Apple TV unable to switch Dolby formatting with Arc

I just got my new Arc and Dolby Atmos sounds amazing, but I noticed that all other Dolby formats show up as “PCM 5.1” when using my Apple TV 4K.  Switching the formatting back to Dolby solves this issue, but means I’m having to constantly tinker with the Settings to get the right Dolby surround for the right movie/TV Show.  Has anyone else had this issue and is there a better solution?  Is Apple aware of this issue?  (Everything, including my Apple TV app on the Sony TV works flawlessly in switching formats, so this is an Apple TV 4K issue only.)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you notice a difference in sound quality between PCM 5.1 and DD? Is there no standard setting for everything to give DD on an Apple TV?

PCM 5.1 lacks the same clarity and definition that Dolby 5.1 produces.  There is not a standard “everything Dolby” from my experience so far.  I thought Dolby Atmos would allow it to swap between Dolby formats but that does not happen.

Userlevel 7

The Apple TV 4K uses a Dolby MAT encoder. So all Dolby Digital Plus content will play as Multichannel PCM on the Arc unless you set the Audio Format setting to Dolby Digital. If you would rather play the original Dolby Digital Plus audio, you need to use a different media streaming device that doesn’t use Dolby MAT.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I have an lgb8 tv and apple tv the TV is set to dolby atmos and I have no problem playing 5.1 with my setup 

I also use a fire tv cube which also plays atmos 5.1 and dolby digital plus 

The only time it shows pcm is music and other apps like uktv play or the catch up ones 

Sonos app shows dolby digital 5.1 when it is supposed to 

Userlevel 7

I have an lgb8 tv and apple tv the TV is set to dolby atmos and I have no problem playing 5.1 with my setup 

I also use a fire tv cube which also plays atmos 5.1 and dolby digital plus 

The only time it shows pcm is music and other apps like uktv play or the catch up ones 

Sonos app shows dolby digital 5.1 when it is supposed to 

The LG B8 isn’t equipped with eARC, so it is not able to play multichannel PCM or Dolby Atmos from the Apple TV 4K. You are getting Dolby Digital 5.1 audio because you have Change Format set to ON and the Audio Format set to Dolby Digital on the Apple TV.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@GuitarSuperstar no my apple tv is set to dolby atmos auto 

I have arc yes so I do not get lossless atmos I get lossy atmos which still shows as atmos in the sonos app 

Userlevel 7

I have arc yes so I do not get lossless atmos I get lossy atmos which still shows as atmos in the sonos app 

Interesting. Most TVs without eARC cannot play Dolby Atmos audio from the Apple TV. Your LG TV must be performing an audio conversion of the Dolby MAT audio it is receiving from the Apple TV.

What are your audio settings on your TV set to? When you play Dolby Digital Plus content from the Apple TV, what audio format does the Sonos app display?

Userlevel 7

I’m sure I’ve read online that some LG TVs convert Dolby MAT to DD+

If you go to About My System on Sonos app, what does it say under Audio In for the soundbar when playing Atmos from Apple TV? I’m assuming Dolby Atmos (DD+) whilst over an eARC connection it will just say Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@GuitarSuperstar Tv sound settings below 

Dolby digital plus 5.1 shows as well 

Dolby 5.1 shows as well as dts 5.1 

Below are the details 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Mr. T 

Userlevel 7

@skullc - That’s good your LG is able to convert the audio from the Apple TV. I had an old Samsung TV with hdmi Arc only and needed the HDFury Arcana to get Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.