5:1 Surround Sound..Help.. Totally lost !!!

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 14 replies

Hi All

I have a Samsung QE55 Q9FN Tv, a Sonos Beam & have just purchased x2 Sonos One Speakers.

I am trying to get 5:1 Surround Sound but to no avail ?! 

Everything is connected through a Samsung One Connect box, my Beam is connected using the HDMI Arc port, then the Tv, PS4 & Sony 4K player using the other HDMI ports.

I have just purchased x2 Sonos One Speakers all paired up connected to my System / Account.

If I play music through the Sonos App thats fine, sound comes through all Speakers, the Beam & both Sonos Ones.

However when watching TV, using PS4 or 4K player sound only comes through the Beam ? I have made sure TV Audio settings, PS4 & 4K player are set to Dolby Digital but still sound only through the Beam. If I go on the Sonos App to My System to check what sound is coming in it says Dolby 2.0 when watching Tv, Dolby 5:1 when on PS4 & just Stereo when on 4K player but sound only comes through the Beam.

So my Q. Is how on earth do I get 5:1 Surround Sound for  my Tv ,PS4 & to watch films on 4K player using Sonos System ?? I was going to purchase the Sub to complete the System but no point if sound only comes through the Beam. 

Do I need to connect using an Optical switch or cable but there is no Optical port on the Beam ?

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP !

Thank you

Colin

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I have the exact same issue, any solution yet?

cheers

Badge

No..no solution so far !? ..least its nice to know its not just me then. 

What are you going to do with your Speakers ?

Have you tried bypassing the connect box and plugging directly into the devices individually?.

This may help you see if you have any pass through issues.

I’m having the same.

PS4 and Apple TV 4 won’t output Dolby via Samsung TV. Yet the apps on the TV seem to. 

It’s got to be old HDMI leads, awaiting some new ones.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t have to be the HDMI leads, although it could be. There are some TVs out there that have issues with HDMI inputs. I’d double check that the software for the TV is up to date. I have the Apple TV both 4K and previous gen, and can confirm that they’re able to, when set in the Audio settings, send a Dolby Digital signal.