Arc doesn't work with Samsung TV Q95T : If you want Dolby Atmos avoid Samsung Flagship TV's

Show first post

92 replies

I’m in Australia.

I have a new Sonos Arc, Sub, Five and Samsung Q95T 75”.

Sound intermittently cuts out for a second every few seconds. Can be resolved by playing around with sound settings - but reverts back to same problem every time TV is turned off and on. Using in built streaming apps. 

Is there a solution that doesn’t involve me getting angry every time I turn on the TV and spending 5 mins changing settings, only to feel like I’m getting compromised sound as a result? 

Pretty sure all firmware is up to date. 

Thanks (hopefully) in advance!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, we’ll surely let you know once we have an available update and resolution. We’ll do all our best here. Just let us know if there’s anything we can help with. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

According to this thread on Samsung’s support site, they are working on a fix.  Recommend people chime-in there as well:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Samsung has an updated posted as of today! My TV (Frame 75”) wouldn’t auto download so I manually downloaded and installed on a flash drive. Everything appears to be working as expected eARC auto is turned on and working!!

btollenaar, could you please check what is the firmware version you have now on your TV?
My Frame 55” does not have an update on Samsung’s site, just the same v1304 from August.

According to this thread on Samsung’s support site, they are working on a fix.  Recommend people chime-in there as well:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Samsung has an updated posted as of today! My TV (Frame 75”) wouldn’t auto download so I manually downloaded and installed on a flash drive. Everything appears to be working as expected eARC auto is turned on and working!!

btollenaar, could you please check what is the firmware version you have now on your TV?
My Frame 55” does not have an update on Samsung’s site, just the same v1304 from August.

It’s listed as 1402 - released on 9/29.

I had to manually download it on to a flash drive and update it from that.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

I bought a New Samsung TV and Sonos ARC Soundbar last week: 

Samsung TV Model QE65Q95TATXXU

Software Version : 1115.5

Connected Sonos Arc to the eARC port 3 on the TV and the Arc only delivers any sound when the eARC is switched off (no Sound on Automatic). The Sound output on the TV is only recognising the ARC as connected to HDMI when it should recognise it as connected to the eARC HDMI port. The Dolby ATMOS compatibility button makes no difference when on or off. Pass through setting makes no difference. Dolby Atmos (DD+) is recognised by the SONOS App when playing directly from Netfix App on TV, this means the TV and SONOS ARC are not talking to each other and not recognising the eARC signal (it should say DOLBY Atmos not DOLBY Atmos DD+). Checked all connections and have rebooted both TV and Soundbar with no success

Not ideal when the TV and Sound Bar cost over £3500, I just want it to work and thats what should be delivered by SONOS.

Spoke to SONOS Support (Xander P) and these are the quotes from him:

It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's and you would have thought that SONOS would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not.

Suggest SONOS and Samsung get their act together and sort out the issue.

Have you resolved this issue? Does this issue happen for tv via sky tv ? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Connected Sonos Arc to the eARC port 3 on the TV and the Arc only delivers any sound when the eARC is switched off (no Sound on Automatic). The Sound output on the TV is only recognising the ARC as connected to HDMI when it should recognise it as connected to the eARC HDMI port. The Dolby ATMOS compatibility button makes no difference when on or off. Pass through setting makes no difference. Dolby Atmos (DD+) is recognised by the SONOS App when playing directly from Netfix App on TV, this means the TV and SONOS ARC are not talking to each other and not recognising the eARC signal (it should say DOLBY Atmos not DOLBY Atmos DD+). Checked all connections and have rebooted both TV and Soundbar with no success

Not ideal when the TV and Sound Bar cost over £3500, I just want it to work and thats what should be delivered by SONOS.

It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's and you would have thought that SONOS would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not.

Have you resolved this issue? Does this issue happen for tv via sky tv ? 

Yes still have the same problem, have to use optical cable and yes it does happen for Sky Q tv with lip sync issues

I have the 2020 Samsung Q850T, 65” 8K TV and Dolby Atmos is playing via eArc HDMI port. It also shows on the App S2.  Best of luck for a fix.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Here's an update for all users using Samsung 2020 QLED (LS03T) Range in the US.
Samsung released a firmware update version 1402.1 that may assist in mitigating the issue.
Currently, the update appears to only be available for US models and via a manual USB update.
Reach out to Samsung for further assistance and hope this helps.
We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Mikelev at least an update with some comforting feel to it. Now lets hope they are actually working together and get this sorted asap!

Badge

Hi,

i am planning to use a similar setup with a Samsung GQ55Q95TGT and a Sonos Arc as well. But I was hoping to use the Apple TV 4K connected to the TV. Does this make sense and will the TV be able to pass through Dolby Atmos now with the new software update? 

I understood that HDfury Arcana might be helpful, but I’m wondering if I need this at all now?

Thank you. 

Userlevel 2

Hi Mikelev

Your link doesn’t seem to be working?

Just a quick further comment, I may be accused of being cynical but its amazing that the Samsung Soundbars seem to work okay on eARC but the Sonos ones don’t, wonder why that is?

The issue we are describing is widespread on the Samsung Forums ( Re: eARC issue on new Q95T with SONOS ARC) as well as Sonos, I think we are just going to suffer from one company blaming the other. Lets hope someone pulls their finger out.

Userlevel 2

Hi Guys,

i’m looking to buy the Samsung Q95T but after reading all these comments, i’m not sure if the issues have been resolved. I will be using Sky Q, a 4k Bluray, Firestick, etc. Any ideas?

best

John

I have a Samsung Q60t 55” (2020) and the Sonos Arc and I am really struggling. So many issues, audio playing out the arc but the app won’t connect and link with the TV, tv remote turns up the inbuilt speakers so I get weird phasing. I can see the Sonos artwork on the tv source but it doesn’t recognise it as the Sonos Arc (it has previously). Every hour of every day is some new unsolvable issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Mikelev

Your link doesn’t seem to be working?

Just a quick further comment, I may be accused of being cynical but its amazing that the Samsung Soundbars seem to work okay on eARC but the Sonos ones don’t, wonder why that is?

The issue we are describing is widespread on the Samsung Forums ( Re: eARC issue on new Q95T with SONOS ARC) as well as Sonos, I think we are just going to suffer from one company blaming the other. Lets hope someone pulls their finger out.

Yes - agree, also its looking like Q80T does work with eARC - and so the theory is that this is a one connect box issue as TV's without appear to work.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I read through the posts and other forums online to see a lot of people with this issue.

I just purchased the 65 inch Q95T (in Europe) which has the “one-connect” box. I paired this with a Sonos 5.1 setup (1x playbar, 1x sub(gen 2), 2x Sonon One (for surround)). Currently have the Sonos Arc waiting for me at the store for pick-up to exchange the Playbar (within the return period). Reading this now, I am heavily doubting to get the Sonos Arc and replace the playbar, which works perfectly now with the tv and PS4 Pro. I wanted the Sonos Arc because it has HDMI eARC and supports more codecs than the playbar. 

In your experience, after installation, do you at the minimum get the same level of sound as with the Playbar and is the problem only an issue with Dolby Atmos? Or do the 2 products not work at all together( Sonos Arc & Samsung Q95T)?

I read one user had the issue disappear after a restart, but that seems very strange if so many other users face the same problem. 

I am not too fussed if the Atmos part is the only thing that does not yet function 100%, but i want to make 100% sure it will still work and sound amazing on anything not Atmos.

Thanks for any advice and opinions. 

Hi, Does anyone see the actual volume level with increasing/decresing volume on the Samsung 95T whilst using the Sonos Arc? I only see Reciever HDMI and the + and - symbols, but no volume level

Userlevel 1
Badge

good stuff @Mikelev ! Let’s hope they work something out quickly and we can put this behind us and just enjoy the products :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Why wasn’t this resolved before the Arc launch? Sonos must have tested a bunch of combinations, and should have notified the other manufacturers of issues and worked with them to have the fixes ready for launch.

This is common practice in the AV space, especially for complicated items like HDMI interop.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, Does anyone see the actual volume level with increasing/decresing volume on the Samsung 95T whilst using the Sonos Arc? I only see Reciever HDMI and the + and - symbols, but no volume level

No, and you won’t. What you see currently is correct, as the TV’s source for sound is the Arc, which is external from the TV, hence it cannot know what level the Arc operates to. 

If you do need to see what “level” you are at, you can open the Sonos app, go the the “living room” or which ever room shows the TV as the source. You can see the volume level on the app when you toggle with the remote

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have to connect my Samsung Q95 T with the Sonos Arc using the optical cable. I am also using Sky Q which doesn’t help. All sorts of lip sync issues which are fine with the optical audio cable but of course defeats getting the Dolby Atmos. I have kept the Sonos Arc on the basis that it’s still slightly better sound than the TV but my plans to buy the additional Sonos system speakers are definitely on hold. Would I recommend anyone to buy a Sonos Arc? No!

I’m puzzled that this issue doesn’t appear to feature in any of the Youtube videos reviews.

What is stopping you from connecting the ARC and the TV with a 2.1HDMI cable?

Even with the e-arc functionality issue, which does actually not limit the Arc’s capability in producing sound, the ARC is capable of great sound imo. Atmos content can still be played (HDMI cable is a requirement tho, optical cannot support Atmos) and the sounds effects are quite amazing. I have the ARC paired with 2 Sonos One’s for surround and the subwoofer - no complaints here about quality of sound at all!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used the hdmi cable supplied with the Sonos and even bought a new high quality 2.1 hdmi cable with the same result.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used the hdmi cable supplied with the Sonos and even bought a new high quality 2.1 hdmi cable with the same result.

Do you have sound issues even when the e-arc functionality is turned off? 

I’ve the Sonos Arc and just purchased a Samsung 65 Q95T, its running 1402, one connect box, and have eArc turned on, sound initially worked only as stereo for Sky Q,  the TV just recognises the soundbar as a receiver unlike my Q90R which knew it was an Arc as soon as it was plugged in. For Sky I’ve changed the output from PCM/Auto to pass through and according to the Sonos app I’m receiving all the correct sound, Netflix and other streaming apps seem to work fine when its set to PCM/Auto. Not getting any issues sound wise at the moment. Going to test it all weekend and any issues the TV will be going back on Monday. If the Sonos app is showing all the correct sound inputs I am to take it all is working now as intended?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Following this closely for a resolution. I’m still within the return timeframe. 

Thank you folks for contributing to this issue. Just buying a 75” Samsung 95T and a new sound system to go with my Beam and Sonos Ones, so its worrying the HDMI-ARC doesn’t work with the Sonos ARC. But could I route it through a Sonos AMP then to the ARC? Does the Samsung HDMI-ARC outlput work with the Sonos AMP?