Advice on Onkyo AV receiver

• 8 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
As sonos have not (yet) released an upgrade path from the playbar for HT, I’ve decided to look for an alternative, but hopefully one which will still integrate in some way with the overall Sonos system to enable whole house music.

Ideally I’d like to get something like an Onlyo device that will work well with Sonos.

Current Requirements:

I have an old HD TV, but it still works fine and has a great picture so the receiver needa to be able to connect and oresent the image to a Pioneer KRP-600m.

Sonos Connect
Apple TV 4k
Playstation 3
Freeview Tuner

In the future I may upgrade to a 4k TV, once 85” OLEDs or similar at the high end drop a little in price.i will eventually add a 4k disk player and additional speakers for full Atmos support.

Initially I plan a simpler 5.1 - ideally with wireless surrounds and/or sub. But I’m prepared to go wired if there are not compatible reliable and quality option.

I’ll add a Sonos connect to enable the integration with the rest of the sonos zones.

Room is about 6m by 4m, so in terms of speakers, something comparable to a 3x play 5 (L/R/C) and 2x Play 1 reasrs and Sub would do. As this was the target I was hoping for from an ‘new’ playbar type device.

Not sure if Onkyo also plan to support Airplay 2, but this would be a nice to have and not a necessity. I can always use the ATV as a route to that, or use a grouped Sonos One from a nearby room.

I’ll move the current ‘Lounge’ HT system into other rooms. Thinking adding the Playbar to a spare room purely for music, spread the play 1s around as ‘boost’ helpers and pair the Sub with the pair of Play 5s in the studio/hobby room.

I don’t need ‘absolute high end audiophile’ quality. As the lounge whilst treated to reduce noise leackage to neighbours is not going to be optimised much further other than putting some acoustic ‘pictures’ on some of the bare walls. So speaker wise ‘as good as Sonos’ will suffice.

It is basically the ability to have better audio stream, a better Front apeaker array (I found the playbar - bit thin sounding hence hoping for the ability to use 5s as L/Rs) that are the key drivers. As well as simplifying inout switching and allowing hdmi as the Kuro media box does not pass DD5.1 over optical out, but the remainder of the sonos 5.1 was great! Especially the Sub!

I don’t want to rip the ceiling to do full Atmos yet, i’ll wait until the room needs to be resecorated in a coiple of years.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I’ll focus on this endevour now rather than keep bitching about why sonos did not answe my prayers🆒

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
If I read well, you`re looking for a regular non Sonos surround set up with Onkyo right ? Considered the Onyko TX-NR686 ? It has the 'Works with Sonos' with your Connect and is a bang for buck machine.
You seem to know the brand and features you want, what sirt of advice are you expecting? I'm no expert, but Onkyo seems like a solid brand. You're next choice is speakers and how to do the wiring.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Bump
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
thanks both.

I suppose it is any feedback anyone has on models from the Works with sonos list that others might own, and suitable speakers - Inknow very much a topic based on personal choice - but I’m struggling to find speaker options that are wireless at least for rears and subs. I'd pref to be able to go at least partially wireless in the short term as I have way to hide the wires from fron to back without remodelling.

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If I read well, you`re looking for a regular non Sonos surround set up with Onkyo right ? Considered the Onyko TX-NR686 ? It has the 'Works with Sonos' with your Connect and is a bang for buck machine.

I'd not looked at specific models yet, other than filter their range for a few key features. The Onyko TX-NR686 does looks like a good starting point. Thanks for the suggestion.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The Onyko TX-NR686 does looks like a good starting point. Thanks for the suggestion.

I Have the TX-NR646 and this is a great value for the money; hope it gets the WWS soon. I`ve looked at the other models from the WWS list and these are more high end but 2 to 3 times the price of the 686, no option for me. This one has dts X & Atmos as well, lossles formats and a lot of watt-horsepower so a great device for what you pay.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Had to ponder WWS a while 🆒

Shame it is not on the list. I thinn WWS is a must have for my planned system, which is why I was looking at Onkyo in particular. Hopefully Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha will join the paety soon, though I expect Denon might be a challenge :? Which is a shame as they have some great Kit.