Arc doesn't work with Samsung TV Q95T : If you want Dolby Atmos avoid Samsung Flagship TV's

Show first post

92 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, Does anyone see the actual volume level with increasing/decresing volume on the Samsung 95T whilst using the Sonos Arc? I only see Reciever HDMI and the + and - symbols, but no volume level

No, and you won’t. What you see currently is correct, as the TV’s source for sound is the Arc, which is external from the TV, hence it cannot know what level the Arc operates to. 

If you do need to see what “level” you are at, you can open the Sonos app, go the the “living room” or which ever room shows the TV as the source. You can see the volume level on the app when you toggle with the remote

Hi, Does anyone see the actual volume level with increasing/decresing volume on the Samsung 95T whilst using the Sonos Arc? I only see Reciever HDMI and the + and - symbols, but no volume level

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have to connect my Samsung Q95 T with the Sonos Arc using the optical cable. I am also using Sky Q which doesn’t help. All sorts of lip sync issues which are fine with the optical audio cable but of course defeats getting the Dolby Atmos. I have kept the Sonos Arc on the basis that it’s still slightly better sound than the TV but my plans to buy the additional Sonos system speakers are definitely on hold. Would I recommend anyone to buy a Sonos Arc? No!

I’m puzzled that this issue doesn’t appear to feature in any of the Youtube videos reviews.

Interestingly this was the exact setup I was going to buy in 2-3 weeks…

Q: Considering there’s no fix (I won’t buy a broken setup), should I consider keeping

• the soundbar or
  • the TV… 

for my setup? Or wait?

As far as I understand, there’s also an eARC problem with the soundbar and LG TVs. So I’m totally confused now. :astonished:

Hi guys. i’m thinking of getting the Q95T and ARC. And i’m wondering does the one connect box supports hdmi 2.1 and hdmi eARC or do i have to connect the cables directly to TV?  

The update enables you to turn on EARC but the audio stuttering is now worse. Samsung needs to fix this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Here's an update for all users using Samsung 2020 QLED (LS03T) Range in the US.
Samsung released a firmware update version 1402.1 that may assist in mitigating the issue.
Currently, the update appears to only be available for US models and via a manual USB update.
Reach out to Samsung for further assistance and hope this helps.
We and the community are always here to help.

According to this thread on Samsung’s support site, they are working on a fix.  Recommend people chime-in there as well:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Samsung has an updated posted as of today! My TV (Frame 75”) wouldn’t auto download so I manually downloaded and installed on a flash drive. Everything appears to be working as expected eARC auto is turned on and working!!

btollenaar, could you please check what is the firmware version you have now on your TV?
My Frame 55” does not have an update on Samsung’s site, just the same v1304 from August.

It’s listed as 1402 - released on 9/29.

I had to manually download it on to a flash drive and update it from that.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

According to this thread on Samsung’s support site, they are working on a fix.  Recommend people chime-in there as well:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Samsung has an updated posted as of today! My TV (Frame 75”) wouldn’t auto download so I manually downloaded and installed on a flash drive. Everything appears to be working as expected eARC auto is turned on and working!!

btollenaar, could you please check what is the firmware version you have now on your TV?
My Frame 55” does not have an update on Samsung’s site, just the same v1304 from August.

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

@Raffles001

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Any questions, just ask. Pre-order finishes soon. Beta testing has been going on a while now and it works well. 

While I appreciate the product you are sharing, it should not be needed for this use case.  Samsung created and marketed these sets with eARC capabilities - it just isn’t working.  The product you share is intended for setups where eARC does not exist. 

Samsung should fix this, not the consumer spending more $ on gear they shouldn’t need.

I recently bought a 2020 Samsung Frame and was experiencing the same issues with the Arc (also connected to Apple TV 4K box) but have discovered that powering all devices ON/OFF seems to resolve the issue and I get sound with eARC set to Auto. I have tried to power cycle devices individually but for now can’t find the culprit it only seems to work if I power off everything. If I put the Frame in Art Mode and play music on the Arc and then try to switch back to TV in the Sonos app I lose sound and have to power cycle everything again. Annoying but at least I can use this little workaround(??) when I want to watch Atmos movies and for regular TV viewing I disable eARC on the TV. Wondering if others can try to see if this works the same for them?

Many thanks for the details, I’ll have a look into it, I guess it’s a work around until Sonos sort out the mess..!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Raffles001 

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Any questions, just ask. Pre-order finishes soon. Beta testing has been going on a while now and it works well. 

So, its taken over a month to get any formal response to the obvious issue from Sonos. (Samsung still have their heads in the sand). I suppose we should be grateful that its now recognised as a problem but to be honest this should have been sorted out by proper pre launch testing by Sonos especially with major brands such as Samsung.

Just be aware that very recent Samsung TV update (TV is a Q95T 65”  on 1304 Firmware) messed up my Sonos settings again and the ARC was being recognised as a NOW TV app rather than the soundbar! I solved this by replacing the Sonos HDMI cable with a full spec 8K cable which immediately recognised the Arc. Unfortunately the eARC on /off problem still remains.

If this wasn’t such a good product (The Arc and the TV) I would have sent them both back however I can remain patient until a solution is found and I also have a Fury Arcana on order (which will solve all the problems without input from Sonos or Samsung).

I have exactly the same setup and even bought a 8k lead (like yourself) to replace the cheap looking lead supplied by Sonos.

im a novice when it comes to the tech etc, can you tell me what a Fury Arcana does to resolve the issue, if so it could be a route for me to follow.

again like yourself I have invested a lot of money to start changing the TV and Sonos Arc as I still think it’s the best, hopefully the bugs will be sorted and I can sit back and enjoy my purchases.

Userlevel 1

It’s amazing that when you spare no costs and buy both brands “flagship”/”top of the line” products because you want the best quality of these two brands, that it does not work together…. hell of a way to spend over 4 grand just to be stuck with customer service teams on both sides.

It would appear the Samsung/ Sonos comparability issues relate to geography. I have a new 2020 Samsung Q80t, ARC, Sub Gen 2 and two One SL’s and am using eArc and receiving Atmos sound. I live in Canada and we do not get the One Connect box here. 

That suggests it’s not geography but the presence of the One Connect box, like everyone seems to already suspect. Another very unhappy customer here, unable to get the products working together...

Userlevel 1

Hi Krishma M - thank you for the update!

The Samsung ‘The Frame’ series for 2020 is also impacted, model LS03T.  Mine is the 55”, but it should apply to all sizes. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Imagination, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

To all, please confirm if your TV is a Samsung with eARC support and ensure the TV's firmware is fully up to date. Below are the known affected Samsung TV's:

Samsung 55Q95T
Samsung QE75LS03T
Samsung QA75LS03TASX
Samsung QA65LS03TAWXXY

If the TV model isn't listed in the table above and you have the same problem, please let us know.

Workarounds

• Turn off eARC within the TV's settings when playing Dolby Digital Plus ( Atmos) content from either externally connected HDMI devices or inbuilt Apps. Please check here for more information on how to disable it. Please note that this can vary from model to model. If you can't find the setting, reach out to Samsung.
  • *Note As Dolby TrueHD Atmos content is not affected, if you utilize True HD (Atmos) content from an external device ( such as Blu Ray / Xbox etc) you will need to turn eArc back on when playing this content.

And just to let you know that we have reported the issue to Samsung and are assisting them in resolving the issue. We encourage all customers with the same problem to report the issue to Samsung also. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 2

Hi folks, we’ll surely let you know once we have an available update and resolution. We’ll do all our best here. Just let us know if there’s anything we can help with. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Dear Krishma,

Yes, it would be very helpful if you could inform us on your progress please:

• Have you established what the root cause of the problem is? If so, what is it? If not, which are your best theories to date?

• Do you believe, given the information that is available to you at this time, that the problem will be fixed? 

• If so, how will the problem most likely be fixed and what is your best informed guess on within what time frame the problem will be fixed?

May I kindly ask all forum users who would like these questions to be answered, to state this in the forum.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, we’ll surely let you know once we have an available update and resolution. We’ll do all our best here. Just let us know if there’s anything we can help with. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Userlevel 2

So, its taken over a month to get any formal response to the obvious issue from Sonos. (Samsung still have their heads in the sand). I suppose we should be grateful that its now recognised as a problem but to be honest this should have been sorted out by proper pre launch testing by Sonos especially with major brands such as Samsung.

Just be aware that very recent Samsung TV update (TV is a Q95T 65”  on 1304 Firmware) messed up my Sonos settings again and the ARC was being recognised as a NOW TV app rather than the soundbar! I solved this by replacing the Sonos HDMI cable with a full spec 8K cable which immediately recognised the Arc. Unfortunately the eARC on /off problem still remains.

If this wasn’t such a good product (The Arc and the TV) I would have sent them both back however I can remain patient until a solution is found and I also have a Fury Arcana on order (which will solve all the problems without input from Sonos or Samsung).

Hello Sonos

The issue occurs with just the just TV connected to the Arc as well. In my setup I have nothing else other than the TV and Arc via the OneConnect eARC HDMI port - simply do not work well together. A powercycle of the OneConnect seems to work briefly and then back to non-working state.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Just to let you know that we are aware of the issue when eARC is enabled on their Samsung 55Q95T, DD+ Atmos content from inbuilt apps or different sources within the TV will not receive audio (unable to output). If one turns off eARC, the TV will successfully pass DD+ Atmos to Arc. The issue occurs when using external devices with eARC turned on (PlayStation 4), also with all inbuilt apps, Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ . For now, disable eARC on the Samsung 55Q95T TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content and we’ll let you know here once we have an available update as our internal teams are currently working on a permanent fix. We’re always here if you have any questions.

Samsung…

Before i got into sonos, i bought a samsung q60t (2020) soundbar..the bar only detects the connection as D.In not Ark to my non samsung tv..now im happy with my beam+sub gen3..

Sorry for the off topic...