• 37 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 7 replies

Here’s my setup:

Apple TV —> HDMI to 2020 Samsung qled

Sonos Arc —> HDMI eArc to TV

Here’s the problem:

I get sound when clicking around on the AppleTV menus, but no sound when I play anything. Nothing through Netflix, Hulu, Disney, or iTunes. 

I DO get sound when I don’t use AppleTV and just use the apps through the TV. 

I know this is an issue that others have, but Apple doesn’t have a solution besides turning off all surround sound and I haven’t seen Sonos provide any support to resolve it. 

All new brand name tech and they don’t work together??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7

Please post your current audio settings on your TV and Apple TV. Also tell us your specific TV model.

Badge

Please post your current audio settings on your TV and Apple TV. Also tell us your specific TV model.

TV: QN75A85AAFXZA (updated- version 1506)

TV audio: Receiver (HDMI-arc)

Apple Audio Settings attached: no other option to change ATV audio output from tv speakers unless you change audio format 

Userlevel 7

Is the Arc connected to the HDMI 3 port on your TV?

Also be sure you have HDMI eARC set to 'Auto' and Digital Output Audio to 'Passthrough’ on your TV.

Badge

I believe it’s 3, it’s in the only e-arc

hdmi-eArc is set to auto

digital audio to pass through

Userlevel 7

Make sure the TV has the latest firmware installed and unplug the TV, Apple TV, and Arc from power for a couple of minutes.

What HDMI cables are you using?

Badge

Unfortunately that doesn’t do the trick

Sonos hdmi cord for the Arc and a new 4K@60Hz, 18Gbps hdmi for the Apple TV (at least I think that’s the one on there)

Userlevel 7

Is Anynet+ (CEC) enabled on your TV?

Does anything change if you disable the Dolby Atmos Compatibility setting on the TV?

Do you get any audio if you set Change Format to On and select Dolby Digital on the Apple TV?

You might also try connecting the Apple TV to a different HDMI port.

I think the problem is the cables. I think you need HDMI 2.1 (8k) cables to get Dolby atmos. Both between apple - tv and tv - arc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not think cables need to be changed for transporting sound. Images need high speed cables, sound (even in uncompressed form) do not. As I understand it the standard cable Sonos packs with the Arc is 1.4.

I changed my setting on audio to always be Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of stereo. Whenever the TV sends stereo, it messes up. 

I have this exact same setup and exact same issue! It’s infuriating. I can eventually get sound working by start/stopping random movies on Netflix/Amazon/etc but it’s totally random. I have to spend 5 mins trying to get sound working before a movie. 

it never happens with YouTube, Sunday ticket, Disney+ or games. It always happens with Netflix and Amazon

I have the same issue. 
samsung frame tv 2021

apple tv 4K 

Sonos beam gen 2  

hulu, Netflix seem to have the most problems 

I have the same problem with a Samsung QN90, Apple TV (latest) and the ARC

It works fine with the ARC and the TV

But the Apple TV will play sound as you click through menu and apps but as I try to stream completely random if the sound plays or not - primarily HBO Max and Netflix 

On HBO Max it will sometimes play the sound before the skip me feature but as soon as it passes that section of the show, sound stops working. 

Same issue here!

Samsung QN90 TV

Apple TV 4K

Bose Soundbar (I know this is Sonos forum)

Usually I can get it working by switching back and forth between audio languages. 

I finally gave up and switched to optical output, but the issue persists. 

This is extremely frustrating!

Same-ish issue here. Samsung the frame 2021, Arc and ATV. Got the tv on passthrough.

With Atmos enabled on the ATV I do get great audio when playing atmos content in the original audio language. If I switch audio language or play something non Atmos there’s no sound.

If I force 5.1 from ATV I do get audio on most/all content but don’t get Atmos unless I switch back.

I wouldn’t be suprised if the issue is TV related since the frame has been the worst piece of hardware I’ve bought in a long time but can’t get hold of samsung support (supprise) so will try my luck from this end first.

Same issue here. Apple TV4K + Samsung QN90A neo QLED + Sonos Arc 5.1. Ugh 

This seems to have been solved for me by putting my Samsung TV’s audio into pass through mode rather than processing. 

For what it’s worth, another +1 to this issue. I have a 2021 Frame TV, ATV4k, and Arc. 

I’ve also noticed that when non-Atmos audio does work on Disney+ I usually get Stereo PCM sound, but streaming the same show through the TV itself comes in Dolby Digital surround. I prefer not to stream through the TV since Samsung sells so much viewing data.

This certainly is making it difficult to convince my family that this fancy audio setup was worth the money. 

+1 2021 Frame TV, Sonos Arc and ATV4K

extremely frustrating when you think you are investing in top quality names/products and they don’t perform properly. 

+1 More

Assets - Samsung QN90A TV + Apple TV 4K HDR + Sonos Surround Setup with Sonos ARC / 2 x Sonos Sub (Gen3) / 2 x Sonos Fives

Problem - Random occurances of inability to obtain sound from the initiation of a movie or show from native ATV content and ATV installed applications (HBO, Netflix, Disney+). 

Audible ATV menu guidance click sounds ARE always functional, but upon selecting and initiating content there will be NO audio.  At other times the initiated content audio is simply delayed with starting by a few seconds. 

Workaround - Simply cancelling and restarting the content multiple times will ultimately result with sound properly functioning.  I’ve never NOT been able to get audio against selected content, but at times will have to restart the content half a dozen times. 

Haven’t proven with reliability yet, but a “restart from beginning” operation versus a “resume” operation potentially may be more reliable in triggering the proper initiation of audio. 

Comments - This is clearly a content based HDMI audio mode selection and initiation challenge somewhere within the sequence of ATV → Samusung → Sonos.  I lack audio expertise to describe with more robustness.  

THANKS! 

Ugh, I have this issue with my QN85A tv, Apple TV, and Arc. For me the issue happens when Hulu’s live channels switch from 2 to 5 channel sound. I have seen occasional issues with Disney plus but the problem with Hulu is while watching tv all fir commercials are 2 channel and tv is 5 channel, so every time it switches I run the risk of the audio stopping. It doesn’t do it every time.  I was thinking of getting the new version of the Apple TV 4K but doubt that will fix it. 

@codyl1992 - I suffer with these audio woes leveraging the latest Apple 4K HDR hardware.

Also, I wasn’t anticipating audio problem resolution - but sharing as an added factoid for the community - I’ve hard-wired my ATV 4K HDR via Ethernet connectivity versus WiFi and still have the same audio no-go challenges!

@codyl1992 - I suffer with these audio woes leveraging the latest Apple 4K HDR hardware.

Also, I wasn’t anticipating audio problem resolution - but sharing as an added factoid for the community - I’ve hard-wired my ATV 4K HDR via Ethernet connectivity versus WiFi and still have the same audio no-go challenges!

My solution for now seems to be just switch the ATV to Dolby digital 5.1 for everyday use and then if I want to watch an atmos movie, switch it back. 

Same issue all of you have noted. I have to start and restart the content repeatedly and it eventually begins working. 

I have a Sonos ARC + Samsung Q8BA QLED + Apple 4k

I guess we’ll never get a fix for this which makes my $1000 soundbar absolutely useless as I dont use it at all for music. Has sonos even acknowledged this problem?

Same issue all of you have noted. I have to start and restart the content repeatedly and it eventually begins working. 

I have a Sonos ARC + Samsung Q8BA QLED + Apple 4k

I guess we’ll never get a fix for this which makes my $1000 soundbar absolutely useless as I dont use it at all for music. Has sonos even acknowledged this problem?

I would perhaps speak direct with both Samsung and Sonos Customer Support Staff to try to get the matter resolved.