Question

Any benefit to BOOST if I can connect PLAYBAR directly to router?

• 15 November 2016
  • 3 replies

I'm looking into getting a PLAYBAR, SUB, and two PLAY 1s, with the PLAYBAR plugged directly into my router - is there any benefit to using a BOOST as well?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

is there any benefit to using a BOOST as well?
Nope. With the PLAYBAR wired your system will already be in 'BOOST Setup', with or without a BOOST.
Thanks ratty, just wanted to make sure there weren't any other benefits to using the external BOOST device.
just wanted to make sure there weren't any other benefits to using the external BOOST device.
Every Sonos component has the "BOOST" functionality (i.e. a bridge between wired and wireless segments) built in*. Where it's inconvenient to wire a player Sonos supplies the actual BOOST unit itself.

*The BOOST actually has somewhat superior 2.4GHz wireless performance than most of the other Sonos units, mainly in terms of rejection of interference from, say, a router nearby. In your case this is in fact irrelevant, since the wired PLAYBAR will be using 5GHz to talk to SUB/PLAY:1s.