Answered

5.1 on dvd

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Watching a dvd that supports 5.1 I have beam and 2 plays. The trailers and the start up menu are playing in 5.1 but the film itself isn't. Any ideas. About my sonos switches to stereo when film starts.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 August 2019, 22:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Ssounded great in Spanish but just couldn't understand a word 🤣
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Ah so it is in fact a Blu-ray. This would explain it, a DVD could not get away with that.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
No, it drops into stere6as the film starts even though the trailer's are in 5.1

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The Dumbo DVD does NOT have DD 5.1 support in English? Weird. Or is this a Blu-ray?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Unfortunately the dvd player doesn't convert. I could switch to Spanish and that was 5.1 that sounded great but I couldn't understand a thing. It was the new dumbo so obviously the English was in the newest and best sound mode
You're most welcome. I hope that either the DVD has a Dolby Digital soundtrack (not all do, but most) and/or your DVD player can convert (only a few have that ability).
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Ok thank you
Right.

As I said in my previous post, Sonos doesn't support DD Plus, much less any 7.1 signal. You need to either chose the Dolby Digital soundtrack on the disc, if it has one, or set up your DVD player, if it can, to convert the signal to Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
DVD says English is in 7.1 dd plus
There's different kinds of 5.1. Sonos supports only one, called Dolby Digital.

It's possible that the DVD is trying to send either Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS. You may need to look at the audio settings for either the DVD itself, or the DVD player to make sure that it's sending a Dolby Digital signal.