Wish I didn't buy Sonos, Doesn't integrate with my home devices

• 20 February 2022
  • 5 replies

These speakers are good enough.

In a world where interoperability is the norm, Sonos just doesn’t cut it.  

I can’t get my TV audio to stream wirelessly.

I can’t get my other non-Sonos speakers to play at the same time as the Sonos.  

If you have other Google home devices, don’t pay extra for the Sonos One’s with the assistant integration--they don’t integrate. You can only reinstall the music services and they will not work the same.  I don’t know what the point of that is.  Actually, the point is to likely to try and force Sonos users to buy only Sonos speakers.  But the world isn’t like this in 2022.  

I hope the Product Owner was replaced and there are plans to actually make these work in a connected home with other devices.  

The speaker quality is 6/10 for the price.  I might replace them with the Klipshe. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thanks for sharing yours. 

Yes, good luck with whichever system(s) you settle on. Sonos has always been a self-contained multiroom system. Interoperability has never been on the agenda. That won't suit everyone,  although it's fine by me. We all have different requirements. 

And maybe Sonos are less keen on interoperability because they have key patents for multiroom audio synch?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In my experience vendor lock-in is the norm. Interoperability is often promised, but never completely delivered.

My Hue smart plugs work beter with my Hue Bridge than my Osram smart plugs. My Samsung TV can do almost nothing with Google Assistant. My iPhone works better with my Apple TV than with my Nvidia Shield. It is irritating at times, but that's the world we live in.

So Sonos is not alone in this, and has, to their credit, opened up to Google and Amazon Alexa assistents.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you want help?  This is a community support forum and maybe some of the issues you have are easy to solve?  If not then I’m sure the Klipshe forum users are in for a treat!

These speakers are good enough.

In a world where interoperability is the norm, Sonos just doesn’t cut it.  

I can’t get my TV audio to stream wirelessly.

Unless you’re talking about bluetooth, or the TV and speakers are the same brand (like Samsung), I’m not aware of any TV that wirelessly sends audio to speakers wirelessly.  It is not the norm.

I can’t get my other non-Sonos speakers to play at the same time as the Sonos.  

Try getting Apple, Google, and Amazon speakers to play together. If it’s the norm, should be easy right?  Sonos does have Apple Airplay 2 functionalty, so it can play together with other devices that are airplay compatible.

If you have other Google home devices, don’t pay extra for the Sonos One’s with the assistant integration--they don’t integrate. You can only reinstall the music services and they will not work the same.  I don’t know what the point of that is.  Actually, the point is to likely to try and force Sonos users to buy only Sonos speakers.  But the world isn’t like this in 2022.  

You’re assuming that Google was on board with it’s speakers play in sync with Google?  I honestly don’t think either company was onboard with this for multiple reasons.  Sonos had to convince Google to allow them to use Google voice with Sonos, so I can’t imagine Google was pushing for audio in sync.

I hope the Product Owner was replaced and there are plans to actually make these work in a connected home with other devices.  

It’s a company wide decision, not a particular product.  And it surely goes beyond just the product design, but legal and marketing as well, really all the way up to the CEO...which has not changed.

The speaker quality is 6/10 for the price.  I might replace them with the Klipshe. 

If your actually trying to provide a recommendation to others, it’s a good idea to state which Sonos speaker your specifically talking about.  Does Klipshe make smart speakers now?