Question

Sorry, it looks like the requested content isn't currently available on Google Play Music

I recently switched my Sonos One from Alexa to Google Assistant, and it seems to mostly work for everything but the one thing I need a Sonos speaker for: playing music.

Whenever I ask the assistant to play an album, all I get in reply is "Sorry, it looks like the requested content isn't currently available on Google Play Music". I'm able to play radio stations on GPM just fine; it seems to only be an issue playing albums or songs. I'm able to play my albums via GPM from the So os app as well, just not using voice control. I also can't play albums to my Sonos speaker from the Google Assistant on my phone; same error message.

I have a Google Play Music premium account, and I've checked that Sonos and Google Assistant are using the same Google account. I'm not sure what else to try, so any help would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Perhaps try unlinking/relinking the Sonos Skill/Device in the Google App and see if that fixes it. Note you will have to re-install the GA on your speaker too via the Sonos App Room Settings.
Perhaps try unlinking/relinking the Sonos Skill/Device in the Google App and see if that fixes it. Note you will have to re-install the GA on your speaker too via the Sonos App Room Settings.

I forget to mention in my first post, but i did try that, and it didn't have any effect.
Some other things to try...

Reboot your router and power off/on your Sonos Speaker(s)

Re-authorise your google play music in the Sonos App by “long pressing' on the installed music service in settings and choose to reauthorise from the context menu.

Make sure your Sonos online profile and the Google App Language are each set to “English (United States)”.

Ensure there are no reported outages at the Sonos Status Page.
I tried all of those, and none of them made a difference.

I even tried switching to a different Google account and Google Play Music account since the one I was using was a Google Apps account, and they can be special sometimes. No difference. Same error.

It makes no sense. I can say "Hey Google, play music by The Sword" and it will happily work and shuffle music from all their albums, but "Hey Google, play Age Of Winters by The Sword" just gets me the same "OK, playing Age Of Winters on Google Play Music. Sorry, it looks like the requested content isn't currently available on Google Play Music"

A bit more experimentation shows that this isn't the only problem. For example, "Hey Google, play Cross by Justice" will play music by Justice, but it plays the album "Woman Worldwide" instead of "Cross".

Some albums seem to be recognized, but can't be played. If I say "Hey Google, play Odyssey by Home" the assistant helpfully says "I can't do that here, but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices".

Some albums even seem to work. I can say "Hey Google, play the album Human After All by Daft Punk" and it works correctly.

Honestly, the ability to play music from GPM was the whole reason I bought Sonos. Alexa doesn't work with GPM at all, so it wasn't super useful. I was excited for Google Assistant on Sonos, but so far it's a pretty big letdown.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Maybe this is related to the TuneIn radio station problem, where Google Assistant initially seems to find the station by name, but when it tries to play it we get "Sorry it looks like that content isn't currently available...".

Could it be a bug that corrupts the content name in transferring it from the search to the play step?

But there's no discernible pattern to the names yet as far as I can tell.
I also can't find a good pattern. It seems like there are more issues when multiple artists have the same name. There are two artists named "The Sword" on GPM, for instance. That doesn't seem to be the case for all of the problematic albums though. There's only one "Alice in Chains", but I get the same issue asking for some albums by them.

Overall the search capability seems very inaccurate. I suspect it will be improved over time, but for now I have like a 10% success rate in actually getting the album I asked for.
Same issue here... Although I'm trying by genre. "Italian music" does not work. "Dinner music" does.
Same issue here. I could get Velvet Underground to say but not Rock and Roll by Velvet Underground.
Badge
mbudnek, I had a similar problem with Spotify, which I eventually was able to resolve. Try this:

Go to the Sonos app > More > Settings > My Music Services > Google Play Music > Remove account. Remove the account, and then re-add it (My Music Services > Add another account).
I had a similar issue and ended up un-linking the Sonos skill from my Google Home app first. Instead of adding Google Assistant capabilities from the Sonos App to Google Home, I went the other way, and went to the Google Home App first, then added the Sonos skill from there. That seemed to resolve the issue for me.
Just wanted to add that I'm having the same issue with both Google Play Music and YouTube Music. I tried removing the services from the Sonos app and re-adding them but that didn't work. I also tried unlinking the sonos skill via the Google Home App but couldn't find a way to add the skill back without going in to the Sonos app.

Has anyone had any success resolving this issue recently?
I'm having the same issue - I have tried the removing and re-adding of services - but the same thing still happens - I can't seem to play any music using the sonos and the assistant. Any good pointers of how to fix this?
I'm having the exact same issue. Anyone found a solution yet?
Badge
Same issue with Spotify premium. Even tried factory resetting Sonos one. Google home speaker works fine. This is absolutely a Sonos issue
Badge
Mine just finally randomly fixed itself today. Wasn't working this morning but now I have Spotify Premium working as expected.
I'm seeing the same issue with GPM (paid) and YTM Premium. This has been ongoing since then beta of Google Assistant. I've tried unlinking all accounts and starting over with no improvement. We've also found that occasionally if you ask the same request multiple times it will work. As others have stated, this is quite frustrating as I bought the One when it came out to work with Google.