Answered

Turn down Assistant volume on Sonos One?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

98 replies

Userlevel 3

You need to fix this Sonos, this makes me wanna sell all my Sonos ones

Userlevel 2
Badge

Another option since Sonos is pinning this issue on Google would be to implement the functionality so Google Assistant doesn't repeat every command back to you. If I turn on the lights, I don't need it yelling at me to confirm "ok turning on the hallway lights". Google products have been able to do this for 6+ months, you get a small audible sound rather than repeating the entire command back to you.

I had a feeling buying Sonos products with Integrated Google Assistant would result in inferior functionality and stagnant updates. It's been a year and I haven't seen any of the Google Assistant issues fixed, and these are things regular Google home minis can do. 

At first, the level was acceptable. But now (a year later) the volume level of my assistant looks like to keep getting harder every day. The buttons on the speaker itself won't react to the volume change.

Now with the Coronavirus times I'm able to work a lot from home, and would like te be updated by my smartspeaker with the latest news updates. Unfortunately, my neighbours get the new for free too now :rofl:

Sonos → Google GET TOGETHER, man up, or do whatever you'd like to do this summer. But please give us the asked changes to freely adjust the volume settings.

yours sincerely,

My neighbours and I.

I fixed mine !  If you recall, you can change the voice volume of your Google Hub speaker by telling it “ SET DISPLAY VOLUME 10% and it adjusts the hub voice volume accordingly.  Now I found I can do the same with my MOVE (with the Move Microphone on).  My Move speaker is named “Move” in Google Home, so I said “Hey Google, set MOVE volume 10%” and it works.  Give it a try.

Please fix this soon... This way it is very uncomfortable and unusable. Especially in the evening. Would not recommend!

Quite honestly, I feel like Sonos doesn't take us seriously. Everywhere they have been giving the same answer for more than 1 year, but if you ask if there are changes to come, it remains silent.

Please fix this issue! The VA volume is way too loud for my office. Everyone down the hall can hear it.

Thanks for the heads up. Just cancelled my Sonos Roam because of the voice volume issue

Is it possible to turn down the Assistant volume on the Sonos One independently of the music volume?

I have my Sonos One fairly loud but don't need the Assistant to shout!

I'd like this also!!! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
ah man... this is disappointing.

I did not even think about it before posting the link.
The Google assistant settings for Sonos is in the Sonos app and unfortunately I do not see the equalizer settings there.

I sought out this community forum specifically to make this request; I’m glad someone else made it. I purchased Sonos specifically for the Google Assistant integration, but this annoyance is making me reconsider buying more speakers.

It’s very strange how they didn’t see this themselves. 
This really is a problem for them to consider doing something about and fast. I would use the feature everyday if it wasn’t screaming at night in my apartment. Now I never use it because it gives me stress. Not a very pleasant experience. The speaker is great! But everything needs to be great. 

Even if it is a Google problem, it’s also a Sonos problem to solve on behalf of their customers. No buck passing allowed. Sonos has far more influence than individuals do.  Protect your brand integrity please. 

is the screaming Google Assistant fixed in the meantime? can I control the volume of it?

Userlevel 1

I have come to avoid using GA on my Sonos One, and quite frankly wish I had kept the Play:1 it replaced. I agree with all the other comments made in that it's jarring, annoying to the point of abusive and not a pleasant experience for the neighbours! Google are missing out because it means that I'm not using the voice assistant as I would, and you are missing out as it means that my intention to invest in a Sonos powered smart home has ceased to be. 

Totally +1 to this. The whole experience using Google assistant in the living room when the Beam is the main speaker, is terrible. The program you are watching is turned down for an extended period while the assistant plays back to you everything you just said, at a loud volume. My Google home mini had stopped repeating every command back to me, and just turned on/off lights with a confirmation sound. Now I have to listen to "sure, turning the living room light off". Turning the TV in/off was always done silently. Now I have "sure, turning Sonos TV control living room on". Drives me nuts 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just tried it on the Sonos One in my office. It does seem to work! Great advice!

Hello everyone.

Thank you so much for the feedback about this. We strive to improve Sonos in anyway possible, and we cannot do it without your help. However, I do not have any information to share at this time. Rest assured, we take your feedback to heart regarding the volume on Assistant, and will pass this information to the appropriate team.

I would never have bought this kind of product (Sonos one) if I knew that Alexa and GA (WOULD SCREAM AT ME) (hands off) when it is in fact a “voice controlled” appliance. What I say is that even though I bought a voice controlled speaker I have to physically walk to my speaker and touch it with my finger a couple of times and then say what I want it to do, I like my stuff to NOT fuss with me. Instead it’s easier to quietly find my iPhone and find my hue app when I go to bed. Yes of course I’m lazy! That’s why I bought the product. Why else have a (voice controlled) speaker. What’s the point of you even answering if you don’t know everything about the subject that we in this forum are talking about? And requesting! 
The speaker is pricey and Sonos can (probably) pretty easy fix this with programming and updating the app. I’m no expert but can you integrate Alexa and GA into your app to work pretty seamlessly with your speakers then it would probably not be that fricking hard to get some kind of “slider” for the voice assistants. Thank you! 

Badge

Showed up here with the same problem, but it looks like there isn’t a solution, so I’m just adding a +1. I like my speakers, but this is almost a deal-breaker. I switched to Sonos from Google’s speakers since people were saying the GA functionality is almost identical, but the lack of attention to detail on the assistant volume is a terrible experience.

The minimum volume of the assistant is ridiculously loud if you’re in a quiet house. Even if Sonos volume is 1%, GA seems to respond at like 20%. 

Separate volume controls (and a volume limit for GA) would be great. I’d also really like to set these via GA (not just the Sonos app) so I can use them in Google Home routines (e.g. make sure my assistant is really quiet when I go to bed).

Adding to this complaint.

I took for granted there was a way to lower the GA volume but I see from all the other complaints there is none and it’s been an issue for more than 10 months. This can’t be a difficult fix, and is not a luxury experience from what is suppose to be a luxury product.

@SONOS: PLEASE, AT LEAST GIVE A WORK AROUND TO CUSTOMERS WHILE YOU ARE (HOPEFULLY) trying to figure this out.

The assistant volumes are really WAY TOO LOUD.

PS-  I wanted to add that I switched to Google Assist at because I do not want to support Amazon and Amazon products but sadly Alexa doesn’t have this issue. I hope Sonos and Google get on assistant and improve the experience so we don’t have to have everything Amazon :(

Such a nightmare, last one awake in my family and headed to bed "Okay Google, turn everything off" cue incredibly loud voice assistant "OKAY! TURNING OFF THREE LIGHTS!"

Everyone in the house now wide awake.

Badge

This is an absolute must, I keep my bedroom beam verrrry low so I barely can hear it while falling asleep, but I can’t even hear google assistant when asking it for my morning routine, etc unless I turn it up first. We absolutely need independent volume control. 

Userlevel 1

By the way, I found a workaround: in the Sonos app under Settings>Services>Google Assistant>your room>Google Assistant Settings>Default Media Output> and just choose something quiet. 

When I say “Hey Google, tell me about my day” I hear the greeting, overview of weather, traffic etc. at a nice volume on my Sonos One and then she shouts at me “Here’s the latest news.”  Hardware controls don’t work and the news stories that follow are at the same crazy loud volume.  If I needed to hear it 1000 feet away it would be perfect.  When I’m in the same room it’s assaulting.  This is sooooooooooooo annoying.

I've also come here looking for some way to turn down Google assistants voice. Any updates?