Answered

Airplay and sorround simultaneously no-no?

I just replaced my two Play:1s that I was using for sorround with my playbar, with two Ones Gen 2 because I missed. I tried different things, but I was only able to do either airplay as a group or sorround. Googling a bit told me that it’s either sorround or airplay. Can this really be true?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 May 2019, 21:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Badge

Thank you @jgatie 

Badge

I just purchased a pair of Sonos One to replace my  Play:1’s  and just found out i cannot have airplay2 as they are bonded to my palybar. Wonderful!  

oh there is an amazing workaround i am told...unbond the playbar and then you can use airplay2. oh and f you want to get back to your movie on surround...unbond again and resetup your Ones.

Whoever decided to release the Sonos `ones with this limitation should get a knighthood. NOT.

I just purchased a pair of Sonos One to replace my  Play:1’s  and just found out i cannot have airplay2 as they are bonded to my palybar. Wonderful!  

oh there is an amazing workaround i am told...unbond the playbar and then you can use airplay2. oh and f you want to get back to your movie on surround...unbond again and resetup your Ones.

Whoever decided to release the Sonos `ones with this limitation should get a knighthood. NOT.

Sorry to hear you didn’t realise that 'surround' devices do not support AirPlay. You could perhaps return them and go back to your Play:1’s .. you wouldn’t hear too much of a difference anyway, I suspect.

Or...you could utilise one or both of the ‘One’s' elsewhere in your home, as either standalone, or a stereo pair and then AirPlay to them  and 'group' them with your PlayBar HT room, to get the best out of all your devices.

Badge

Thats absolutely wonderful advice, i purchased these speakers for airplay 2 and alexa. so what your saying is to goto  a pair that doesnt have Alexa.

I would have respected  you more if you would have said, have you  tried Bose, they probably do everything you need.

I  was a a big fan of SONOS, not anymore. 

Thats absolutely wonderful advice, i purchased these speakers for airplay 2 and alexa. so what your saying is to goto  a pair that doesnt have Alexa.

I would have respected  you more if you would have said, have you  tried Bose, they probably do everything you need.

I  was a a big fan of SONOS, not anymore. 

ha ha… can I just add I’m definitely not seeking your respect here. My post was just a suggestion for you to consider. You have made the wrong purchase due to a clear lack of basic research and the fact you are now mentioning Bose devices, shows that you are most certainly still not learning your lesson from this experience and likely going to make another wrong purchase. “If at first you don’t succeed, don’t try again… just redefine success.” It will likely provide you with exactly what you want and save you a lot of money in the long term.

Badge

When you promote a product to have airplay 2. You dont expect the feature to be taken away.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

No one said you were dumb, just use common sense and quit being a Sonos disciple.  Will let you grow as an individual.  Why do you think Apple sells a ton of Pro type devices for higher prices and higher margins.  Because they are the best of the best of their products.  They don’t put that tech in the lower end products first it goes to their top line products.  Any company can figure that out and follow that model.

Consumers want that and Apple’s model has shown that as have others.  Wake up and learn.  I know I will be returning my PlayBar until Sonos updates it.  Not paying more for less tech wise and many others feel the same, as in all the forums, constantly seeing the similar comments..  Just pure laziness on Sonos part!

Then buy a Playbase. Basically the same sound and features of the Playbar but with Airplay. But difficult to wall mount of course ;)

But really, in my opinion, Airplay is inferior to using the Sonos-system. Using the Sonos-app allows multiple users to change music, continue playlists etc from different devices without interrupting anything. With Airplay, you are stuck using one device, which can’t be used for anything else when streaming music and which will be drained from power in doing so. 

Then buy a Playbase. Basically the same sound and features of the Playbar but with Airplay. But difficult to wall mount of course ;)

But really, in my opinion, Airplay is inferior to using the Sonos-system. Using the Sonos-app allows multiple users to change music, continue playlists etc from different devices without interrupting anything. With Airplay, you are stuck using one device, which can’t be used for anything else when streaming music and which will be drained from power in doing so. 

Your information on Airplay is incorrect. I use it constantly as well as using my phone for a dozen other things at the same time. It does not drain a lot of power to Airplay2 to devices, as it doesn’t use bluetooth necessarily, it can stream over WiFi, which is why it can be multi-room, even without Sonos Devices.  Airplay2 is part of Homekit, which uses whichever device is acting as the “hub” to provide the signal to Airplay2 receiving devices.

On other notes:  I agree with others that the Sonos app can be better to share, but for those of us that don’t want Amazon and Google to listen to our conversations and start targeting us with advertisements, we don’t have an option other than Siri for voice control.  Since Sonos has declined to update their app to be part of the Siri Shortcut system, I can’t even make shortcuts for the most common things that I do.

Basically the implementation of Sonos with Airplay2 just wasn’t well thought out.

It would have been very easy to just make something like the “Port” which has an implementation of the Sonos App that would be transparent to the user.  Then it could “decode” the Airplay2 Stream and then broadcast it to whatever room (whether new or old speakers) via the Sonos Net instead of making my device talk to each room.

The main issue is that Sonos want to sell their new equipment and not update their old equipment (same model as Apple, Samsung, and every other tech company).  If they don’t want to include the new tech in the Playbar (or a Rev. 2 of the Playbar) then they shouldn’t sell it alongside a cheaper model that doesn’t have as good sound, but lacks features that the cheaper hardware has.

I cannot name another company that provides more features on a cheaper platform than is available on the same companies’ more expensive platforms.