Question

65X8505 ARC compatible

Hi I have a Sony 65X8505B, it does have a Arc output, not eARC - just wondered of worth upgrading to the Arc speaker over the sounder or not.

Many thanks

Adam

5 replies

Worth is subjective, and there haven’t been any media reviews available yet, so that’s going to be hard to answer objectively.    You can get atmos format audio through an ARC connection though, using dolby digital + codec.  You need to check your TVs manual and research your TV sources to confirm that they also produce dolby digital + /atmos content.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Adamls 

IMO the Arc will be worth the upgrade. However, below are points you should consider as copied from the FAQ’s regarding the Arc. Cheers!

1. Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended.
  2. If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.
  3. If you connect to a TV using ARC, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. An ARC connection cannot support TrueHD or MAT.
  4. If you connect to a TV using the optical adapter, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Digital. An optical connection cannot support Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, or Dolby Digital Plus.

hi both appreciate this, https://productz.com/en/sony-bravia-kd-65x8505b/p/W73E the product page does say it decodes DD plus and D 5.1 so assume that would be good and better than the Playbar?

hi both appreciate this, https://productz.com/en/sony-bravia-kd-65x8505b/p/W73E the product page does say it decodes DD plus and D 5.1 so assume that would be good and better than the Playbar?

Unfortunately that doesn’t really confirm anything.  You don’t really need the TV to decode anything as the TV won’t be playing the audio.  You need it to pass DD+/atmos  through from an HDMI source, and/or from it’s own smart apps, through the ARC connection to the Arc.  It’s not easy to get good documentation on this.  I would say it’s likely with your TV, but no 100% guarantee.  Even if you only get DD 5.1, it should be better than the playbar also at DD 5.1.  However, it’s not out yet or reviewed by the media, so perhaps best to wait a bit longer.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Adamls 

I’m not convinced that gaining the ability to decode DD plus is worth the upgrade; unless you watch a lot of movies with DD plus sound tracks. Regular cable and OTA transmissions do not offer DD plus (at least not at the present).

Even when watching movies streamed or via a Blu-ray player your ears would have to be finely tuned to hear the difference on a consistent basis. However, if you are wanting to future proof your system for when you replace your TV with one that can decode the codecs that the Arc can...then go for it. 

I hope this helps! Cheers!