Question

2 play5 instead instead of the playbase

• 11 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello everybody,

I currently own for my living room, a playbase (connected to the tv), a sub and 2 play1 in the back.

Since i recently upgraded my tv to a samsung serif 55, it has been quite a trouble to feet the play base underneath, so i am thinking to substitute the playbase with two play5 and a sonos amp to connect the tv to, What do you guys think would this setup work properly with the sub and the two play1? 

5 replies

It’s not a one to one swap. The PLAY:5s won’t be able to interpret the signal from the TV. You could set them up as surrounds to the Amp, but you haven’t indicated what speakers you’d be connecting to the Amp, only Sonos speakers. 
There is no Sonos setup for connection to the TV in which you can use any Sonos speakers as right and left (much less a center) in the front. The Sonos Amp drives other company’s speakers for that purpose, otherwise you’d be using a Sonos sound bar which already has all three channels in the single enclosure.

Hey Bruce, first of all thank you for your reply.

Yes basically the idea I have in mind is to connect the amp to the TV and the have the two Play5s in the front on each side of the TV as well as the sub and then in the back on each side of the couch the two Play1s. I am picturing having the Play5s replacing the Playbase i currently have, though I am not sure if this combo by the TV would work successfully.

Unfortunately I am thinking of this swap for logistic reasons. 

Hey Bruce, first of all thank you for your reply.

Yes basically the idea I have in mind is to connect the amp to the TV and the have the two Play5s in the front on each side of the TV as well as the sub and then in the back on each side of the couch the two Play1s. I am picturing having the Play5s replacing the Playbase i currently have, though I am not sure if this combo by the TV would work successfully.

Unfortunately I am thinking of this swap for logistic reasons. 

That combination is not possible.  There is no way to use individual Sonos speakers as the front left/right of a Home Theater setup.  The fronts have to be a Playbar, Playbase, Beam, or two passive speakers driven by an Amp (w/ phantom center). 

Hey jgatie, when you say two passive speakers, you are excluding sonos speakers at all?

I dont mind them not being left/right in the front since I have the two Play1s in back of the room. 

Hey jgatie, when you say two passive speakers, you are excluding sonos speakers at all?

I dont mind them not being left/right in the front since I have the two Play1s in back of the room. 

Passive speakers are non-powered speakers that you wire to the Amp.  The Amp, when connected to the TV in a Home Theater setup, is meant to power two passive speakers as the front left/right (with a phantom center).  It cannot send TV audio to Sonos speakers used as the front left/right.  The same thing with the Beam, Playbase, and/or Playbar (which are left, center, right all in one bar).

Simply put, the configuration you are hoping for will not work.  Not on a configuration level, not on an audible level, and not on a practical level.  The Play:5s will not be connected via the low lag 5 GHz band of the surrounds, so the TV output will be buffered before sending to the Play:5s.  This results in a noticeable lag, which will sound like an echo in the room, and will result in lip sync issues.  There is no way to send the TV audio from the Amp to the Play:5s without this lag.