4K/UHD bluray players that decode DTS to Dolby?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

217 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
In case anyone here is looking at the Samsung UBD-M9500, I emailed their support and asked if it has Dolby Vision (in addition to HDR10). Unfortunately, it doesn't. Here is their reply:
I understand that you would like to know whether Blu-ray player model UBD-M9500 supports Dolby vision. I do understand your concern. I have checked my available resources and I see that this Blu-ray player does not support Dolby vision. Also, it is not possible to add this feature on the player by updating the firmware.

So, my search continues for a UHD player that has both HDR10 & DV - and of course, the thing that makes this so difficult - has to also transcode it's audio to DD5.1. I beginning to think it might be easier to discover a live unicorn.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
The Samsung website now shows the UBD-M9500. With an ETA of early May. $399 US. Compared to the K8500 at $249 US it seems very similar. The M9500 does add features like Bluetooth and the ability to stream content over your home WiFi and some baffling 360 degree view gimmick (who the heck is going to use that) - it doesn't mention Dolby Vision.
Though, you have to wonder that if Samsung was ever going to add Dolby Vision in the future as a firmware upgrade (like other manufacturers have stated regarding their players) it seems far more likely that the newer M9500 would get it verses the much older K8500.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Looks like the Samsung M9500 is expected to be available April 16 for about $400.

M9500 Manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201704/20170407124953503/UBD-M9500-XU-FULL_170406.pdf

Thanks for the link to the manual. I compared the audio downmixing mode section to the K8500 and the wording is identical. So, that's a very good sign.
Very good sign indeed. I'm very curious what this model brings to the table over the K8500 for the extra $. (beyond the blutooth). Especially curious about PQ comparison (I'm guessing negligible). One thing we can be sure of, it'll have a better remote and front display - relevant for those who had objections to those.

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing with the M9500. It looks to have very similar specs. I searched the manual for anything referring to Dolby Vision, but didn't see it. I'm still hoping this model will support it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Looks like the Samsung M9500 is expected to be available April 16 for about $400.

M9500 Manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201704/20170407124953503/UBD-M9500-XU-FULL_170406.pdf

Thanks for the link to the manual. I compared the audio downmixing mode section to the K8500 and the wording is identical. So, that's a very good sign.
Very good sign indeed. I'm very curious what this model brings to the table over the K8500 for the extra $. (beyond the blutooth). Especially curious about PQ comparison (I'm guessing negligible). One thing we can be sure of, it'll have a better remote and front display - relevant for those who had objections to those.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

M9500 Manual:

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Lat May in the UK? I read April for the US. I'm keeping an eye out for it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
"Samsung UBD - M9500"

Just read the new Sevenoaks Sound & Vision Select online mag (Issue 6) and in it they have a small write up on the new Samsung UBD-M9500 (nothing we don't know already) and clicking the link to the store it's showing the player as 'Due Late May' with a UK price of £499.
Received the LG UP970 today, and was quickly disappointed. It will go back tomorrow and I will try the M9500 next week.
Badge

M9500 Manual:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Musicallife100, yet another great response, many thanks. While all my focus has been on the Oppo's picture quality and DD 5.1 output I am curious as to it's audio output, especially movie soundtracks, and whether there's any improvement over other players, say the Samsung. What's your thoughts?
Badge +1
Hey opsman...just got the switcher and set it up. It works perfectly. Problem solved!

Any switcher should work. If you go with an auto switcher, I'm sure it'll be seamless. As aclosedmind stated, the update is now official...plus they added a media center app. It seems to work great and allows total control from your phone. I am very, very happy with the player. It's just getting better and better. Again, I'm sure any switcher will work but this is the one I bought...

DotStone SPDIF/TosLink Digital Optical Audio Switcher 3x1 (switch 3 inputs into a single output) with Remote Control Support for DD 5.1 Surround Sound PS4 Xbox Audio Signal Output
Userlevel 2
Badge
I literally just purchased the Samsung blu-ray 10 minutes before reading the Oppo update. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic that there's finally a legit option for 4K HDR with the Sonos system! Thank you OPPO!

Samsung player is returned, Oppo is being shipped to me, Sony 930E on its way! Can't wait!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Musicallife100, Just wondering if your switch arrived and how are you getting on with it and the Oppo?
Badge
I'm using optical not HDMI so hopefully I'm good
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Throwing my 2 cents in here. I can tell everyone the Xbox One S plays very nicely with the Playbar. My only complaint is that I use it for games and hate having to switch picture modes around. Awhile back I decided to go with a standalone 4k blu ray player and unfortunately didn't read this thread until after I found my new $600 Panasonic 4k player won't work with the playbar.

After reading all of this, I placed an order for the Oppo 203 knowing the "beta" firmware should work. Then I happened upon this: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-42-0329.aspx

Looks like the fix is no longer in beta. My player should arrive this week and I'll report back if I have any issues. For those who don't wan't to drop this much money, you can be very happy with an xbox one S configured as described in previous posts.

I don't know if you saw my previous post, but I also tried out the Oppo 203 (with the beta firmware) and discovered that the DD5.1 transcoded audio only went out the player's optical port and not the HDMI port. I don't know how your setup is. But for me, that was a deal-breaker and I had to return the Oppo.
Badge
Throwing my 2 cents in here. I can tell everyone the Xbox One S plays very nicely with the Playbar. My only complaint is that I use it for games and hate having to switch picture modes around. Awhile back I decided to go with a standalone 4k blu ray player and unfortunately didn't read this thread until after I found my new $600 Panasonic 4k player won't work with the playbar.

After reading all of this, I placed an order for the Oppo 203 knowing the "beta" firmware should work. Then I happened upon this: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-42-0329.aspx

Looks like the fix is no longer in beta. My player should arrive this week and I'll report back if I have any issues. For those who don't wan't to drop this much money, you can be very happy with an xbox one S configured as described in previous posts.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I know some Sonos owners are still considering the Xbox One S as their 4k player. I just read on engadget that the Xbox is officially going to support Atmos and DTS:X. So assuming it will also transcode these audio codecs to DD5.1, it could make this a good solution for the Playbar.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/06/xbox-one-dolby-atmos-dts-x/
Badge +1
Hi Opsman. I don't anticipate any issues but I'll report back once I get the switch.

Re: the picture quality...I know this is subjective but I've bought (and returned) all of the 4k players currently in production, except the lg and Xbox one s, and Oppo is the one to beat. With a 4k blu ray it seems to 'pop' more. However, all of the other 4k players looked, at least, really good.

Two things did surprise me more...first, the upscaling on standard bluray looks fantastic. Even more surprising was 3d bluray. This player offers a marked improvement. I still have the Samsung 8500 I'd re-bought a few weeks ago (until I discovered Oppo issued the dd upgrade). I connected it and did a comparison of David Attenborough's GALAPAGOS 3d and, it looked great on the Samsung but...it was, almost literally, breathtaking on the Oppo. I don't know why. Maybe due to the improved upscaling, maybe processing that handles 3d more effectively...not sure but it certainly made me feel better about the price difference between the two players - as tom12 had pointed out.

Plus I love the continual support and upgrades Oppo provides. They really do work to hold that top spot. It's pretty future-proof.

Also, although I can't access the additional audio functionality, hd movie codecs - especially want atmos, hi res audio, sacd, dvd-a, etc, I am aware of other Sonos-like systems on the horizon that may offer access soon. I am keeping up with Bluesound, Heos, Bose soundtouch, etc to see if they present options that entice me to consider jumping ship.

Except for this optical/dts limitation, I am still very happily married to Sonos. Especially with this new Oppo workaround. But c'mon Sonos...you gotta spice things up once in a while - let's stay together.

Btw, Ryan S - thanks for chiming in. Good to know you're following all of this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Musicallife100, sorry forgot to ask - what's your opinion of the Oppo's picture quality?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Musicallife100, many thanks for the great reply. I'm looking at the exact same set up as you when mine arrives so would love to know how you get on with your switch. I've gone for the Lindy 2 way Automatic switch as I can't rely on the wife being able to remember to switch the optical over if she ever watches a movie or more likely after I've watched a movie or two and forgotten to switch it back!! Funnily enough I've had several very friendly and informative chats with the Oppo UK technical manager (James) in the last week. He voiced the same opinion regards Sonos and DTS and didn't confirm it, but didn't dismiss it either, for the future option of the DD5.1 re-encode output via HDMI. Let's make sure we keep in touch with this and i'll keep working on James.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, great discussion. I'm going to update our home theater megathread with some of the suggestions here.

Looks like the OPPO 203 is working out well now with that recent update. Any others you think we should add to there too?

The Xbox One S I've heard works great as well for the HD Blu-Ray playback with on the fly transcoding for DTS to Dolby.
Badge +1
On another note, I contacted Oppo to express my appreciation for implementing the Dolby conversion functionality (I'd encourage others to do the same). The response made me chuckle.

Maybe it was just written quickly and off the cuff but it could also read like a bit of a jab at Sonos...here you have it...

John,

We are glad to hear that you have liked the upgrade to our player and now you can use it with a Sonos product that can't do DTS.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
Badge +1
Hi Opsman...I did get the Oppo, for a second time.

I installed the beta update and, yes, it decodes to DD beautifully. You change the audio output option to optical and select the new option to send the signal as Dolby.

However, tom12 is correct in that it works only via optical. To avoid swapping out my optical cable from tv to Oppo everytime I watch a bluray, I chose to order a $20 optical switcher. This is slated to arrive tomorrow.

I'll connect my cable box and Oppo via hdmi to my tv. Then I can connect my tv optical out to the input 1 of the switcher. I'll connect the Oppo optical out to input 2 of the switcher and the optical out of the switcher to my playbar. When I watch the Oppo I just need to switch to input 2. It has a remote. You can also buy automatic switchers but I'm fine with switching it myself. Plus, with Oppo's track record, I'm guessing they'll implement this feature via hdmi in a future update. The functionality via firmware updates just keeps getting better.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Musicallife100, did you get the new Oppo? Any opinions would be welcomed.
The research continues haha