Question

Unable to re-add Sonos One

Badge

My Sonos One, which was working fine until today, suddenly quit responding to voice commands using the Google Assistant.  Starting this morning when I gave it any voice command it responded back with an “unable to connect to Sonos” message.  I tried a reset on the device.  When I attempt to set it up again I get to this point in the process ….

Connecting

Please wait while the connection is completed …

It spins its wheels for a few minutes and eventually comes back with this message: 

Not connected

Your Sonos product was not found.  If your product is a long way from your router, you may need to try moving it closer.

I’ve tried this multiple times.  I also tried the option to re-add the speaker while connected directly to the router but the result was the same.  I also rebooted the router.  I also quit and restarted the Sonos app.

I have another Sonos One speaker which is working fine, so this does not appear to be a network or environmental problem.  

Help!

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Abe Froman.

Thanks for your response and for the additional details you provided.

That could be the reason why it’s not showing on the system because it is using the guest network and that is not a supported setup, it must be on the non-guest or main WiFi network.

You can check this article about Sonos system requirements for more additional information.

If you will look back on my second response, this is the reason why I tried to verify if the connection is on the regular Wifi network (2.4Ghz) on both Sonos and your controller, using the guest network causes communication conflicts on the Sonos system.

Yes, it’s possible to connect on extenders that might be blasting its own WiFi signal instead of supposedly just extending your main WiFi. 

Let’s try to configure your network to work with Sonos, and we need to set it up first to the right Wifi.

For this troubleshooting, you need to unplug those extenders and use just your basic network connection, and here’s how I understand it should be:

Arris MG5225G/NA (Modem) >  Google Nest Wifi (connected to the modem via ethernet cable)

Now, using another ethernet cable, connect one of Sonos speaker directly to the Google Nest Wifi: 

Arris MG5225G/NA (Modem) >  Google Nest Wifi (connected to the modem via ethernet cable) > Sonos speaker (connected via ethernet cable)

Then, try to save the right Wifi information to Sonos, using your mobile controller:

• Open the Sonos app
  • Select ‘Connect to an Existing System’
  • Sonos App should show your home page
  • Tap Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup  (please follow the prompt)
  • Once the wireless setup was completed, the app will tell you when to disconnect the ethernet cable and Sonos will be running through the saved WiFi network.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

The cable modem is an Arris MG5225G/NA.  The only router in the house is the Google Nest Wifi.  I’m not sure why the the Sonos devices would not show as being connecting to the Google router. Is it possible they are connecting through one of the extenders so that’s why they look different?  I can remove them if it’s possibly causing interference.  

Again, there is only one router in the house and it only has two networks configured: guest and non-guest.  I put all of the Sonos devices on the guest network.

I hope any solution will not involve getting my ISP involved for support.  Otherwise this will never see a resolution.  

Everything was working fine until a few days ago ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Abe Froman.

Thanks for your response and for the additional details.

What is the make and model of the cable modem where the Google device is connected?

Do you have a separate router(s) aside from the modem that is active on your system?

I checked the IP addresses on your network and there are different devices blasting WiFi signals that have the same WiFi name.

It’s interesting because it appears that your controller and the speaker are not connected to Google’s network.

You seem to have multiple Wifi networks running on your system, and that is causing the conflict, the trick is we need to connect on the right network.

Before adding the other speaker, I suggest that your network needs to be configured first and this will avoid not only this issue but the future conflicts as well that you might encounter on this kind of set up.

You have two options; do Bridge Mode so that other router will just act as a passthrough, or just turn off its ability to emit Wifi.

Your Internet Service Provider can assist you with either of the two options.

To sum it up, knowing which Wifi to connect is the best way to manage your Sonos system.

You can also view the Sonos system requirements article on our support website for more information.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Cable modem > Google Nest Wifi (via ethernet).  There are two additional Google Nest points in the house.  There are also a few extenders plugged in various places which probably aren’t doing much any more.  

Again, everything was working fine until a few days ago.  There have been (intentional) changes to my internal network, either hardware or configuration.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Abe Froman.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

Upon checking on the diagnostic, it still shows the same thing.

At this point, I would like to know the router’s model to check if we have a known issue with it.

Please confirm how your devices are wired to each other, like for example, from the Modem, a router is connected via ethernet cable, and so on.

If you have extenders or any networking devices, please indicate them too.

I am looking forward to those details and I’ll help you further from here.

Badge

I attempted (and failed) to set up the problem speaker again.  Here is a new diagnostic report confirmation number.  Maybe it will show something.

Badge

There are two Sonos speakers in the house.  The family room speaker appears to still be working fine.  The one I’m having problems with is the office speaker.  There have been no changes on my internal network.  The problem speaker (office) has a solid white light.  The microphone light is off and does not respond.  

I’ll try your links but i’ve already spent a couple hours looking through troubleshooting articles on the Sonos website and nothing has worked yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Abe Froman.

Thanks for the response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking, there’s only one speaker showing and it’s the Sonos One named ‘Family Room’.

This looks like more of an IP conflict, and when issues like this spring up,  the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem.

• What is the status of the light in the missing speaker?
  • Ensure that the connection is on the regular Wifi network (2.4Ghz) on both Sonos and your controller.
  • Wireless interference can contribute to issues like Sonos speakers disappearing from the app.
  • Check if all controllers are affected or if it's just one controller.

This article will help you bring back a Sonos speaker that has disappeared from your Sonos app.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Your confirmation number is: 1160123320.

Thank you for the response and I look forward to follow-up.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Abe Froman.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.