Question

Any peripherals to downconvert DD+ to DD? Netflix streaming on projector for Beam 5.0 surround

• 8 November 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hey guys!!  I've got a BenQ W1070 projector I'm trying to connect to a Beam + 2 Sonos One speakers for 5.0 surround.  I typically stream content from HBO or Netflix via Chromecast, and as I understand it, I'll need to siphon off the sound to optical via a splitter since the projector doesn't include ARC when routing it to the Beam.

Now, with the sound siphoned off, as I understand it Netflix and HBO audio format is DD+, while the Beam cannot accept DD+ but can accept DD.  So, the question to the experts is, are there any adapters or peripherals you guys are aware of that would downconvert DD+ to DD?

Any other things I will need to get the Beam 5.0 setup working with my projector?

Thanks,

Mitch

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

As I understand it DD+ can’t be delivered over optical. It’s not clear to me what this would mean to the format that your Chromecast would deliver. Most probably it will revert to stereo. Curious if you get a result with you proposed set up.

Badge

As I understand it DD+ can’t be delivered over optical. It’s not clear to me what this would mean to the format that your Chromecast would deliver. Most probably it will revert to stereo. Curious if you get a result with you proposed set up.

Thanks for that reminder!

Yeah, I think the idea would be trying to convert from DD+ to DD within the same peripheral that does the audio extraction.  Any ideas on how to do this?