14.16 is released, any luck in improvement?

• 20 September 2022
  • 35 replies

14.16 is released, any luck in improvement? 

35 replies

Badge

Trying Netflix. On stereo mode is louder than 5.1. 

Definitely agree. It’s really louder

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I just calibrated Trueplay while I had the Sub in the hallway with the door closed. After that I placed back the sub in it’s original position. With Trueplay on, I don’t need to turn the slider all the way up to +12. The bass is good now at sub-level 0. So I think this a good solution until there is a fix (whenever that might be).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Makes me wonder…. What if you move the Sub to another room physically, then retune Trueplay, and then move Sub back in its original position. 

Theoretically the Trueplay tuning should raise the sub-level, because with tuning, the bass was not (or hardly) picked up by the iOS device. 

I think I will give that a go too, let’s see what happens…. Anyone else having thoughts about this method?

That’s a clever idea @JeroenVR! I’m going to try that this weekend.

My sub seems to be working fine. I still have never gotten a straight answer as to whether this is effecting Sub3 users (as Peter Pee on YT implies) or just sub1/2 users.

Badge

So Atmos is back on all but HBOMAX….TV updated apps is what killed hbo Atmos but fixed Netflix and amazon .Sony XBR900e ,arc/gen3 sub

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

WOW, I finally did another A/B test by turning off TruePlay. Previously I had not heard a bid difference, WOW, it’s a whole different sounding system. I’ve been using my Arc 5.1.2 with a sonic handicap for months. Bass is so much more punchy, though the trade off is the mids/highs are less articulate. I can hear how the Arc is processing the 5.1 channels with TruePlay. They’re both good, just very different. 

• TruePlay: More detail sound in the front 3 channels, especially with surround; mids are extremely articulate; bass is flattened and loses its very bottom response; doesn’t fill the room like with no-TruePlay, even on +15
  • No-TruePlay: Bass’s bottom end fills the room, perhaps a bit of boomy-ness; with surround I can hear environment  sounds (wind etc) from a film scene much louder and more prevalent in the rear speakers, though can’t decide if like this; TruePlay had really tightened and put those sounds in the Arc; in some ways this is better and in some ways not.

Keeping TruePlay off for now and dialing up my equalization with the controls available in S2.
@JeroenVR @nik9669a 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

WOW, I finally did another A/B test by turning off TruePlay. Previously I had not heard a bid difference, WOW, it’s a whole different sounding system. I’ve been using my Arc 5.1.2 with a sonic handicap for months. Bass is so much more punchy, though the trade off is the mids/highs are less articulate. I can hear how the Arc is processing the 5.1 channels with TruePlay. They’re both good, just very different. 

• TruePlay: More detail sound in the front 3 channels, especially with surround; mids are extremely articulate; bass is flattened and loses its very bottom response; doesn’t fill the room like with no-TruePlay, even on +15
  • No-TruePlay: Bass’s bottom end fills the room, perhaps a bit of boomy-ness; with surround I can hear environment  sounds (wind etc) from a film scene much louder and more prevalent in the rear speakers, though can’t decide if like this; TruePlay had really tightened and put those sounds in the Arc; in some ways this is better and in some ways not.

Keeping TruePlay off for now and dialing up my equalization with the controls available in S2.
@JeroenVR @nik9669a 

Let’s hope we all get this fixed in a few weeks and all this experimenting will end 🙏

For me, tuning trueplay with the sub temporarily in another room, is the best option. Now I need to decrease the Sub-level to -2 with true play enabled, instead of +9 or +10. The bass does sound about right now in my situation. I even do believe the bass isn't muddy anymore as it was since patch 14.12

I also did experiment with true play disabled, but I simply can’t get the soundstage as it is with trueplay enabled.
Next upgrade I want to do is get a 2nd sub, but therefore this bug needs to get fixed first. So fingers crossed for the next patch 🤞
When Sonos manage to get this nightmare to an end, I will immediately order a 2nd sub.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

For me, tuning trueplay with the sub temporarily in another room, is the best option.

I forgot about your most excellent suggestion @JeroenVR , earlier in the thread. I want to try this. Can you give me a detailed, step by step of what you did and where you tune with you iPhone? E.g., 

1. How do you choose sub placement point in the other room?
  2. Do you take the iPhone while tuning into that room?; if so…
  3. How much time do you spend in the sub only room?
  4. Any other technique suggestions for this tuning process?

Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I just disable trueplay for now, bass is back and sounds good to me, until they sort the issue out, hopefully in next update. Too much of a faff taking sub out of room and retuning. New update will no doubt require another retune as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

For me, tuning trueplay with the sub temporarily in another room, is the best option.

I forgot about your most excellent suggestion @JeroenVR , earlier in the thread. I want to try this. Can you give me a detailed, step by step of what you did and where you tune with you iPhone? E.g., 

1. How do you choose sub placement point in the other room?
  2. Do you take the iPhone while tuning into that room?; if so…
  3. How much time do you spend in the sub only room?
  4. Any other technique suggestions for this tuning process?

Thanks!
  1. Sub placement in other room makes no difference, since the whole idea is, to get rid of the sounds from the sub while tuning. Just place it, plug in the power and close the door.
  2. I don’t take the iPhone into the room where the sub is located. I just do the trueplay tuning in the arc-room as I would before. Just scan the Arc-room and since the iPhone hardly detects the sub, it will boost the sub up.
  3. I don’t spend time in the room where the sub is located while tuning.
  4. No, this is pretty much it. Don't forget after tuning to place the Sub back in its original place.

Since I sometimes have contact with Peter Pee over the mail, I informed him about this technique and asked what he thinks. He mentioned there is a 50% possibility chance that the Sub becomes out of phase while doing this. I’m probably lucky, since it sounds very well in my environment.

Badge

All this machinery making modern music and still be open hearted…..RUSH…