AirPlay 2 support (Playbar + Sonos One)

Badge
Frustrated at the lack of clarity on the Airplay 2 rollout.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Is Mr Richard correct with his statement :-
"you HAVE to have an internet connection before the controller will work"
I guess he is using sonophone app instead?
Is Mr Richard correct with his statement :-
"you HAVE to have an internet connection before the controller will work"
I guess he is using sonophone app instead?
He is completely wrong as far as any Sonos app is concerned. If his app is not working it is because it is on a different version from the speakers. That would require a temporary connection to correct, but once everything is on the same version all that is needed is a LAN, not an internet connection.

That has always been the case and I proved it to myself in last couple of days that it remains so.
Badge
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, and great discussion. As melvimbe and jgatie said, "group" is a specific Sonos action in this case, something you do within the Sonos app by pressing the group button. It's different from making a stereo pair or bonding surround speakers.

I'll make sure to pass along your feedback to the team about your confusion around the messaging. I hope you've gotten your answer at this point, but let me know if you have any more.

It is your home theater product (Playbar, Playbase or Beam) that will determine your setup’s AirPlay 2 compatibility, as that device controls the room.

Hi Ryan,

I know this topic has been done to death on here (hence not starting a new thread and instead quoting your post here) but the one thing I haven’t been able to see any clarification on is this...

“Is it possible for software upgrades to make the ones enable Airplay and/or voice control on a home theatre set up with a playbar in the future.”

Then if so is it something that is being worked on already?

Airplay does add convenience to my other speakers (eg when has ones set up independently, airport express linked to connect amp) to use apps not supported by Sonos and while I’m not in the lynch mob of thinking I’ve been ripped off, it is frustrating knowing components of my set up are essentially disabled.

Knowing if it is a future possibility or not would at least be interesting to know

Thanks!
It is not a future possibility. The architecture of the surround setup requires all decoding be at the master unit, the Playbar.
Badge
It is not a future possibility. The architecture of the surround setup requires all decoding be at the master unit, the Playbar.

that's a real shame.
I'm sure there's a new player in the works that has airplay 2 (there simply has to) and despite only getting my playbar recently you cant wait forever thinking the upgrade is around the corner without any certainty.

At least echo dot adds the voice control (unfortunately not siri but that at least is good for radio use). I can use my apple TV to give some siri control but obviously there are negatives associated with that. Pity theres no echo dot equivalent for siri that can connect to paybar