Answered

Apple TV HD > HDMI ARC TV > Sonos Arc

Badge

I know different versions of this question have already been asked, but I wanted to ask the community about my specific situation. I pre-ordered the Arc 5.1 system which I plan to plug into a Samsung J6300 (2015, HDMI ARC only) TV which streams video from an Apple TV HD (non-4K). The user manual for my TV says it supports Dolby Digital Plus through ARC. Can you presume what level of audio will be playing through my home theater setup?

EDIT: for clarification, will the Arc be playing Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, or just Dolby Digital 5.1?

icon

Best answer by controlav 23 May 2020, 16:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

According to rtings.com that TV can do DD 5.1 over ARC, which is surprising given its an old Samsung and they are famous for issues in that area. Doesn’t say anything about DD+.

Atmos is challenging from an Apple TV on any TV on any transport, though until someone has one to actually try it is hard to tell if it will work or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

According to the Samsung spec sheet, it has Dolby Digital Plus as well.

That spec sheet doesn’t say anything about pass-through (over optical or ARC), it just says it can decode it. When your Arc arrives you can tell us exactly what works. Good luck!

Badge

According to rtings.com that TV can do DD 5.1 over ARC, which is surprising given its an old Samsung and they are famous for issues in that area. Doesn’t say anything about DD+.

Atmos is challenging from an Apple TV on any TV on any transport, though until someone has one to actually try it is hard to tell if it will work or not.

I’ve tested Atmos from Apple TV through LG C8 and can confirm this seems to be working for me right now:

• ATV 4K > C8 HDMI-1 > C8 HDMI-ARC > Vizio SB3512-F6 (HDMI-ARC)

Vizio SB shows green indicator when Atmos working. Tried with Apple content and Disney+.

Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Regardless of what the TV can passthrough I think you need an Apple TV 4K to get Atmos, the HD version won’t send Atmos. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Chromastic 

Not sure what you mean by presume what level of audio will be playing through my home theater setup?  Your level of listening experience can only be tested after you receive and connect the Arc to your TV.  Fortunately, Sonos offers a 45 day return policy to be sure your are completely satisfied :slight_smile: .

However, below are points you should consider as copied from the FAQ’s regarding the Arc. Cheers!

1. Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended.
  2. If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.
  3. If you connect to a TV using ARC, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. An ARC connection cannot support TrueHD or MAT.
  4. If you connect to a TV using the optical adapter, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Digital. An optical connection cannot support Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, or Dolby Digital Plus.

Cheers!

Badge

That spec sheet doesn’t say anything about pass-through (over optical or ARC), it just says it can decode it. When your Arc arrives you can tell us exactly what works. Good luck!

I also have the full product manual. What should I look for to determine if the TV can pass-through Dolby Digital Plus?

Badge

Regardless of what the TV can passthrough I think you need an Apple TV 4K to get Atmos, the HD version won’t send Atmos. 

That’s true, the spec page for the Apple TV says it’ll output Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus. I’m considering upgrading my Apple TV, but that depends on whether my TV could pass-through a DD+Atmos signal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I also have the full product manual. What should I look for to determine if the TV can pass-through Dolby Digital Plus?

It is seldom actually documented, especially in TVs this old. Samsung like to leave it up to folks like rtings.com to test this and document it for us.

My most recent Samsung TV doesn’t even come with instructions for my TV, its a general manual. Doesn’t even show the back-panel of where the ports are, much less which features exist.

While I love their TVs, I hate their documentation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ve tested Atmos from Apple TV through LG C8 and can confirm this seems to be working for me right now:

• ATV 4K > C8 HDMI-1 > C8 HDMI-ARC > Vizio SB3512-F6 (HDMI-ARC)

Vizio SB shows green indicator when Atmos working. Tried with Apple content and Disney+.

Sadly this proves nothing for Sonos Arc compatibility, as it depends on that last link and the codecs supported by the Visio may not be the same as on the Sonos Arc. It is promising news, but not conclusive for Sonos.