arc after new update

Userlevel 1

I own the arc,sub and  sl1s downloaded the  lasted updated and the volume is at least 20% less then before.. I have a big room and before 60% was loud and now it’s at 100%  with the same movie.. I bought the arc because of my room size and now I’m very disappointed in its performance..  can i downgrade to old software version? 

16 replies

There have been some who claim it is quieter, and others who have not found that to be the case. While it is not possible to downgrade to a previous software version, you may want to submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. Providing Sonos with ‘hard data’ might help them figure out if there is indeed a software issue. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +1

Did you happen to retune with Trueplay? After updating and retuning, I noticed a difference in audio quality all around and better dialogue clarity like they said it would. I did notice the volume had to be slightly turned up higher, but no more than 54-56 volume. I watched a few episodes of a show that was in Dolby Digital 5.1 and the difference was noticeable compared to before the update.

I did redo TruePlay, but I’ve always used my ears to determine what volume to use, and never particularly worried about the volume ‘numbers’ involved. I can make it too loud, and too soft, that’s all I’m pretty much worried about. Whether it was X before, and now is X+Y doesn’t really bother me. 

Im afraid my A/B testing was far enough apart that I didn’t particularly notice any significant difference, as I might have if I’d done an immediate comparison. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m experiencing the same effect. Volume drop is significant enough to notice. Content that I used to play at 20 I now have to crank it to almost 50. TruePlay did not help. Even the quality of sound seems off. Hard to explain. All happened after the update to 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I started a thread about this issue

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/patch-14-12-6872252

My main concern is not the volume level but the drop in quality of sound compared to 14.10

Clarity was never an issue for me I never had to use speech enhancement for dialogue but now I  have to make so many adjustments after doing truplay to get something close to what I had before anyway they are looking into it 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Same here..volume level is not there. This update is horrible!  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos isn’t loud to begin with so them lowering the volume boggles my mind.  

Same issue, almost think the tv speaker would be better. 

This is so horrible. It feels so wrong to turn the volume to 40 when I used to have it on 10. The sound also changed a lot (yes I did tune my system again with true play). Sonos fix your ish, this is unacceptable.

Badge

Please fix it, i love my Sonos system but not so much right now.  i agree with everything that has been stated. i have to turn the volume way up and the sound is quality of a Sonos system is just not there any more sad day for Sonos. i thought it was my system until i started doing research on the new 14.12 system update and everything that others have stated is true for me as well. good to know i am not crazy our losing my hearing lol. so fix it please Sonos. (arc, 2 play 1, and sub)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Please fix it, i love my Sonos system but not so much right now.  i agree with everything that has been stated. i have to turn the volume way up and the sound is quality of a Sonos system is just not there any more sad day for Sonos. i thought it was my system until i started doing research on the new 14.12 system update and everything that others have stated is true for me as well. good to know i am not crazy our losing my hearing lol. so fix it please Sonos. (arc, 2 play 1, and sub)

Ive got the same issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hey Sonos… we know you read these posts and complaints… but you don’t reply to anyone.. why not? 

Because you are dealing with a large corporation with lawyers on its payroll. The front line staff that probably reads all comments here will be under strict instructions as to when they can respond and in what manner because identified as Sonos Staff, the company will not want them to expose Sonos even unwittingly. As front line staff, they will be tasked, hopefully, with the job of feeding all the complaints upwards in Sonos.

Userlevel 7

Hey Sonos… we know you read these posts and complaints… but you don’t reply to anyone.. why not? 

They already replied…

They already replied…

Indeed; and I am a little surprised to even read this there:

We acknowledge that this change was not made more clear in the release notes and in the future we’ll be sure to make sure we communicate these rare changes more effectively. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Shocking really..