Answered

5.1 Passthrough ARC and Optical

• 13 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hey y’all,

I have a 2013 E-Series Vizio setup with a Playbase. The Vizio passes 5.1 through Optical fine, and my Blu-Ray player converts DTS to DD, so I’m getting great 5.1 through my setup. I’ve been considering upgrading to Sonos Arc, and I was curious, if the Vizio passes 5.1 through Optical should I presume it will also pass it through the HDMI-ARC channel?

And separately, if anyone has a recommendation for TVs that have eARC and also passthrough 5.1, I’ll probably eventually upgrade this TV too.

Thanks everyone!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 May 2020, 18:44

Yes, you should assume that. I’ve got two Vizios myself, but unfortunately two PLAYBARs which only connect via optical, so I can’t do real world testing until my Arc arrives.

But really, you should reach out to Vizio for final confirmation, or look through their user manual. That’s the ultimate way of confirming. That being said, if they’re pushing DD out of optical, it should be through HDMI ARC as well. 

View original

2 replies

Yes, you should assume that. I’ve got two Vizios myself, but unfortunately two PLAYBARs which only connect via optical, so I can’t do real world testing until my Arc arrives.

But really, you should reach out to Vizio for final confirmation, or look through their user manual. That’s the ultimate way of confirming. That being said, if they’re pushing DD out of optical, it should be through HDMI ARC as well. 

Badge

Thanks so much.

I was able to reach out to Vizio, and I can confirm (in case anyone else looks this up later wondering it) and their passthrough of 5.1 works on both Optical and ARC.