Answered

Amplifer + Sonos Playbar

• 23 May 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello everyone!

I bought a few days ago the Playbar and tried to connect it to my amplifier Onkyo TX-SR508 via the optical cable.

I use the amplifier because in hdmi input I connect the firestick / Sky, PS4 and hdmi output I have a video projector.
The problem is that audio through the optical cable does not work with the playbar.
Any advice?

Thank you
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 23 May 2019, 20:43

The optical connections on the back of your receiver look to be inputs, not outputs. What you want to do is get a device that will extract the audio out of the HDMI output as optical for the playbar. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=PDAKQQYP2522&keywords=hdmi+optical+audio+extractor&qid=1558636792&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+optic%2Celectronics%2C175&sr=1-6

The device I listed above could perhaps replace your receiver entirely since it can switch between 3 HDMI inputs to HDMI out (for projector) and optical (for playbar)
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The optical connections on the back of your receiver look to be inputs, not outputs. What you want to do is get a device that will extract the audio out of the HDMI output as optical for the playbar. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=PDAKQQYP2522&keywords=hdmi+optical+audio+extractor&qid=1558636792&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+optic%2Celectronics%2C175&sr=1-6

The device I listed above could perhaps replace your receiver entirely since it can switch between 3 HDMI inputs to HDMI out (for projector) and optical (for playbar)
Thank you melvimbe for you answer!

Also this will be good ?

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optical-Extractor-Converter-Splitter/dp/B017B6WFP8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Tendak&qid=1558637231&s=gateway&sr=8-3#customerReviews
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thank you melvimbe for you answer!

Also this will be good ?

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optical-Extractor-Converter-Splitter/dp/B017B6WFP8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Tendak&qid=1558637231&s=gateway&sr=8-3#customerReviews

Yes, that should be fine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have an HDMI extractor that is the same with the exception of the "brand". Everything else looks identical. It works fine for me.

I bought it because my TV induced lag when passing Dolby Digital signal. With the extractor set to "pass" mode (small 3-position switch), everything works as expected, and there is no lag whatsoever.

Be sure to use a 5V power supply. The indicator LEDs will light up even without the external power, but it will cause both Fire TV stick and Chromecast to reboot over and over. With external power to extractor, both streaming devices worked perfectly.
I have an HDMI extractor that is the same with the exception of the "brand". Everything else looks identical. It works fine for me.

I bought it because my TV induced lag when passing Dolby Digital signal. With the extractor set to "pass" mode (small 3-position switch), everything works as expected, and there is no lag whatsoever.

Be sure to use a 5V power supply. The indicator LEDs will light up even without the external power, but it will cause both Fire TV stick and Chromecast to reboot over and over. With external power to extractor, both streaming devices worked perfectly.

Thank you so much melvimbe, I bought it and it works perfectly.

Herr_Vlad thanks for your advice! at the moment everything works well but there are small things that bore me :)

1) To have the remote control for the volume only via Smartphone, also because is not present on the Firestick Tv Remote

2) Automatically Playbar is always ON because there is the active signal from firestick 24 horus

I think the solution is to buy HDMI converter with remote control to switch it on / off

Basically my setup is:

Projector Output + Firestick IN + Sonos Playbar Optical all connected to that Tendak

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Most HDMI switches/extractors I've seen don't have volume control on their remotes, so I'm not sure that would work too well for that feature. Does your projector have a universal remote with volume control?

You may also want to consider the sideclick.

I'm not quite sure about the firestick always being on issue. The playbar is also always on in standby mode. Are you saying that the playbar is stopping playback of music because the firestick is causing it to switch to TV audio as the source?
Most HDMI switches/extractors I've seen don't have volume control on their remotes, so I'm not sure that would work too well for that feature. Does your projector have a universal remote with volume control?

You may also want to consider the sideclick.

I'm not quite sure about the firestick always being on issue. The playbar is also always on in standby mode. Are you saying that the playbar is stopping playback of music because the firestick is causing it to switch to TV audio as the source?

Thank you for your answer!
I mean if the Firestick is in Standby automatically after 20 minutes , does the Playbar also go into standby right?
I almost solved the volume control by voice commands with Google Home, better than the smartphone remote 🙂