Question

Adding Sonos AMP with Playbar

• 29 April 2020
  • 4 replies

My TV currently has a Playbar connected via Optical Cable and the sound has been wonderful. However, we have two rear speakers that we have not been utilizing and now it’s time for a slight upgrade. I’m looking to add a Sonos AMP (new version) to the mix. 

Question for the community:

Will Sonos AMP be connected wirelessly to Playbar? Or do I need to physically connect it to HDMI ARC from the TV as well?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

How are you planning  on using the Amp?  Most commonly, you would use it to power two rear speakers, in which case, the answer is no.  The playbar will talk to the Amp wirelessly.    If you wanted to use the speakers to play front left and right audio, then yes, the amp needs to be connected to the TV...but you wouldn’t need to the playbar at all.  If you wanted to use the amp for speakers in a different room, then no.  You can group the amp with playbar to play in sync any time...but for TV audio, the amp will be slightly delayed...which likely isn’t an issue in a different room.

@melvimbe , I'm planning to use the AMP for rear two speakers as surround and the Playbar as main and the front speakers. How does that impact the setup?

Then the amp doesn’t need to be physically connected to the TV or playbar at all.  Playbar will send signals to the amp wirelessly.

The CONNECT:AMP, on the other hand, does require a wired connection, as it doesn’t have the 5Ghz antenna used in bonding surrounds. So make sure you’re working with the new Amp, and not the old CONNECT:AMP.