Answered

Turning off Google Assistant confirmations

• 18 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Is there a solution to have Google Assistant stop announcing which playlist or song is going to be played via Spotify using my Sonos speakers? I like to have the music start without Google Assistance actually announcing it first.

Thanks for your input.

icon

Best answer by Mark P 18 September 2020, 18:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @camel P.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

This feature of google announcing the songs going to be played is controlled by Google.

Google assistance is just forwarding all its command to Sonos.

So I'm afraid there’s nothing we can do about this in the meantime.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The feature you’re asking for has been discussed many a time in other communities on other platforms.

A “brief mode”, a feature available on Amazon Echo speakers, isn’t available on any Google Assistant speakers at this moment, including the devices made my Google.

One thing that isn’t working on Sonos speakers only is turning off lights assigned to the same room as the speaker with a chime instead of Google Assistant shouting “TURNING OFF BEDSIDE LIGHT” at you.

Can you at least allow two separate volume levels (one for the speaker) and one for google assistant?  Sonos should at least figure out how to do this as there must be a way for your software to know whether it's streaming something from my library versus handling an asssitant request.  I know this is the case because your speakers  are capable of lowering the general volume while the assistant is listening and responding.  All that is needed is the ability to also control/set the assistant volume.

I have had SONOS products for over a decade and appreciate much about them but smart devices are now the norm and this sort of "clunky" interface is detrimental to your future as it makes other products seem more reasonable.

I know you say you're only relaying the info from google but your software decides/sets how loud that will be.  We should be able to control this functionality.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Can you at least allow two separate volume levels (one for the speaker) and one for google assistant?  Sonos should at least figure out how to do this as there must be a way for your software to know whether it's streaming something from my library versus handling an asssitant request.  I know this is the case because your speakers  are capable of lowering the general volume while the assistant is listening and responding.  All that is needed is the ability to also control/set the assistant volume.

I have had SONOS products for over a decade and appreciate much about them but smart devices are now the norm and this sort of "clunky" interface is detrimental to your future as it makes other products seem more reasonable.

I know you say you're only relaying the info from google but your software decides/sets how loud that will be.  We should be able to control this functionality.

I see where you’re coming from.

As I mentioned previously, not even Google’s own speakers support this feature, although it isn’t needed as much on those devices for the following reasons:

The volume of Google Assistant on Google’s own devices (and including third parties), although not user-controllable, seems to always be slightly lower than the media volume whilst playing music. This unfortunately isn’t the case with the Google Assistant on Sonos which of course is annoying and has been going on since day 1.

GA on Sonos also lacks night mode, which disables broadcast messages and other notifications and lowers the overall volume to a custom value between certain user-configurable times.

And to be honest with you, I don’t think any of these issues will be taken care of anytime soon, as people have been complaining about this for ages and nothing has been done about it.

Fair enough.  Guess my option is to return two smart Sonos speakers purchased over the holidays