2 center speakers as soundbar?

• 7 September 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
My space around the TV is a bit limited and therefore I opted for the Beam at the time. (1's as surround and sub). Actually I'm happy with it but I'd like to have a wider soundstage. I can't justify myself to get the Playbar as it is old product already and I like the HDMI.

So my new idea is as follows; I have the Sonos AMP with HDMI, but not the space to place 2 bookshelf speakers next to the TV. Would it be possible to use 2 passive center speakers, connect 1 as left channel and 1 as right channel and place them next to each other in front of the TV, creating a kind of soundbar.

I'm I just weird or did anyone investigated (or even done) this before? I'm interested about your thoughts. Perhaps I'm missing major downsides. In my mind it should work. 😅

2 replies

You're obviously considering wide/shallow speakers which, when sat next to each other, are considerably wider than the Beam.

It would certainly work, as an alternative to the Beam, but whether it sounds good is down to your own judgement. The Amp doesn't have a centre channel per se, as it generates a phantom centre from the two passive speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The Amp doesn't have a centre channel per se, as it generates a phantom centre from the two passive speakers.

Yes, I'm aware of that, so technically it should work. That was also the reason I came up with the idea, as I started looking for passive soundbars, but that are hard to find with both a left and right terminal.