Adding HDMI to playbar/playbase

Are there any plans to release a new Player/Playbase with HDMI ports?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Generally, WiFi interference isn’t cleaned up by rerunning a setup, as none of the issues that might be affecting and causing the issue aren’t being changed.

I would recommend reading the link I included, and looking for potential changes to make based on that information. It is important to note that a significant amount of WiFi interference often comes from outside your own network.
Hummm I have a Eero base in a small apt and it seems to be fine, but I'll rerun setup and see if I can tune it better.
Are there any plans to release a new Player/Playbase with HDMI portTechnically, there isn’t any built in support for Alexa...all of the “work” done by Alexa is done in the cloud, the only thing Sonos provides is microphones that send a signal to Amazon’s servers. Any ‘slowness’ you perceive most likely has to do with wifi interference, getting in the way of your commands being transmitted to the cloud for processing, before being executed.
Technically, there isn’t any built in support for Alexa...all of the “work” done by Alexa is done in the cloud, the only thing Sonos provides is microphones that send a signal to Amazon’s servers. Any ‘slowness’ you perceive most likely has to do with wifi interference, getting in the way of your commands being transmitted to the cloud for processing, before being executed.

Are there any plans to release a new Player/Playbase with HDMI ports?I do not know how Sonos is expected to expand in home entertaniment during next years without adding HDMI and DD+ (atmos) support to thier flagship Playbar/base.

The Beam seems like a stop-gap product (turn off all the bass boost and realize this is a small, expensive speaker and the built in Alexa support is slow). I'd assumed they were working on adding HDMI to so called flagship products but we seem to have the Move instead...
Badge +2
Are there any plans to release a new Player/Playbase with HDMI ports?

I do not know how Sonos is expected to expand in home entertaniment during next years without adding HDMI and DD+ (atmos) support to thier flagship Playbar/base.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I’m not sure what eARC support means either. If it’s hardware related, then I imagine it would be an advantageous thing to have if the codecs support can be added later via firmware updates. I think eARC on newer televisions might not be common until 2020. Sony is ahead of the game putting it into their new 2019 model 950G. Samsung’s new 2019 models are out, but there is no mention of eARC.
The amp doesn't currently support eARC, but who knows if that will change in the future. From what I understand, the advantages eARC over ARC is primarily regarding to the codecs that can be transferred, such Atmos and DTS:X, which Sonos doesn't currently support. So support of eARC wouldn't really be useful unless Sonos also starts supporting some of these formats. And that would also likely mean that they would need to support having additional speakers bonded to the Sonos amp.

I noticed that the Bose 700 doesn't support Atmos/DTS:X either, so I'm not exactly sure what eARC support gives you there. Perhaps they are just dropping buzzwords or are tentatively promising future enhancements.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Does the new Amp support eARC? I noticed the new Bose 700 soundbar does.
Sonos has made no announcements about updated versions of the playbar or playbase. However, since the Beam and Sonos Amp were both implemented with HDMI-ARC, I think it's fairly safe to assume that a future playbar/playbase, if and when that happens, would also be equipped with HDMI-ARC.

If your thinking of normal HDMI in and out ports as you see on modern receivers, that's highly doubtful.