7.1 Support

• 1 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Are there plans for SONOS to add support for a 7.1 system (i.e., Playbase or Playbar + Sub + four Play 1's)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Doubtful - we have heard there is a new connect coming (but don't think it will be what I call a "Superconnect" feeding to a 7.1 system).
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Are there plans for SONOS to add support for a 7.1 system (i.e., Playbase or Playbar + Sub + four Play 1's)?

Two things need to happen:
Sonos needs to pony up for licensing fees to support a 7 channel audio codec
Hardware (and software) changes to support the same
I currently have a Sonos 5.1 Set up at home, so far so good. However I do wish there was the possibility to upgrade my system to a Sonos 7.1 surround by adding two more play 1s. Like I said so far I've enjoyed it so much, and I've made my peace with Sonos not supporting DTS, -I got it* -but at least they should compensate for that by adding the support to the 7.1 set up, that upgrade would be well received by Sonos most loyal customer like myself. Hope soon we hear of good news about that from SONOS.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I currently have a Sonos 5.1 Set up at home, so far so good. However I do wish there was the possibility to upgrade my system to a Sonos 7.1 surround by adding two more play 1s. Like I said so far I've enjoyed it so much, and I've made my peace with Sonos not supporting DTS, -I got it* -but at least they should compensate for that by adding the support to the 7.1 set up, that upgrade would be well received by Sonos most loyal customer like myself. Hope soon we hear of good news about that from SONOS.

How do you expect they would support a 7.1 audio codec if they won't support DTS?

I don't think there are any "free" options in the 7.1 sphere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m most sure current hardware won’t support 7.1. Not that I don’t think they should do it but i don’t think capable