Question

5 channel stereo

• 25 November 2019
  • 8 replies

does Sonos have a setting for 5 channel stereo that I’m missing?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

does Sonos have a setting for 5 channel stereo that I’m missing?  

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  2. Select the room the home theater speakers and surround speakers are located in. It appears as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.
  3. Select Surround Audio.
  4. Music Playback: Choose Full.  This setting applies only to music playback, not TV audio.

Note that the above settings only apply to Sonos home theatre products.  Your profile page says you have a Connect and Connect:amp, neither of which are home theatre products.

Melvibe;   I’ve been in the audio/video industry for 35 years and do some consulting in my area.   5 channel from the TV source is what 1 client wants.   He wants equal sound from the rear channel.   I don’t Ike it, he does.   His configuration is Playbar, Sub, and Amp powering the rear channels.  

If by equal sound, your client means the same as the center “voice” channel, Sonos has no settings to allow that, unfortunately. When using the TV input on the PLAYBAR, and the rear speakers set up as surrounds, s/he will only get surround data sent to them, which generally does not carry any voice. 

A possible, albeit unsatisfactory way in my mind is to not set up the rear speakers as surrounds, but instead as a separate ‘room’ in the Sonos, then group the two rooms together. There would be a slight delay of around 75ms between the two rooms, but they would get the full ‘front’ signal out of those rear speakers. 

Melvibe;   I’ve been in the audio/video industry for 35 years and do some consulting in my area.   5 channel from the TV source is what 1 client wants.   He wants equal sound from the rear channel.   I don’t Ike it, he does.   His configuration is Playbar, Sub, and Amp powering the rear channels.  

Not possible right now.  It has been requested for a while, but so far, nothing has come of it.

Also, some people just should not own home theater systems.  I once saw a guy who put all 5 speakers on top of his TV.  Thought it sounded phenomenal.  To quote Pete Townshend - “Each to his own sewage”.  :grin:

Not possible right now.  It has been requested for a while, but so far, nothing has come of it.

Also, some people just should not own home theater systems.  I once saw a guy who put all 5 speakers on top of his TV.  Thought it sounded phenomenal.  To quote Pete Townshend - “Each to his own sewage”.  :grin:

Well, there is one way.  You could connect 2 pairs of speakers to the Amp, 2 for front, 2 for back, connect the Amp directly to the TV.  You can use the Sub, but the playbar wouldn’t be used.  Of course, the downside to this is that you would all speakers wired, which might defeat the point of using Sonos.

Well, there is one way.  You could connect 2 pairs of speakers to the Amp, 2 for front, 2 for back, connect the Amp directly to the TV.  You can use the Sub, but the playbar wouldn’t be used.  Of course, the downside to this is that you would all speakers wired, which might defeat the point of using Sonos.

True, never though of that.

Hopefully Sonos will add the 5 channel feature soon.   Should be easy to do in their firmware.