Answered

Turn down Assistant volume on Sonos One?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

98 replies

I’m here for the solution to this problem too. Get onto it guys, like the other bloke said in a previous comment. Paying a premium for a quality experience is what is expected, otherwise we’re paying a premium for peanuts. Cheers guys and nice work with producing quality sound. ;-) Just fix the problem! ;-)

Userlevel 1

That's correct, but then you gain the ability to lower the volume on that one specific device which is not a part of Sonos. I chose a Nest Hub as the default media output and turned down the volume on that device. No more screaming. 

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

With the Google Assistant, you can play music, find answers courtesy of Google Search, plan your day, set timers, and easily control smart devices around your home. And, with a Chromecast device, access TV and movies by using a simple voice command. 

The integration also supports features specific to Google Assistant, like continued conversation, meaning you can ask the Google Assistant a series of questions without having to say “Hey Google” every time. For more information on using Google Assistant to control Sonos, please see this link.

We’ll continue to bring more actions and functionality to the experience over time through software. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

We don’t care about features, we need separate volume control because assistant volume is crazy high compared to music or movie which just played. I am going to return my sonos, because this is unacceptable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

We're in luck.
Just found this at 9to5Google

https://9to5google.com/2019/07/20/google-home-assistant-volume/

Apparently Google has still not rolled this feature out generally on their own speakers after 5 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, Bigskull. I can answer for Ryan. Thanks for your comments. I can understand your irritation at the lack of this feature. Unfortunately, we neither have any details to share, nor can we offer a time frame for resolution. The teams rarely share what they are working on, even with us. All we can really do is forward the feedback we receive. Let us know if you have any further remarks. 

I too would like to see independent volume control for the assistant versus the audio output.

I also want a fix SOON.

At least a quick fix... now!

I fixed mine !  If you recall, you can change the voice volume of your Google Hub speaker by telling it “ SET DISPLAY VOLUME 10% and it adjusts the hub voice volume accordingly.  Now I found I can do the same with my MOVE (with the Move Microphone on).  My Move speaker is named “Move” in Google Home, so I said “Hey Google, set MOVE volume 10%” and it works.  Give it a try.

Did the same with my MOVE and even though GA said it didn’t recognize my command it lowered the volume nicely. ABSOLUTELY great and I don’t know why the Sonos team don’t info about this option.. 

Cheers

Userlevel 2

Any progress on this, or a workaround? The volume is jarringly high and makes it really dumb to use the assistant in some situations.

I’ve just received my Sonos One gen 2 speaker. 

I love the sound so regularly set the volume relatively high to listen to music. I then forget and at night when I tell Google to turn off my lights the assistant’s response comes booming out!

It seems like this is a common request, so please could you update the community on where this is in the list of developments, if at all?

Many thanks.

This is an absolute must, I keep my bedroom beam verrrry low so I barely can hear it while falling asleep, but I can’t even hear google assistant when asking it for my morning routine, etc unless I turn it up first. We absolutely need independent volume control. 

It’s actually possible to do this with routines. If you go in to your Google Home app, click on routines, find the “Good Morning” routine, you can then add an action to “adjust media volume” and place it at the top of the routine list. 

Userlevel 1

I literally just installed it 11pm and I thought I would set it up nice and quiet like.... One okay Google later the walls are SHAKING with Google responding their was a glitch try again in a few seconds. I thought there is for sure a control for this and then I stumbled on this gem.

Moderator Note: Removed Profanity. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@TheRealOne I've tried setting this routine, though the Home-app seems to only be able to start routines from both my Home Mini's, not from my Sonos speakers. Is thsi specific for my system?

I came here and signed up to the forum just to add my support to the request to have a separate volume setting for when Google Assistant (or Alexa) is talking to you. Right now it is deafening using the assistant if you forget to turn the volume down after listening to music and it is also a total pain having to work around the issue by turning up the volume every time I want to start listening to music and then turning it down again when I’ve finished. It significantly impacts the user experience for those of us who really do want to use the assistant capabilities (in my case Google Assistant) in addition to using it to play music. (I have a Sonos Move but am also considering getting a couple of Sonos Ones for a couple of fixed locations in my home.)

@TheRealOne I've tried setting this routine, though the Home-app seems to only be able to start routines from both my Home Mini's, not from my Sonos speakers. Is thsi specific for my system?

I’ve just tried it on my Sonos One and it works if I say “OK Google, Good Morning” it runs my Good Morning routine which includes the volume control. But you’re right, you can’t set the Sonos as the default speaker for routines from the Home app.

Thanks for adding your voice.

We'll make sure to add it to the request, but we don't have any news on if or when this might happen.

@Edward R 

customer feedback:

your teams spoils really be engaging in bio directional communication such that you can service us - your clients. The response you give protects the company via compartmentalism but impacts your brand image very negatively as it illustrates a non customer centric approach to supporting your product.

Simply stating what you have is extraordinarily concerning. This standard feedback response needs to be re-thought by whoever put it in place.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m completely stunned by Sonos’s arrogance and incompetence. With apologies to the Sonos employees who answer queries on this forum, but the fact that nobody involved in product development at Sonos is willing to give assurances that a UX bug this big is going to be fixed shows a continued contempt by Sonos management towards its customers.

Yesterday I took delivery of two Sonos Ones for my office. It’s an inferior setup to the ZP120/Tannoy Revolution DC4 speakers but having to upgrade a whole Sonos system quickly during a time of economic uncertainty means I have to take a look at what kit I’m really using, and a Sonos Amp with its ramped up price compared to the ZonePlayer is overkill in some rooms.

You know what, if I am going to replace old kit with new, the new stuff actually needs to be good! To be honest, I didn’t really need the voice assistant, but I hate having stuff that doesn’t work and now I regret buying the Sonos Ones.

Back in the day, Sonos justified its premium price with a superb user experience. I still miss the controller that would switch on when I picked it up and took me straight to my music.

Fast forward to 2020 and Sonos is a greedy money-sucking company that can’t even be bothered to fix a volume control on a music system. Anger and regret. That’s how Sonos makes this customer feel. Five-zone upgrade now on hold.

Just wanted to add my voice. +1 for this request.

Also to respond to people's frustration. I am a customer and I share the frustration, however, I've also worked where these Sonos reps stand. As a liaison, their job is to take your feedback to the team.... Not the other way around.

It's not really an arrogance thing either. The teams have roles and responsibilities. The product development team is super busy working on developing products. And where they are happy to take input, the ability and patience to provide output is very limited. If the "liaison" team were to corner a product development team member to take time out to give information, despite being well intentioned, heads would roll. I can just imagine a project manager intervening with a "what are you doing, these guys are busy".

So, in all reality, find the CEO's Twitter account and post a comment at the top. These guys just want to keep their jobs. Obviously, you're looking for a culture change at Sonos which is not very likely to happen over a forum post.

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

For what it’s worth, Google and Sonos are in the midst of a legal dispute so this situation is not likely to improve. Sonos may have gotten screwed over if you take their argument at face value, but Google has more money and experience on their side. Sonos needs Google, not the other way around. The longer this is drawn out, the less likely we hear of an amicable resolution.

Actually, I remember reading some where that even though there is a lawsuit the two companies have still been able to work together.  Even after they started their legal battle, Voice Match was finally launched on Sonos products plus the wake word sensitivity also added.

But this is purely a Google issue.  It's just something Google hasn't addressed. All Home speakers behave in the same fashion. Word is they are working on it but nothing has come of it.

Badge

Adding to this, as I previous had a One after GA support launched, and ended up returning it because the support was very unreliable. I got the Lunar White Move yesterday and see that the assistant volume is still extremely loud which makes it problematic to use in the bedroom at night when trying to turn off lights, or set alarms, etc. This really can’t be that difficult to change and I hope that all the litigation going on b/w these two organizations right now doesn’t hamper improvements to this feature.

Both apps suck

This website gave me two errors prior this posting

This basic functionality is being ignored for 2 years.

As soon as there is a chance I'll get rid of my sonos stuff. I'm so fed up. With the latest beam update they even managed to break chromecast/TV shutdown commands randomly with "unknown error occurred"

So Sonsos Staff, don't mind me. You lost me. But you may want to keep other customers. 

You need to fix this Sonos, this makes me wanna sell all my Sonos ones

See my new post on it.

For what it’s worth, Google and Sonos are in the midst of a legal dispute so this situation is not likely to improve. Sonos may have gotten screwed over if you take their argument at face value, but Google has more money and experience on their side. Sonos needs Google, not the other way around. The longer this is drawn out, the less likely we hear of an amicable resolution.

We're in luck.
Just found this at 9to5Google

https://9to5google.com/2019/07/20/google-home-assistant-volume/

Doesn't apply to the Sonos One speakers.