Arc/Atmos - TV support for passthrough from Apple 4k?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I think the ATV will only output  Uncompressed original audio via LPCM which I don’t think the Arc supports (it’s not mentioned anywhere). At least my ATV 4K only outputs LPCM or downmixed to DD5.1 / 2.0. 

Thanks!  I’d love to upgrade to the the Arc but was unsure of my potential benefits. My Beam is underpowered for the room and my Playbar is under-featured. 

Yes, my TV has HDMI-ARC but not eARC. 

With the Apple 4K, this will be an excellent addition then. Thanks for the reply. 

You do want to make sure your TV supports Dolby Digital pass thru.  There’s’s a list (though not comprehensive) here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Thanks!  I’d love to upgrade to the the Arc but was unsure of my potential benefits. My Beam is underpowered for the room and my Playbar is under-featured. 

Yes, my TV has HDMI-ARC but not eARC. 

With the Apple 4K, this will be an excellent addition then. Thanks for the reply. 

I’m a little confused. I have an Apple 4K going into a TV that’s older than a few years. Will the Atmos sound from the TV be pushed through the TV via the eARC/eHDMI connection even though Atmos isn’t native to the TV itself?

If your TV is older than a few years, it has no eARC.  eARC is barely on many brand new TV’s.  As for HDMI-ARC, if your TV has HDMI-ARC capability, then it is able to pass Atmos/DD+.

ETA: There are really no “Atmos native TV’s”, except for a few units that have built-in Atmos speakers.  Atmos is a codec, and only requires the TV to have ARC (DD+) or eARC (TrueHD) for support.