Question

Adding sub to ARC, placement and bass

• 31 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi

I would like to add the Sub gen 3 to my ARC, I hear people say it takes the weight of bass off the ARC, but does it in technical terms, I mean with the sub added, would the ARC not output as much bass?

Also I’m thinking about hiding away the sub, and to do this I would need to lay it on its side, anyone else got the sub on its side, any difference from upright, better, worse?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I would say at least 4 inches or more above the sub. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sub makes a huge difference to the ARC in my opinion. I have the Gen 3 and One SL’s as well and it really sounds great. As far as where you put your sub that’s a tough question. It can certainly be laid on its side. Some have it under a sofa or in a corner out of the way. Under a piece of furniture you need to have some space above the Sub as it does need to be able to move air. Bass performance and sub placement  requires some work. Depending on placement you can have dead spots in your room where you won’t get the full benefit of the sub. I like to place my sub in my listening position and put on some music I know well that is bass heavy. I know how it should sound. I then crawl around the room on the floor at the level the sub will be. You’ll be surprised how the bass differs as you move around the room. Once you find the spot where the bass sounds great you can mark the spot and move your sub to that location. You may want to experiment with the direction from that point. Return to your listening position and enjoy. 

Thanks

Have to measure the height of sub on it’s side, anyone know how much space above the sub I should have roughly?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Sub makes a huge difference to the ARC in my opinion. I have the Gen 3 and One SL’s as well and it really sounds great. As far as where you put your sub that’s a tough question. It can certainly be laid on its side. Some have it under a sofa or in a corner out of the way. Under a piece of furniture you need to have some space above the Sub as it does need to be able to move air. Bass performance and sub placement  requires some work. Depending on placement you can have dead spots in your room where you won’t get the full benefit of the sub. I like to place my sub in my listening position and put on some music I know well that is bass heavy. I know how it should sound. I then crawl around the room on the floor at the level the sub will be. You’ll be surprised how the bass differs as you move around the room. Once you find the spot where the bass sounds great you can mark the spot and move your sub to that location. You may want to experiment with the direction from that point. Return to your listening position and enjoy.