Answered

App and surround trouble

• 16 September 2018
  • 1 reply

I tried to open the app up last night and it couldn’t find my Sonos system. I tried the troubleshooting options. Cycle WiFi on your phone, unplug the router for a minute. It didn’t work. I can turn on the tv and listen to the playbar but the surrounds and sub won’t work. I plugged the playbar directly into the router, all of the items started working. This is the 3rd time this has happened. There’s got to be a better way than factory resetting everything and syncing it again. This is what tech support had me do last time. The router is about 30ft from the playbar, in a house with a very open floor plan. Please help!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 September 2018, 00:58

First off, don't do a factory reset again. That's not likely to be the answer, except in very extreme circumstances.

Is your router set to automatically change the channel it is broadcasting on? It could be that it is switching to a channel that it thinks is "better" and the PLAYBAR is having trouble chasing the signal as it changes.

The other suggestion that *may* help is to assign reserved IP addresses to your Sonos (shoot, do all) devices that are connected to your wifi. This will require some effort on your part, reading the instruction manual for your router. Look for something about reserving IP addresses in the DHCP table. This will help your router keep a single IP address for all of your devices.

Finally, there's always the possibility that the wifi card is going bad in your PLAYBAR, since the surrounds and SUB connect to it for signals, and not your local wifi signal. So, if it happens again, connect the PLAYBAR to your router with the ethernet cable, and then submit a system diagnostic, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

First off, don't do a factory reset again. That's not likely to be the answer, except in very extreme circumstances.

Is your router set to automatically change the channel it is broadcasting on? It could be that it is switching to a channel that it thinks is "better" and the PLAYBAR is having trouble chasing the signal as it changes.

The other suggestion that *may* help is to assign reserved IP addresses to your Sonos (shoot, do all) devices that are connected to your wifi. This will require some effort on your part, reading the instruction manual for your router. Look for something about reserving IP addresses in the DHCP table. This will help your router keep a single IP address for all of your devices.

Finally, there's always the possibility that the wifi card is going bad in your PLAYBAR, since the surrounds and SUB connect to it for signals, and not your local wifi signal. So, if it happens again, connect the PLAYBAR to your router with the ethernet cable, and then submit a system diagnostic, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.