Answered

Arc Compatibility with Samsung UE65NU7300K

I am moving house soon and was planning on buying Sonos Beam to go with existing two Play:1s and a sub for surround sound.

Now my head has been turned by the Sonos Arc, instead of the Beam. But I am a little concerned as to whether it will be compatible with my TV. It's a Samsung UE65NU7300K. I've attempted to source the answer online but have only succeeded in confusing myself, but have the inkling it is not going  to be. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

And if it is not compatible, are there ways around it, ie adaptors etc?

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 13 May 2020, 20:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Matt, according to rtings.com, that TV has HDMI with ARC which can send Dolby Digital 5.1 audio to a connected device, which should work great for either the Arc or Beam. As to if it supports Atmos, there’s no eARC, so it can’t directly send the higher quality streams, but it doesn’t specify if it can send Dolby Digital Plus (which can carry compressed Atmos). You make have to contact Samsung to ask that.

Thanks guys

Hi Matt, according to rtings.com, that TV has HDMI with ARC which can send Dolby Digital 5.1 audio to a connected device, which should work great for either the Arc or Beam. As to if it supports Atmos, there’s no eARC, so it can’t directly send the higher quality streams, but it doesn’t specify if it can send Dolby Digital Plus (which can carry compressed Atmos). You make have to contact Samsung to ask that.

Actually Ryan S, the model shown here  UE65NU7300K doesn’t appear to have HDMI-ARC.

Actually Ryan S, the model shown here  UE65NU7300K doesn’t appear to have HDMI-ARC.

Now looked at other sources and it does say HDMI-ARC.  Perhaps it came in a later firmware update and was not in the manual. To the OP, go with Ryan’s answer.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I think it’s the same as this one (though different sized). I see they have HDMI A / Return Ch. Support Yes, listed, which should be HDMI ARC. 

I think it’s the same as this one (though different sized). I see they have HDMI A / Return Ch. Support Yes, listed, which should be HDMI ARC. 

Yes, I’ve looked further and see that it does have HDMI-ARC.  See my reply above. 

Your link is to a Denon AVR...

Your link is to a Denon AVR...

Whoops!  Too many manuals open in the browser.  Fixed now.

I've pulled the TV out and it does have a HDMI Arc connection. So all good, I think? Does that alone mean it will be able to support Dolby Atmos? If so, brilliant! Apologies for not being very technically minded, hence all these questions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Unfortunately, just having an HDMI ARC port doesn’t mean you’ll get Atmos. First off, you have to have something with Atmos content sending it to the TV, then the TV needs to be able to pass that audio through to the Sonos device connected. So you could get Atmos, it’s not immediately impossible since you have HDMI ARC, but there are other things to consider.

Badge +1

Reading your post and not too confused :nerd:

I have a Samsung UN 75H7150 TV that supports Dolby Digital plus and it has a ARC/HDMI input. Will I be able to get all the functionality from the Sonos ARC if I get it, such as Dolby Atmos etc.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

New Arcana device from HDFury solves the problem. https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Device separates out full audio up to Dolby Atmos over Dolby TrueHD from any external HDMI source and sends it to the Sonos Arc and passthrough full 4k video up to 18gbps!  They are accepting pre orders now.