AMP, Sony DN1070 , Sony TV, Sonos one , PLay 5 and Behringer MIxer

Badge +1
Hi

I have a Sony 7.2 receiver and a Sony TV. I have home speakers connected to receiver in 2 zones (living room and patio). i ma planning to buy a Behringer 1202 mixer and connect it via the AMP (planning to buy) to the Sony receiver. Not sure how I can then get the sound via Bheringer microphone to Sonos one and play 5. Also want to pair my Sonos one and play5 with patio speakers . How can i achieve these?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I don't know if you will be attempting to talk over the music or what your music source will be. SONOS was not designed to be a public address system. This will be very frustrating for you.

There is about a 75ms latency between a SONOS Line-In and output from the players. Amateur DJ's are not usually able to handle this because they are accustomed to hearing their own voice in sync with the speakers. The delay is very confusing. Also, if you are using the SONY as a turntable preamplifier, audio will immediately go out to speakers attached to the SONY, but the SONOS speakers will be delayed 75ms. If it is possible to simultaneously hear the direct speakers and the SONOS speakers, the 75ms latency will be annoying.

For some A/V receivers there is a contorted patching and setup arrangement that could work. You would use a SONOS CONNECT, attached to the SONY as if CONNECT was a cassette deck, then "monitor" the fictional cassette deck. The BEHRINGER would be in the cassette loop ahead of CONNECT. Unfortunately, most receivers have discontinued the "monitor" function because cassette decks are rarely used at this point.

Another confounding detail is that A/V receivers have their own processing delays and may add their own latency. Even if you connected your microphone directly to the SONY, there could be some delay inside the SONY.
Badge +1
ok, i can buy pass the home speakers when i use the mixer, AMP and Sonos one/play 5. But i want to make sure that the sound & lyrics from TV go to the one and play 5. I guess the latency issue goes away in this case. A connect might be good enough but i wanted to buy the AMP not sure if it is an overkill
Line-In on the PLAY:5 will accept the mixer output. You need to figure out a way to get TV sound to the mixer.

For some reason I think that you want to do karaoke. This will be a disaster.
Badge +1
Haha yes...this could be a disaster ..TV sound to mixer...how about TV HDMI ARC-Sony DN1070 Amplifier -mixer...I am way out of my depth
Badge +1
Haha yes...this could be a disaster ..TV sound to mixer...how about TV HDMI ARC-Sony DN1070 Amplifier -mixer...I am way out of my depth and I will go from mixer to Sonos connect line in....at this Tate hoping that I can get the output sound via Sonos connect/play 5
Once you get audio to any SONOS Line-In, it can be played through any combination of SONOS players.
Badge +1
I am guessing i need to buy a connect rather than a connect AMP pr AMP to be able to do this...
Unless you have another pair of regular speakers to drive or you want to use AMP, rather than your SONY to drive the patio, CONNECT is the best idea.

SONOS was not conceived to be used as a PA system. Why do you want to use a microphone?
Badge +1
Unless you have another pair of regular speakers to drive or you want to use AMP, rather than your SONY to drive the patio, CONNECT is the best idea.

SONOS was not conceived to be used as a PA system. Why do you want to use a microphone?
karaoke party
I wasn't kidding about discouraging you from using SONOS as part of a karaoke system. Try this out in advance of your party and allow plenty of time (days) to rethink things after you find out why I am recommending not to use this approach.

Don't allow the singer to hear any of the SONOS speakers and don't allow the audience to hear both SONY driven speakers and SONOS speakers. Further, if the audience is listening through SONOS speakers and can see the singer, they will think that they are watching a video with bad lip sync.
Badge +1
I connected the audio out to mixer in and a mixer out to sonos connect analog audio in but now i am. It sure how i get the audio to sonos 1 speaker
Select the ONE room, Browse to Line-In and select the CONNECT room.
Badge +1
I couldn't figure out a way to get the sound out from sony receiver so connected the mixer directly to TV. There is a little lag from the mic to sonos as you previously warned bit i think it is ok for now. Plan to buy a playbar in the future to connect to the TV and hopefully that will address the issues. No idea on how to get the sound out (analog) from the receiver though
You will need to connect an analog audio output from the SONY to Line-In on the CONNECT. One annoying quirk with A/V receivers is that they usually will not route digital sources (such as HDMI) to the analog audio ports. You can play that Line-In on any combination of SONOS players.