchased the Arc on both sky and the native apps and the inbuilt tv receiver. For a while, some days that I turned the tv on i would get the i second sound drop...for the last three weeks it happens every single time the tv is turned on. The only way I have found to sort it is to pull out the hdmi lead for a few seconds to get tv sound, and then reconnect again. For me, this is both a problem that should never be happening with such expensive items from both companies, and also is now a problem that is worse than ever. Six months of misery.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@CvH7 What's the problem with the Linear setting on the PS4? Doesn't that give you surround?

DTS shouldn't work because Sonos doesn't do that - my Samsung QE65Q90 translates DTS to stereo. Dolby should be lipsync though….

Thde problem is nog geography-related as such. It is just that Samsung uses the same model numders in different countries for TV's with and TV's without the Connect box. It seems the problem lies with the Connect box. So countries without the Connect box are good...

Userlevel 1
Badge

@106rallye The linear setting works fine and does give surround sound yes, however there does seem to be a difference in sound quality and “immersion” when the “Dolby” setting in enabled, which sounds better than the linear mode, however with “Dolby” I get the delay in sound vs. video… I have my PS4 connected to the one-connect box, so the sound is sent via there to the Sonos system. (DTS i know is not supported) Not sure how i can get lip-sync working properly when using “Dolby” setting

I agree with your comment on the one-connect box. it appears that is indeed where the problem lies unfortunately… I just raised the issue with Samsung support here in Holland, and they said they will send me a new One-connect box straight away. I told them I don’t think that will change the issue, but they want to try it anyway. Guess it’s never a bad thing having a spare one-connect box given they are crazy expensive haha. Still doesn’t fix the issue though :(

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I've got the same TV as you and I'm having the exact same problems - It's all well and good that Sonos is saying the difference we are missing out on is negligible however when I use my Arc with my Xbox One X I have a horrible audio delay, which i believe i could fix if i set the TV audio to Pass Through mode - Unfortunately this is only a feature available through eARC mode which we're unable to use! I've been in touch with Samsung a few times about this issue and they just keep sending me back to Sonos claiming that as far as they can tell there are no issues on their end.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Edm

I have raised also as follows:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/sonos-and-samsung-earc-compatibility-issues-6844762

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Netflix only streams DD+ Dolby Atmos. 

Thats not the problem - you get NO sound on enabling eARC on the tv. I have the same issue. I like EDM have spent a lot of money for future proof around eArc for it not to work, when uncompressed atmos arrives, we want to take advantage of it so this is a big deal. 

Please see my link

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/sonos-and-samsung-earc-compatibility-issues-6844762

This expands on the issue

Interestingly this was the exact setup I was going to buy in 2-3 weeks…

Q: Considering there’s no fix (I won’t buy a broken setup), should I consider keeping

• the soundbar or
  • the TV… 

for my setup? Or wait?

As far as I understand, there’s also an eARC problem with the soundbar and LG TVs. So I’m totally confused now. :astonished: