Answered

5.1 Setup with TV/Playbase on the Side

• 21 September 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving in a new place, doing some remodelling. We love our playbase and are looking to have a 5.1 set up. But we had some concerns you guys might alleviate!

The thing is the TV room isn't super straightforward. The sofa is placed against a wall, while TV and Playbase are in a corner (about 3m away). I have attached the layout for reference.

Perhaps some of you have living rooms where the TV is on the side of the sofa or in a corner. Our 2 questions were:

1) If the TV is wall mounted (swivel having it face the sofa when used) but the playbase is still on a cabinet (in the layout, constantly facing the window), and therefore not in the same direction than the TV, do you think there's a chance it doesn't sound as good - because the base isn't turned towards the viewer?

2) We would put the 1's surround on the wall right behind the sofa. But since the TV is in a corner, won't that unbalance the whole setup?

What do you think?

Thanks!!
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 September 2018, 18:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Alex MG

From my perspective you would have a difficult time anchoring the dialog to your TV screen and the surround for full effect would be eschewed.

I have a suggestion but it requires re-arranging your room. The up-side is that the TV would also be viewable from the dining area. The TV is in Blue, The PlayBase is in Red on top of a table and the surrounds are in Red mounted on stands to either side of the sofa. You might later consider a Sonos Sub shown in Green to complete your HT setup.

Cheers!
Hi AjTrek1

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! And for your layout suggestion - it is very helpful.

We would indeed love to go for that arrangement. The issue is that would in practice limit the ability for people to go about the room (30-40 cm between sofa and wall, apologies there was no scale).

I am curious - surely some folks have their tv on the side (with or without the full 5.1 gear)?

Thanks

Alex
Userlevel 7
Hi Alex MG

As you can see I'm visually oriented person:) It would be helpful if you could submit your original diagram again indicating exactly where the playbase and TV will be located. At the moment I get the impression that the Playbase will be too far away and/or firing in the wrong direction:?

Cheers!
Hi AjTrek1

You are right. I have now clarified the setup I had in mind on the drawing below. The dark oval shape is the playbase (which never moves), the red bar is the TV, and the green shapes are the Play 1s with the sub next to the sofa. Do you think that's a bad idea, even with Trueplay?

Thanks

Alex
Userlevel 7
Hi Alex MG

In the arrangement you are suggesting the dialog (purple arrow) coming from the Playbase (beige) would be at a right angle to the viewing position of the sofa. Surround audio (red truncated circle) would be skewed or off-center seemingly arriving late. Image a helicopter flying straight toward you from the TV (purple). The experience of the fly over would make it sound as if it went past you and then came back at an angle.

In a perfect HT setup the surround area would be encompassing (green circle) which includes the dialog (purple arrow).
TruePlay while it does compensate for speaker positioning and other variables the assumption is that speaker placement meets normal parameters in a HT setting. The Sub is the exception as placement is not as critical.

I have once again :8 suggested another seating arrangement which appears not to encroach upon living area. The only other caveat is the TV…can you still view it from the suggested position or does the L-Shaped corner block viewing?
In the end you’ll have to experiment to determine if yours or my suggested arrangement works for you and your wife. Please let us know the final outcome . Cheers!
Thanks for answering AjTrek1! We like the layout you came up with, I guess we now have to try it out and see if it works!

Alex
Userlevel 7
Thanks for answering AjTrek1! We like the layout you came up with, I guess we now have to try it out and see if it works!

Alex

Sounds good! Let us know the outcome.
Cheers!