• 37 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 7 replies

Here’s my setup:

Apple TV —> HDMI to 2020 Samsung qled

Sonos Arc —> HDMI eArc to TV

Here’s the problem:

I get sound when clicking around on the AppleTV menus, but no sound when I play anything. Nothing through Netflix, Hulu, Disney, or iTunes. 

I DO get sound when I don’t use AppleTV and just use the apps through the TV. 

I know this is an issue that others have, but Apple doesn’t have a solution besides turning off all surround sound and I haven’t seen Sonos provide any support to resolve it. 

All new brand name tech and they don’t work together??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Just wanted to chime in and let you guys know this isn’t just a Sonos issue. I have a QN85A, ATV 4K (Second Gen), and a Bose 900 with Sub, and have the exact same issue. I was searching for help with it when I came across this article.. definitely an issue with ATV or TV.. really frustrating. 

+1 on this. So annoying. Following this thread to stay in the loop if we hear a fix. 

I built an entire house system after moving out of Samsung TVs and Sonos.

The Samsung TVs have such limited app selection I added Apple TVs.

Samsung does not even have the NBA App and the native sucks at staying online. Whatever, Apple TV should fix that issue. Added them.

Now I cannot stream with consistently available sound ever. Netflix, Hulu, etc doesn't matter. I get to click in and out of the app over and over and over until I get sound.

The integration between these products is so bad I want to throw up and now I am stuck. Does anyone have any solutions?

Do I have to sell my Apple TVs to use my Sonos?

@LeeASD,

Perhaps try switching off Mutichannel LPCM audio on the Apple TV and use Dolby compressed audio instead and see if that will pass through the Samsung TV ports any better for you.

Same issue for me.

QN 75 2021

sonos arc w sub

AppleTV

CEC enabled

hdmi e-arc plugged in and showing enabled

Every morning my arc magically switches to my Spotify and doesn’t return to tv sound even if I choose TV on the app.

it happens to Apple TV and happens to the apps on the tv.

TV shows audio output as receiver, no longer eArc
Unplugging hdmi fixes the issue. But I don’t want to do this forever.

Same issue for me.

QN 75 2021

sonos arc w sub

AppleTV

CEC enabled

hdmi e-arc plugged in and showing enabled

Every morning my arc magically switches to my Spotify and doesn’t return to tv sound even if I choose TV on the app.

it happens to Apple TV and happens to the apps on the tv.

TV shows audio output as receiver, no longer eArc
Unplugging hdmi fixes the issue. But I don’t want to do this forever.

Does the issue stop if you switch off CEC on the Apple TV?

Same issue for me. Brand new setup 3x amps, sub, latest gen ATV, 2022 Frame.

audio cuts out on Hulu whenever the commercials start. Have to flip out on ATV, flip back repeatedly and then starts working. Wife getting really mad pls help!

Same issue for me. Brand new setup 3x amps, sub, latest gen ATV, 2022 Frame.

audio cuts out on Hulu whenever the commercials start. Have to flip out on ATV, flip back repeatedly and then starts working. Wife getting really mad pls help!

Have you tried the suggestion of switching off HDMI-CEC on the Apple TV?

Same for me, just upgraded my TV to a QN90A and paired it with a Beam. Getting really unreliable sound in all apps (ATV+, Netflix, Prime and Disney+) I initially thought it was just Atmos, but it also happens with DD5.1 tracks. One thing i’ve noticed is that if it not playing Atmos then DD5.1 will work and if DD5.1 is playing up then Atmos works. A type switching issue????

One consistent is that the sound on the autoplay Netflix promos never plays (which is a win of sorts 😀 )

I have more weird issue! my setup: Samsung QN90A 85Inch TV, Connected to Sonos Arc and Gen 3 Sub over eArc, I have Dreamlink T2 connected to TV, and Apple TV4K 2nd Gen connected to TV.

With Dreamlink, I see TV identifying Sonos as HDMI eArc Receiver and everything works just fine.

With Apple TV as an input, I see TV does not identify Sonos as HDMI eArc Receiver it shows “TV Speakers” in sound menu. TV’s Sound Setting and Expert settings are like, eArc is enable (set to Auto), Digital Audio output Format is “Auto” as “Passthrough” is disable, Dolby Atmos Compatibility option is disable.

Somehow once for Apple TV input, Samsung TV Identified HDMI eArc Receiver as Sound output that time I could select the Digital audio output format as “Passthrough” and Sonos was playing Atmos sound for that movie. As soon as I switched to other content there was no sound, I had to disable Samsung TV’s eArc setting to off and then Auto, since then Samsung TV did not identify eArc receiver as a sound output device, Apple TV plays stereo PCM to the SONOS.

Any help!!     

@ritu_o0o just checked and i’m also getting the TV Speakers / Receiver thing with my AppleTV. Really am starting to think it’s an Apple TV bug. 

@ritu_o0o just checked and i’m also getting the TV Speakers / Receiver thing with my AppleTV. Really am starting to think it’s an Apple TV bug. 

The thing I notice with Apple TV is that the CEC implementation is very ‘sticky’ .. it’s controlling features often stay in place even after it’s switched off, until the device is fully rebooted, so I still wonder if it’s CEC control is attempting to steal focus away from connected Home Theatre products. I’ve personally left the tvOS CEC feature switched off now and things have been fine for me with it set that way.