Question

Adding 7.1, 9.1, etc. to Playbase/Playbar

• 6 September 2017
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge +20
For the most part, Playbar offers 90's home cinema.

And at a cost that is higher than several amp / speaker packages available.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I don't know of any cinemas showing a 55" screen in a 15 * 10 room with a nice comfy sofa to sit on.

Cinemas don't use dolby because of the large space and significantly more sound channels so the comparison is rather pointless. Sonos 5.1 sounds great.
Not as good as DTS! Why? What can you hear? One will sound different to the other but better? I don't think so.

DTS has approximately double the bitrate of Dolby Digital, hence sounds significantly better.

Home cinema in this context refers to home cinema audio - i.e. cinema audio in your own home. In the '90s this consisted of Dolby Pro-logic systems then around the turn of the millenium this became Dolby Digital and DTS. IN the '10s things moved on to uncompressed audio formats like Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD MA and now we're moving on the "3d" audio formats like Atmos and DTS:X.

For the most part, Playbar offers 90's home cinema.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I don't know of any cinemas showing a 55" screen in a 15 * 10 room with a nice comfy sofa to sit on.

Cinemas don't use dolby because of the large space and significantly more sound channels so the comparison is rather pointless. Sonos 5.1 sounds great.
Not as good as DTS! Why? What can you hear? One will sound different to the other but better? I don't think so.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sonos IS a 'proper' home cinema system. All systems have their pros and cons, and no particular limitation disqualifies a system from being 'proper'.

It really isn't. Ignoring the additional spekers, I don't know of any cinemas that still use Dolby Digital - this has been the case for many years. Sonos ever reworded the PLAYBAR description on the website after launch as it made such claims, which weren't accurate.

It initially said "full-theater sound" which simply wasn't true as theatres use DTS etc. They also claimed "plays everything that is connected to your TV" which soon became clear wasn't the case.

They've since put some "home cinema" claims back on the page, but it's carefully linked to an FAQ full of disclaimers regarding DTS etc.

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/home-theater-faqs.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
If the time comes when there's only HDMI TV's I'm sure there will be a device you can plug into the TV's HDMI-ARC socket and extract/ convert to 5.1. Personally 7.1 support is not an issue for me (although it would be nice..).
Sonos IS a 'proper' home cinema system. All systems have their pros and cons, and no particular limitation disqualifies a system from being 'proper'.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Am I correct in assuming that adding 7.1, 9.1, etc. to Playbase/Playbar is not possible with a software update? You need new hardware from Dolby?

Thanks in advance!

You are correct, you'll need a proper home cinema system for that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Wikipedia has a good explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
I think the issue is first that higher codecs won't fit through the optic cable, they'd have to be carried by some other connection (like HDMI).

It's also likely, as has been discussed in another thread, that there would be additional licensing issues for Sonos, since they make it fairly easy to group your TV output with other speakers