Question

2nd Generation Play:5 as Rear Speakers

• 9 January 2016
  • 21 replies

Badge
Thinking about purchasing Play:5 speakers as rears to go with my Plabar and Sub. Do you think this would be over kill?

Also, has anyone installed their sub on the wall with the mount? Did it make a difference in the sound quality?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

IMO, anything greater than PLAY:1 is overkill for surrounds unless perhaps you plan to run stereo music in Full rather than Ambient mode through the rear speakers. Even then a SUB could fill in the bass so really PLAY:1s ought to suffice.
Badge
Thanks for the response Ratty. I wasn't to maximize my surround potential but don't want overkill.

Did you mount your sub on he wall?
Badge
Check to make sure the Play 5's can be used as surround with the Playbar and Sub. My understanding is that only Play 1's and 3's are able to be used as surround.
Check to make sure the Play 5's can be used as surround with the Playbar and Sub. My understanding is that only Play 1's and 3's are able to be used as surround.

Well, you're wrong and have been for about three months, the NEW Play:5 can be used as surround speakers with the Playbar the same as the 1 and 3 can be.
Badge
Okay. Thanks for the update. I didn't know that had changed.
No. Nothing's wall mounted.
Badge
As UHC said the2nd Gen play:5 can be used with the Playbar.
As UHC said the2nd Gen play:5 can be used with the Playbar.

"U"...?
Badge
My bad
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thanks for the response Ratty. I wasn't to maximize my surround potential but don't want overkill.

The SUB is designed to be located on the floor. You can place it in a corner, against the wall, behind, under, or next to any piece of furniture on any kind of floor surface. More info in this support article.
Badge
Mohammed direct laying it down yelled the same results as mounting it on the wall?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Mohammed direct laying it down yelled the same results as mounting it on the wall?

Don't understand this. What are you asking? Please clarify
Badge
Sorry, laying the speaker down on its backside yields the same result as mounting it on the wall correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. Laying it down like that is ok (have a look at the manual) but mounting on a wall is not
Badge
Interesting, what's the difference?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The SUB can lay flat (horizontally) on the floor or it can be standing (vertically) against the wall. If you place the SUB vertically flush against a wall, do not block the front acoustic slot.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Can anyone compare FROM EXPERIENCE the play5s as surrounds vs play:1. Looking at going that route but need feedback. Have 2 play:1s as surrounds already and 4 play:5s (2nd gen)
Badge
I now have the play:5's as rears and can tell you the sound is fantastic.

I did try the tears with the play:1's thinking the 5's wouldn't provide the same clarity as the 1's but was surprised that the 5's sound better.

I thought it would be to much but it really is not.
Good question, I don't think there will be a difference. After all the floor is the equivalent of a wall, so if it can be placed flat on the floor, it can be wall mounted too.

The only concern would be safe mounting, given how heavy it is.
Badge
Kumar - True, I orders the mounting bracket and will make sure at least one side is mounted into a stud.
I read something that the Gen 2 Play 5's have to be used in the vertical position. I currently have them in the horizontal position and they seem to work... Does it matter which position you have the Play 5's in as rears?