Question

Any method to feed AAC audio to PlayBar

Badge
I plan to import Playbar to Japan to connect my TV. A problem is that Japanese broadcast uses MPEG-2 Audio (AAC) for 5.1ch audio. I understand that Playbar supports only Dolby Digital (AC3) and PCM (2ch). Is there any hardware box to convert AAC to AC3. I do not want to use PCM stereo instead.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello Junichi Yamazaki,

Thanks for the post and for joining our user community.

The setup you described would not be the best for the PLAYBAR. While there maybe some transcoding devices on the market that may be able to convert the signal in real time it could also lead to other undesirable playback issues such as lip sync issues between the audio and the video. With that said the PLAYBAR would operate as a music player with no problem. You would also be able to enjoy playback from PCM and Dolby Digital sources such as streaming boxes, disc players, and game consoles. If however, your primary goal with the PLAYBAR is to enjoy TV broadcasts this would not produce the best experience.
Badge
Chris,

Thank you for the response. I hope SONOS to support AAC at PLAYBAR in the near future to distribute the product in Japan. Japanese people love your products.

Regards,

Jun
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
My guess is I'm sure most of Sonos Support wish their devices supported more audio codecs from this century too - and post many responses of long winded workarounds (or even admitting their products can't function well in such simple scenarios) through gritted teeth towing the company line..
I beg to differ because my guess is the more codecs are supported the more the Support is demanded.
Badge
I see Sonos products supporting AAC for the streaming audio. I'm curious why PLAYBAR does not accept AAC coming from the optical input. Is there any technical difficulty or any business reason?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I beg to differ because my guess is the more codecs are supported the more the Support is demanded.Maybe we'll never know categorically but in my experience, while there's a potential for an increase in support required by supporting these 100% industry standard formats that are supported by pretty much every other manufacturer out there, it would be more than cancelled out by the reduction in supoort requirements of trying to support the needlessly complex arrangements that users are forced to use to listen to their systems.
Not to mention the potential extra units sold in finally supporting such commonly used codecs.
[...] Not to mention the potential extra units sold in finally supporting such commonly used codecs.
Not so sure about that. I dare to say that DTS or even higher multi-channel codecs and wireless transfer are not meant for each other, in terms of state-of-the-art technology. To steer clear of that cliff it would be a requirement to have not only Playbase/Playbar, but also the surround speakers physically connected to the home router, and since the majority of people do not dive themselves into research before buying, it might happen that a considerable number of angry customers will argue that they were being duped.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I've not mentioned more channels but regarding DTS I don't have a clue what point you are trying to make. DTS would mean surround speakers being physucally connected to the router?? Why?
Regarding people not doing sufficient research before buying, I agree - and the outcome of included DTS decoding for example would be less users complaining and allegedly returning them - and maybe also the very people that do do their research may actually make a purchase because such standard and assumed functionality is included
Even Sonos 'fans' here often say it's a huge miss and steer people away from Sonos if decent surround sound/flexibility/functionality is a requirement. I dont see a use case where the addition of DTS decoding makes things worse.
I've not mentioned more channels but regarding DTS I don't have a clue what point you are trying to make. DTS would mean surround speakers being physucally connected to the router?? Why?
Why would you want an additional AAC codec, it isn't an EU- resp. US-standard for television broadcast. It may be a standard for Blu-ray containers but that is another story.

Physically connected because of the data transfer rate. According to Wikipedia the highest DTS bitrate amounts to 1509.75 kbit/s, whereas DD 5.1 (AC3) has a maximum bitrate of 640 kbit/s. You're not going to have a great wireless enchanting movie experience with these preconditions.

With that said, people who regard themselves as cineasts (whatever that means) are doubtlessly far better off with a traditional home theater equipage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Why would you want an additional AAC codec, it isn't a EU- resp. US-standard for television broadcast. It may be a standard for Blu-ray containers, but that is another story.Again, what is ypur point?? AAC is a codec for US, not EU so isn't relevant? Are Sonos not to consider US (even if your belief was correct)?

Physically connected because of the data transfer rate. According to Wikipedia the highest DTS bitrate amounts to 1509.75 kbit/s, wheresas DD 5.1 (AC3) has a maximum bitrate of 640 kb/s. You're not going to have a great wireless enchanting movie experience with these preconditions.
With that said, people who regard themselves as cineasts (whatever that means) are doubtlessly far better off with a traditional home theater equipage.
That's hilarious!!! That signal would be passed optically and then split to the discrete channels and transmitted through Sonos' dedicated 5Ghz Sonosnet surely to surround speakers in the same room a few metres away - which wireless is mooooooooore than capable of.
What sort of bitrates do you think Sonos deals with generally just fine across a whole house streaming scenario when it's flac files?
You should pay the troubleshooting section a flying visit once in a while. :)

Sonos determinated to not support DTS, let alone Dolby Atmos, about three years ago, it's time to move on.
I for my part had to deal with the fact that I will not get a Sonos Controller for my three Windows Phones and instead of have to settle for an OS which is not up my street at all.