Answered

Arc Connection, Cox Cable Box, Receiver

• 20 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Looking to get the SONOS Arc and Sub. I’m a little confused/concerned about hooking it up to my system. Currently I run the following into my Pioneer receiver:

Cox Cable Box

SONOS Port (to stream music into current home theatre speakers)

Blue Ray disc player

Apple TV

The receiver then controls the sounds that are sent into the speakers via wires.

As I understand it, setting up the ARC, I would connect the ARC to the HDMI (ARC) connector of the TV. My TV, Pioneer Viera VT30 has just one HDMI (ARC) connection. This requires that I connect the Cox Cable box directly to the TV, presumably to one of the other HDMI connections.

Would I then connect the Blue Ray player and the Apple TV directly to the TV? If this is the case, it seems that my receiver would become unnecessary.

Thank you for your time to review my questions.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 October 2020, 02:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, all devices do indeed normally connect to the TV, which then sends whatever sound is being ‘watched’ back out via the ARC port to the Arc. And often, this makes an external amp, used for switching, redundant. 

Badge

Follow-up question:

Will the Arc also be visible with my home SONOS system? Will my music play through the ARC automatically?

Yes, it would be a ‘room’ in the Sonos software.

I’m not sure what you mean by your second question. No music plays through any Sonos speaker automatically, you have to choose to play the music using the controller. This includes the Arc. 

Badge

Airgetlam,

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Thank you!

Badge

Follow up. The Arc has been installed. Very simple addition. Now, can I control the volume using my Cox Cable remote controller? At this point it seems that the only way to adjust volume is by using the SONOS app. This is problematic.

Badge

I figured it out. Set up is complete!