Answered

2 seperate 5.1 systems

• 5 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi, I have 2 seperate 5.1 systems in my home currently.  I have arc, sub, amp and 2 non sonos in-wall speakers in living room and I have playbar, sub, and 2 sonos one’s in my bedroom.  What I need help with from the community is:  Can I have the exact setup listed above but change out the 2 sonos ones in my bedroom for 2 more inwall non sonos speakers and continue running 2 seperate 5.1 setups.  I know the amp can run up to 4 speakers but I am not sure if you can continue running 2 seperate 5.1 setups off of one single amp.  Hope this all made since.  Thanks for the knowledge if you know the answer.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 April 2021, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

You would have to get a second Amp to power the two surround speakers in the bedroom.

Bummer, I was told the Sonos Amp could power 4 non sonos passive speakers. Thank you for youranswer.

Userlevel 7

The Amp can power up to four non-Sonos Architectural speakers and up to six Sonos Architectural speakers, BUT each Amp only acts as one zone. You are trying to power two sets of speakers in two different zones.

I got you.  Understood.  Let me ask you this.  If I decide to get a receiver, 2 towers and a center channel then power the back 2 in-walls with the sonos amp (5.1 setup), will I still be in the sonos system similar to the sonos port?  Basically, is the sonos amp a sonos port with power?

Userlevel 7

I got you.  Understood.  Let me ask you this.  If I decide to get a receiver, 2 towers and a center channel then power the back 2 in-walls with the sonos amp (5.1 setup), will I still be in the sonos system similar to the sonos port?  Basically, is the sonos amp a sonos port with power?

In this scenario, you would connect all of your speakers (including the rear surrounds) to the receiver. Then you would simply connect a Sonos Port to the receiver to add your 5.1 setup to your Sonos ecosystem.

You rock, thanks for all this info!

The Amp can power up to four non-Sonos Architectural speakers and up to six Sonos Architectural speakers, BUT each Amp only acts as one zone. You are trying to power two sets of speakers in two different zones.

Just to add a little more detail to this...regardless of how many speakers you connect to the Amp, you are still limit to 2 audio channels in one zone.  So even with 4 or 6 speakers you still only have left and right stereo, or left and right rear surrourds, for the same amp.  Additional speakers is just duplicating the channels.