Answered

Airplay and sorround simultaneously no-no?

I just replaced my two Play:1s that I was using for sorround with my playbar, with two Ones Gen 2 because I missed. I tried different things, but I was only able to do either airplay as a group or sorround. Googling a bit told me that it’s either sorround or airplay. Can this really be true?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 May 2019, 21:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

When you 'bond' a speaker to a PLAYBAR, the PLAYBAR then becomes the "control" device and as such your AirPlay 2 would be disabled. You're better off reconnecting your two PLAY:1s to be used as surround speakers, and use the Sonos One gen 2 speakers elsewhere, where they can be used for AirPlay 2, and then you can "group" the PLAYBAR's room with them as well, if desired.
Thanks for getting back so fast. The only thing I wanted was to use airplay on the Playbar (like any other device I own). Guess I’ll just have them to return them to then?
No, just set them up as a separate room. Then you can "group" the PLAYBAR room with the Sonos One, and get the sound through both "rooms".
Really? I couldn’t see any way of doing that. I could only set up a new room with all units or add the two new units to thenroom with the playbar.
Odd. Perhaps you might want to contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Usually, when you "add a speaker" using the controller, it will ask you if you want to add it to a current room, or create a new room. Probably best for you to work this out with Sonos directly. Certainly would be much better than returning the speakers.
The shop, where I bought them confirmed that I would have the change the configuration if I want to switch between airplay and sorround, so I returned the Ones and was fully refunded. Looking for a replacement for the PlayBar now other than $onos$ as it would probably be outdated as soon just like the other units.
Odd choice, but it's yours to make. So far, none of the Sonos speakers I've purchased have gone out of date. It's been quite a few years, so far I'm quite pleased.
If I can’t use it with modern technology, I’d say it’s outdated technology-wise. But thanks for your help during this thread.
I understand that the Playbar can't do AirPlay when it's grouped in surround because it's an older speaker doing the heavy lifting, but I should be able to AirPlay to the surround speakers individually! Don't just take that feature away from us.
I understand that the Playbar can't do AirPlay when it's grouped in surround because it's an older speaker doing the heavy lifting, but I should be able to AirPlay to the surround speakers individually! Don't just take that feature away from us.

Nothing's been taken away since the feature never existed. Speakers setup as surround speakers have never operated independently of what the 'master' speaker is (playbar, playbase, beam, or Amp). They can only play the audio track that is sent to them by the master...doesn't matter if it's airplay, streaming service, or otherwise.

And in technical terminology, surround speakers are not 'grouped' to the playbar, they are 'bonded'. It's semantics, but I think the terminology matters in this case since it helps clarify what functionality is available. For example, Sonos One speakers bonded to a playbar cannot play airplay content, while Sonos One speakers that are grouped to a playbar can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
For completeness on this, it should also be emphasised that if the Ones are Grouped, they cannot also simultaneously be rear Surround effects speakers. It is, unfortunately an either/or option. You must go through the process of ungrouping and bonding and vice versa each time you want the other functionality.

I plan to connect an LP player to a Sonos audio device like the new Port, allowing music to stream into a pair of Play: 1 presently bonded to a Beam as surround speakers. Will adding a Port to the mix allow two surround speakers to be both bonded to a Beam AND grouped for full stereo music? And also, is a Port device Airplay2 detectable ? Thanks very much.

No. They can be surround speakers or a stereo pair of speakers at one time. You can, however, have them play as a full set of stereo speakers by adjusting them in the extended settings for the room by turning them to “full” rather than ambient, and you can adjust the volume when playing music in the  same area, in case you want them to be much louder than you want the Beam to be.

The Port is indeed an AirPlay 2 receiver, so it would show up in your Apple device.

Thanks you. 

Badge

This is quite disappointing 😞.  We really should be able to continue using AirPlay when speakers are “bonded” to the PlayBar vs grouped.  Without AirPlay to my Sonos One, my living room speakers are essentially “dumb” tv speakers that are useless when the tv is off.  I understand that I can still use the Sonos app, but AirPlay makes interacting with the speakers so much more seamless and fluid (volume controls on my iPhone always immediately affect volume in the room and browsing music in the native apps vs the Sonos app is a much better experience). Just bought a PlayBar during the sale and am highly considering returning it if I can’t achieve true surround sound while watching movies and still easily use AirPlay for music.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is quite disappointing 😞.  We really should be able to continue using AirPlay when speakers are “bonded” to the PlayBar vs grouped.  Without AirPlay to my Sonos One, my living room speakers are essentially “dumb” tv speakers that are useless when the tv is off.  I understand that I can still use the Sonos app, but AirPlay makes interacting with the speakers so much more seamless and fluid (volume controls on my iPhone always immediately affect volume in the room and browsing music in the native apps vs the Sonos app is a much better experience). Just bought a PlayBar during the sale and am highly considering returning it if I can’t achieve true surround sound while watching movies and still easily use AirPlay for music.

I completely agree with you.  How can Beam do it, but the higher end Playbar can not.  Sonos has its priorities mixed up.  Highest dollar tech should be updated first and then trickle down.  I bought the Playbar last week, but will probably be returning and use a Beam until the Playbar gets updated. 

Also - trying a Sennheiser Ambeo, but it does not currently have Airplay either.

Because the PLAYBAR  was spec’d and designed 10 years before Airplay 2 was even considered by Apple, and consequently doesn’t have the CPU power or memory to handle the signal, whereas the Beam, being a much more recent product, can?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We all know that, but Sonos should have updated the Playbar before the Beam.  Only makes common sense.   High end should have the latest and greatest!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Common sense need not apply, Sonos builds what their research says will sell best.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Guess they are the only mfg that puts better tech in their lower end models then.  Stupid.  You never see Apple, Samsung or other top tech companies do that and they sell plenty of high end, expensive devices.  There is a reason Apple is one of the richest, if not the richest companies in the world.  Newest tech goes in their most expensive devices first!

Maybe Sonos could learn from them.  People that don’t understand that and keep backing Sonos have no clue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yep I’m dumb as a potato and Sonos stock is cratering as folks flee to other brands. UM, nope...

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

No one said you were dumb, just use common sense and quit being a Sonos disciple.  Will let you grow as an individual.  Why do you think Apple sells a ton of Pro type devices for higher prices and higher margins.  Because they are the best of the best of their products.  They don’t put that tech in the lower end products first it goes to their top line products.  Any company can figure that out and follow that model.

Consumers want that and Apple’s model has shown that as have others.  Wake up and learn.  I know I will be returning my PlayBar until Sonos updates it.  Not paying more for less tech wise and many others feel the same, as in all the forums, constantly seeing the similar comments..  Just pure laziness on Sonos part!

DBV,

I’m sure the Sonos Beam has proved to be a top seller, in the same way the Play:1’s were a top seller too… In Apple’s case the iPhone XR was/is their best selling iPhone (despite it being cheaper)… so I think these manufacturers know exactly what they are doing.

Badge

When “bonding” speakers for true Dolby 5.1 surround sound, why can’t the One speaker be the “master” so that AirPlay is still available?  Seems like a software update could enable this capability without even having to upgrade their hardware lineup.

When “bonding” speakers for true Dolby 5.1 surround sound, why can’t the One speaker be the “master” so that AirPlay is still available?  Seems like a software update could enable this capability without even having to upgrade their hardware lineup.

It cannot.  The master needs to process 5.1 audio into separate streams, and the One cannot do this, it lacks the hardware.