Question

Adding a connect to drive the front right & left to to a 5.1 setup comprising a playbase and surrounds

• 28 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Can you use a Sonos Connect to act as front Right & Left together with a playbase acting as a wide center and 2 play 1 as surrounds? 

I am hoping to add the connect to al already setup 5.1 setup using the playbase and 2 Play-1’s as surrounds?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Many have requested to be able to create a wider soundstage, whether for Playbar, Playbase or Beam. Currently it is still not possible.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @rjules2000.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I do agree with @nik9669a. Currently, Sonos supports up to 5.1 home theater set up. What you are planning to achieve based on your set up description is a 7.1 home theater system which currently is not yet a supported set up of Sonos. However, a little workaround is currently available but not a true 7.1 surround setup. This is grouping any additional speaker to your 5.1 Sonos home theater surround setup via the Sonos app. This set up would allow other Sonos devices that will be grouped to the 5.1 home theater set up to mimic the audio coming out of the main home theater speaker (Playbase, Playbar, Beam, Sonos Amp, or Sonos Arc) thus acting as a dummy speaker with its own volume control (through the Sonos app) and not be affected by the 5.1 home theater set up volume control through either the remote control or via the Sonos app. I would be more than happy to send this to our engineering team to take a look at it as a feature request. Just to set your expectation, subscribe to this topic and watch out for feature updates, releases and announcement through our announcement thread to be up to date with any feature request that has been made available and released as that will be the only way you would know if the requested feature has already been considered and released.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sorry Paul, but I really don’t think that’s a good suggestion. 

First, the additional speakers would operate in stereo and so the centre dialogue channel might get lost. 

Second, and perhaps more important, I believe the setup you suggest would have an audio delay on the grouped speakers. The effect of this would be a terrible echo to the sound in the room.