4K/UHD bluray players that decode DTS to Dolby?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
With 4K bluray players starting to emerge now, seems we really need to start keeping straight which ones will allow those of us with Sonos Playbars enjoy some semblance of Dolby sound when certain 4K blurays only offer DTS. (Note, I haven't yet purchased a 4K bluray, so am unaware of the typical sound offerings.)

But we went through this once already, for regular bluray players, with many threads devoted to outlining the multiple Samsung models of bluray that decode DTS to Dolby 5.1 (I ended up buying a Sony that also does so). Now let's do the same for 4K players.

So far we have the Samsung UBD K8500 (which seems to clearly decode DTS to dolby.) Now what about the Philips? The Panasonic? The Xbox One S?

Anyone have any idea?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

217 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I know some Sonos owners are still considering the Xbox One S as their 4k player. I just read on engadget that the Xbox is officially going to support Atmos and DTS:X. So assuming it will also transcode these audio codecs to DD5.1, it could make this a good solution for the Playbar.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/06/xbox-one-dolby-atmos-dts-x/
Badge
Throwing my 2 cents in here. I can tell everyone the Xbox One S plays very nicely with the Playbar. My only complaint is that I use it for games and hate having to switch picture modes around. Awhile back I decided to go with a standalone 4k blu ray player and unfortunately didn't read this thread until after I found my new $600 Panasonic 4k player won't work with the playbar.

After reading all of this, I placed an order for the Oppo 203 knowing the "beta" firmware should work. Then I happened upon this: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-42-0329.aspx

Looks like the fix is no longer in beta. My player should arrive this week and I'll report back if I have any issues. For those who don't wan't to drop this much money, you can be very happy with an xbox one S configured as described in previous posts.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Throwing my 2 cents in here. I can tell everyone the Xbox One S plays very nicely with the Playbar. My only complaint is that I use it for games and hate having to switch picture modes around. Awhile back I decided to go with a standalone 4k blu ray player and unfortunately didn't read this thread until after I found my new $600 Panasonic 4k player won't work with the playbar.

After reading all of this, I placed an order for the Oppo 203 knowing the "beta" firmware should work. Then I happened upon this: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-42-0329.aspx

Looks like the fix is no longer in beta. My player should arrive this week and I'll report back if I have any issues. For those who don't wan't to drop this much money, you can be very happy with an xbox one S configured as described in previous posts.

I don't know if you saw my previous post, but I also tried out the Oppo 203 (with the beta firmware) and discovered that the DD5.1 transcoded audio only went out the player's optical port and not the HDMI port. I don't know how your setup is. But for me, that was a deal-breaker and I had to return the Oppo.
Badge
I'm using optical not HDMI so hopefully I'm good
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Musicallife100, Just wondering if your switch arrived and how are you getting on with it and the Oppo?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I literally just purchased the Samsung blu-ray 10 minutes before reading the Oppo update. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic that there's finally a legit option for 4K HDR with the Sonos system! Thank you OPPO!

Samsung player is returned, Oppo is being shipped to me, Sony 930E on its way! Can't wait!
Badge +1
Hey opsman...just got the switcher and set it up. It works perfectly. Problem solved!

Any switcher should work. If you go with an auto switcher, I'm sure it'll be seamless. As aclosedmind stated, the update is now official...plus they added a media center app. It seems to work great and allows total control from your phone. I am very, very happy with the player. It's just getting better and better. Again, I'm sure any switcher will work but this is the one I bought...

DotStone SPDIF/TosLink Digital Optical Audio Switcher 3x1 (switch 3 inputs into a single output) with Remote Control Support for DD 5.1 Surround Sound PS4 Xbox Audio Signal Output
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Musicallife100, yet another great response, many thanks. While all my focus has been on the Oppo's picture quality and DD 5.1 output I am curious as to it's audio output, especially movie soundtracks, and whether there's any improvement over other players, say the Samsung. What's your thoughts?
Badge
Looks like the Samsung M9500 is expected to be available April 16 for about $400.

M9500 Manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201704/20170407124953503/UBD-M9500-XU-FULL_170406.pdf
Received the LG UP970 today, and was quickly disappointed. It will go back tomorrow and I will try the M9500 next week.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
"Samsung UBD - M9500"

Just read the new Sevenoaks Sound & Vision Select online mag (Issue 6) and in it they have a small write up on the new Samsung UBD-M9500 (nothing we don't know already) and clicking the link to the store it's showing the player as 'Due Late May' with a UK price of £499.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Lat May in the UK? I read April for the US. I'm keeping an eye out for it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Looks like the Samsung M9500 is expected to be available April 16 for about $400.

M9500 Manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201704/20170407124953503/UBD-M9500-XU-FULL_170406.pdf

Thanks for the link to the manual. I compared the audio downmixing mode section to the K8500 and the wording is identical. So, that's a very good sign.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

M9500 Manual:

Thanks for the link to the manual. I compared the audio downmixing mode section to the K8500 and the wording is identical. So, that's a very good sign.
Very good sign indeed. I'm very curious what this model brings to the table over the K8500 for the extra $. (beyond the blutooth). Especially curious about PQ comparison (I'm guessing negligible). One thing we can be sure of, it'll have a better remote and front display - relevant for those who had objections to those.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

M9500 Manual:

Very good sign indeed. I'm very curious what this model brings to the table over the K8500 for the extra $. (beyond the blutooth). Especially curious about PQ comparison (I'm guessing negligible). One thing we can be sure of, it'll have a better remote and front display - relevant for those who had objections to those.

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing with the M9500. It looks to have very similar specs. I searched the manual for anything referring to Dolby Vision, but didn't see it. I'm still hoping this model will support it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
The Samsung website now shows the UBD-M9500. With an ETA of early May. $399 US. Compared to the K8500 at $249 US it seems very similar. The M9500 does add features like Bluetooth and the ability to stream content over your home WiFi and some baffling 360 degree view gimmick (who the heck is going to use that) - it doesn't mention Dolby Vision.
Though, you have to wonder that if Samsung was ever going to add Dolby Vision in the future as a firmware upgrade (like other manufacturers have stated regarding their players) it seems far more likely that the newer M9500 would get it verses the much older K8500.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
In case anyone here is looking at the Samsung UBD-M9500, I emailed their support and asked if it has Dolby Vision (in addition to HDR10). Unfortunately, it doesn't. Here is their reply:
I understand that you would like to know whether Blu-ray player model UBD-M9500 supports Dolby vision. I do understand your concern. I have checked my available resources and I see that this Blu-ray player does not support Dolby vision. Also, it is not possible to add this feature on the player by updating the firmware.

So, my search continues for a UHD player that has both HDR10 & DV - and of course, the thing that makes this so difficult - has to also transcode it's audio to DD5.1. I beginning to think it might be easier to discover a live unicorn.
Just to update you all, here is the reply from the AVS Forum:-
"The x800 doesn't not have the "Dolby D Compatible Output" option which is what you are looking for. This converts DTS to DD5.1 on the fly. (The Sony BDP-S6700 does for instance). The x800 is only able to converts DTS/Dolby Digital to multi channel PCM. So unless you're Sonos Soundbar can accept a multi channel PCM input, then you'll need to find alternative solutions".

Not what i wanted to hear - have to start looking at alternatives now as this is getting ridiculous and Sonos don't seem to listen to it's user base.
My Soundbar & Sub will be up for sale pretty soon i think !!!
Hi Everyone, First time poster. I’m very interested in purchasing the new 4K Sony UBP-X800 Blue Ray Player if it will decode the DTS to DD 5.1. I understand that it doesn’t have a simple check box for decoding DTS to Dolby Digital in the audio set-up, which the Sony BDP-S6700 had (last known Sony player to have it).

However, I was excited because I found this proposed solution in a Sony UK help forum in response to a Sonos compatibility question regarding the Sony UHB-H1 Blue Ray Player. Both the Sony H1 & X800 have very similar specs except some ports & 4K and even manuals are fairly close. Hence I thought this possible solution may also work for the new Sony X800. Please find the links below for reference. Thanks very much in advance for the collective wisdom of this group. Proposed solution from Sony UK help thread:

[Audio Settings]:
[Digital Audio Output] > PCM, [BD Audio MIX Setting] > Off, [DTS Neo:6] > Off and [Downmix] > [Surround]

1. Would this Sony proposed solution work for the Sony UBP-X800 blue ray player and decode the DTS to Dolby Digital?

2. If this would work, would it be considered a simulated Dolby Digital 5.1 sound? If so, would that practically matter?

3. Finally, if this would work on the X800, would the Sonos app display a DD 5.1 sound when playing.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/dolby-5-1-from-uhp-h1/m-p/2224382/highlight/true#M12314

https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4687309111.pdf (audio settings on pages 22 & 23)

https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4588105121.pdf (audio settings on pages 31 & 32)

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/How-to-Get-5-1-Dolby-Surround-Sound-from-a-SONOS-PlayBar.shtml (very informative article)
Badge +1
I'm sorry I made another thread about this before seeing this one. Looks like I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have an Xbox One S, but I want to replace that as my kids end up taking over my TV. I really was hoping the new LG player would decode DTS to 5.1, but reports say it doesn't. I have a LG OLED B6, and that would have been perfect for me. I really hope either Sonos does something or the companies making blu ray players do. All my other stuff seems to work fine with my Sonos, so I'm surprised this is even an issue.
Badge +1
Seems like not much action around this topic. I really want to get a 4K UHD BR player. What's the best choice st the moment?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Seems like not much action around this topic. I really want to get a 4K UHD BR player. What's the best choice st the moment?

bozer:
I have the same TV as you. I was also hoping the new LG player would transcode.
I settled on the Samsung K8500. If you're like me and have eveything going to your TV's HDMI ports and then the optical from the TV going to the Playbar, the Samsung is your best (only?) choice right now. We have to go with a player that lacks support for Dolby Vision.

I posted a while back that the Oppo 203 I bought didn't work out as their DD5,1 transcoded audio only works on the players optical port. I (and probably you) need it to go out the HDMI port.

The Samsung M8500 is out now. Though I didn't think the extra bells and whistles Samsung tacked on made it worthwhile to upgrade from the K8500. I emailed Samsung asking if the M8500 might get Dolby Vision in the future and they said no. Then just the other day Samsung announced another HDR format called HDR+. Great - just what we needed another format to muddy the waters even more.

Bottom line - get a player quick. You're missing out on a fantastic TV experience! I had watched a lot of 4K HDR movies on Netflix and Amazon. But seeing it from a 4K HDR player was jaw-dropping. Amazing - OLED at it's best, When you do get a player, go out and buy the Planet Earth II on 4K. Wow!
Badge +1
Thanks. I think that recent announcement means no matter what player you buy, we're all in for a mess for a while. I have an Xbox one S, and movies look amazing, but I don't want to buy another Xbox. Kids end up playing games all day on MY tv. :D

You talked me into it. I'm going with the Samsung. Ultimate dream in life is that Sonos makes some sort of breakout box that corrects all of this nonsense.
Balls! Ed Balls!

For years i've had the 2 x Play 3's and a sub. After a house extension i thought i'd damage the credit card a little more and got myself a new TV and the Playbar. Now fallen into the same hole as you guys, thousands of £££'s spent and no 5.1 for the majority of DVD's or bluray's...Nice!

Got myself a lovely 2017 Panasonic 50EX700B, netflix kicks out stunning images and DD 5.1. When it comes to my Wii U and Panasonic blu-ray player i'm stuffed though. God only knows what happens when i bring the Nintendo Switch into the equation!

A damn shame. The dream was to have one tv, use that remote and play Wii U games in 5.1

Now its a game of more expense, pro's and cons and no guaranteed solution i guess.
http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html seems to be the best option but its £200 and i have no idea if it brings with it sync issues.

Does an all singing Av AMP work too?
...and that £200 is the same price as an Xbox One S!