2021 & 2022 Samsung Frame & Gen 2 Sonos system - Dolby Atmos

• 4 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

My conversation with Samsung:

Me: Does my old 2021 65” Frame TV Model number: QE65LS03AAUXXU Serial number: 0H6V3HAR500017T - support Dolby Atmos?

Samsung: Upon further checking, the model you have can only support Dolby Digital where it argues that its codecs are more efficient than DTS codecs, and thus can sound every bit as good or better, even at a lower bit-rate. Ultimately, you can expect a fine home cinema experience from both, and often your choice of soundtrack will come down to whichever is supported by your source material.

Me: Does the new 2022 65” Frame support Dolby Atmos?

Samsung: Thank you for staying connected, Graeme. Upon further checking directly from our website, our 2022 Frame TV's support Dolby Atmos. You can check this link: [link removed]

Me: If you search the above Dolby Atmos is emblazoned everywhere!!! But look at last years Samsung advert

Dolby Atmos is nowhere to be seen unfortunately.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Not sure what your point here is, but if you poke around on these forums looking for references to the Samsung Frame, you’ll likely find a lot of folks who seem to have found that Samsung has done a poor job, apparently, on their implementation of HDMI-CEC, with its embedded ARC functionality, and it’s ability to deal with several formats. Somewhat frustrating from a fairly expensive TV set, to be sure, and one that has kept me in particular from purchasing one. 

On the TV settings, make sure HDMI eARC mode is set to Auto and the Digital Output Audio Format is set to Dolby Digital Plus. Play an Atmos Movie, perhaps ‘6 Underground’ from the Netflix App (Premium subscription required) and see if that gives you Atmos audio.

Beam (gen2) needs to be connected to the TV’s eARC port.