Answered

Wife can't request music by voice, but other things work by voice

• 5 February 2023
  • 3 replies

We have several Sonos speakers, 3 of which have voice, using Google. My wife and I each have Google Assistant and our own Spotify user profiles. For both of us, Google obeys commands for things such as turning on lights, and it recognizes each of us by name if we ask “Who am I”. However, it only works for me when asking for music. For my wife, it says it doesn’t understand. She successfully sends music to Sonos using her Spotify app, but using voice doesn’t work.

Any suggestions? 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 7 February 2023, 14:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have a new problem since fixing the original one. Now, when either my wife or I ask Google for a lighting scene through the Sonos speakers, it no longer works. It says it can’t reach Lutron, but if we ask for a scene through Google Assistant on a phone, it does work. Asking for individual lights to be turned on or off through Sonos still works. Just the scenes don’t.

I checked, and Google Assistant was understanding her, so I moved on to removing and re-adding it, and it worked! Thought I had tried that before, but I guess not. Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @JRon2, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s a very strange issue since Google Assistant works fine for you but doesn’t for your wife. I’d suggest checking if Google Assistant is hearing your wife’s commands correctly by looking into MyActivity on your Google account. You can do this by going into the Google Home app → Top Right Icon → My Activity then filter to voice commands and see what exactly was received. It would be worth checking how your wife’s command is heard by Google compared to yours.

If you haven’t tried already, removing and re-adding Google Assistant to the account would be worth trying. We have the steps and a few other troubleshooting tips on our support article for commands not working with Google Assistant.

If the article above doesn’t help, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team for further assistance, as they have the tools necessary to troubleshoot this issue with you.

I hope this helps!